- pry Enstrom from Winnipeg.
- trade for Scandella
- trade for Wiercioch (last option)

I'd be a lot more comfortable with:

Enstrom/Scandella - Ristolainen
McCabe - Pysyk
rookie/Gorges - Bogosian
Franson

Not bad, I think Murray will really be looking at Anaheim for a defenseman though.

Ducks GM Bob Murray has said that with all their young defensemen about to get expensive that this will be an "interesting summer" for the Ducks. Maybe Fowler and/or Despres become available. As I have stated previously, which is a total pipedream (see: Pegula/Sabres, Pegula/Bills, Reinhart, Eichel #dreamscometrue), Lindholm could be available if he wants too much money, similar to Saad wanting over $6M/yr from the Hawks before being dealt out of conference for some prospects, it is a possibility.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
What would people add to Ennis to get JVR?
Just curious, not a huge cap hit, bigger guy, could see him being a good compliment to Eichel-Reinhart.

Leafs could hope for the best with Ennis, and they have the cash and cap to eat it if he doesn't recover, but could pick up a couple picks/prospects?

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Im not sure how I feel about Enstrom - I mean hes 31 allready - kind of small. Wil be 33 when Buffalo are probabaly going for Playoffs.. Just think hes out of that age window

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That Nash idea on the Trade Board is... interesting. Especially if it's not anything bigger than some 2nd rounders and picking up the tab on his contract for 2 years. I'm not a big fan of Nash, but the size and term fit. It isn't the first thing I'd want them to be in on, and certainly not for a large cost beyond some non-first round pick or picks. Has anyone run his numbers lately?

2 2nds and Borgen? I take it and run. In wonderland our lineup next year could look like this

Nash-ROR-Ennis
Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart
Kane-Larsson-Foligno
whatever

Enstrom/Minny D-Risto
Goligoski-Bogosian
Gorges-Pysyk

THAT is pretty exciting if you ask me. All falls down if we don't get that LHD to pair with Risto but the best case scenario sure is tempting :laugh:

Also why are some people saying we won't be going for playoffs in the next 2 years? If we don't make the playoffs in 2017-18, I bet most of us will be disappointed. Ideally we want to be a good team before Jack's and Sam's ELCs are up as we can be more liberal with player salaries. Someone like Nash fits right into that.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
No ill will intended towards Ennis, but posters need to build prospective rosters assuming he never plays hockey again, until he proves otherwise. He may, he may not, but to assume he will is not prudent.

Also, in what universe is Girgs in the top 6 a huge question mark?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yost is about the Pysyk +17 1st for Drouin. Everyone is too quick.

The only reason I am against this is because I'd prefer to keep that pick available for an offersheet. If the offersheet for Lindholm is off the table, or a trade using that pick for Brodin, then go for it. I'd prefer to grab the winger in the draft and use the pick to trade for a defensemen with experience, rather than vise versa.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No ill will intended towards Ennis, but posters need to build prospective rosters assuming he never plays hockey again, until he proves otherwise. He may, he may not, but to assume he will is not prudent.

It's more likely that he is on the roster next year then he is traded for an impact player, I'll tell you that much.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
3-15: DAN BYLSMA TALKS EICHEL, GOALIE PADS, AND MORE ON WGR (19:46)
Buffalo Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma on WGR NEXT

Bylsma on Ryan O'Reilly: "He's going forward like, at some point in time this week, he will return to play"

Bylsma on Evander Kane practicing with ROR: "Prior to Ryan's injury, Evander was playing with Ryan and doing well"

Bylsma: "We're taking a long term approach of where you might see our lines in the future"

Bylsma on reducing goalie equipment: "When there's a piece of equipment that people call a 'cheater' it should probably go away"

"There are individuals when you see them in their street clothes then when you see them in their gear...you know something fishy's going on"

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Or at least not trying to land a useful player in trade for him. He's damaged goods.

Apparently Craig Rivet's world.

It's more likely that he is on the roster next year then he is traded for an impact player, I'll tell you that much.

Yep. Not that he can't come back, that remains to be seen, but he's not going to hold value now and in the near future due to the risk of what his concussions will have done to him long-term.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not bad, I think Murray will really be looking at Anaheim for a defenseman though.

Ducks GM Bob Murray has said that with all their young defensemen about to get expensive that this will be an "interesting summer" for the Ducks. Maybe Fowler and/or Despres become available. As I have stated previously, which is a total pipedream (see: Pegula/Sabres, Pegula/Bills, Reinhart, Eichel #dreamscometrue), Lindholm could be available if he wants too much money, similar to Saad wanting over $6M/yr from the Hawks before being dealt out of conference for some prospects, it is a possibility.

I think Lindholm or Fowler coming available is unlikely. Ducks are at $63M right now in money spent, and they drop Perron, McGinn, Horcroft, Stewart, and Khudobin this summer, which is about $12M, with only $6M kicking in for Despres and Gibson. They'll re-sign Lindholm before he ever hits RFA. If they need to make a move on an RFA, it'll be Vatanen first. I think GMBM would much prefer to move Stoner, Cogliano, or Silfverberg prior to undoing the core of his defense.

Therefore, I don't see Anaheim as an option.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Im not sure how I feel about Enstrom - I mean hes 31 allready - kind of small. Wil be 33 when Buffalo are probabaly going for Playoffs.. Just think hes out of that age window

I feel awesome about Enstrom

He's a perfect fit, he "should" be available, he won't cost a core asset.

Get Enstrom, and we are close to talking about playoffs next year

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Enstrom is the perfect veteran defenseman that you could get 3-4 more solid years out of. The smart move would be to draft a couple more defensemen (not necessarily in the 1st round). Gives Guhle and said defensemen ample time to develop. I have high hopes for Guhle and don't want to see him rushed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I feel awesome about Enstrom

He's a perfect fit, he "should" be available, he won't cost a core asset.

Get Enstrom, and we are close to talking about playoffs next year

Hell, I look at someone like Andre Markov who's 7 years older and still think "that guy would so fit in here". Enstrom's fine. He'd be a great add.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Hell, I look at someone like Andre Markov who's 7 years older and still think "that guy would so fit in here". Enstrom's fine. He'd be a great add.

Yea.

We (including myself as much as anyone) get so wrapped up in pipe dreams of Lindholm, Brodin, etc. That getting really good, veteran, proven NHL defensemen becomes something of a backup plan... which is ridiculous.

This does not mean adding more garbage like Franson
This does not mean getting someone to fill cap space and leadership roles ala Gorges

This means getting puck movers, who can generate transition hockey and be quality defensive blueliners. Enstrom is ideal.

Can I have 2 Enstroms?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think Lindholm or Fowler coming available is unlikely. Ducks are at $63M right now in money spent, and they drop Perron, McGinn, Horcroft, Stewart, and Khudobin this summer, which is about $12M, with only $6M kicking in for Despres and Gibson. They'll re-sign Lindholm before he ever hits RFA. If they need to make a move on an RFA, it'll be Vatanen first. I think GMBM would much prefer to move Stoner, Cogliano, or Silfverberg prior to undoing the core of his defense.

Therefore, I don't see Anaheim as an option.

What I see with Anaheim assuming the cap doesn't change.

they have $19M free with 8F, 5D, and 1G under contract. they need 6 F, 2D, and 1 G to sign

RFAs in Anderson, Lindholm, Vatanen, Rakell, and Garbutt.

Assuming Andersen is traded it will still cost $1M for a backup goalie. If Rakell is signed to a 2 yr $2.5M bridge, the other 5 F slots are for $1M or less.

5F+1G=$6M, Rakell=$2.5M so

$10.5M space for Fowler and Vatanen. Can they sign both for under that???

If not then they need to trading someone. If its not one of them, then it would be Fowler or Despres.

they have Theodore to step in.

They could sign their D and then move someone else. the only players I could see them moving at forward would be Cogliano or Rakell to empty up cap space.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

they have $19M free with 8F, 5D, and 1G under contract. they need 6 F, 2D, and 1 G to sign

Assuming Andersen is traded it will still cost $1M for a backup goalie. If Rakell is signed to a 2 yr $2.5M bridge, the other 5 F slots are for $1M or less.

If not then they need to trading someone. If its not one of them, then it would be Fowler or Despres.

They could sign their D and then move someone else. the only players I could see them moving at forward would be Cogliano or Rakell to empty up cap space.

Im sure they can find people to take guys like Stoner

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Anyone have an ideas for guys playing in the minors who should get a look? Guys who maybe are not getting the chance they need.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Carrier really earned a call up and it hasn't worked out.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I think the Ducks move Stoner, Cogliano, and/or Silfverberg before a core defenseman, and Vatanen if they move an RFA.

Assume Buffalo has cap issues and Ristolainen and Maatta were on the team (hypothetical). Would you move either for cap reasons? Or would you try to shed salary from Franson, Gorges, Ennis, etc. first?

That's why Lindholm and Fowler won't be available. They'll keep good, core players and figure things out on the bottom 6.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Something to remember with the Ducks is they're traditionally a budget team. So how much cap space they have may not mean as much.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yea.

We (including myself as much as anyone) get so wrapped up in pipe dreams of Lindholm, Brodin, etc. That getting really good, veteran, proven NHL defensemen becomes something of a backup plan... which is ridiculous.

This does not mean adding more garbage like Franson
This does not mean getting someone to fill cap space and leadership roles ala Gorges

This means getting puck movers, who can generate transition hockey and be quality defensive blueliners. Enstrom is ideal.

Can I have 2 Enstroms?

If the other is spelled "Tyutin" sure.

Carrier really earned a call up and it hasn't worked out.

There is still time, but he's been so important to the Amerks that pulling him up may be counterproductive. I'd like him to get some sort of reward though, maybe a mid-week game.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think the Ducks move Stoner, Cogliano, and/or Silfverberg before a core defenseman, and Vatanen if they move an RFA.

Assume Buffalo has cap issues and Ristolainen and Maatta were on the team (hypothetical). Would you move either for cap reasons? Or would you try to shed salary from Franson, Gorges, Ennis, etc. first?

That's why Lindholm and Fowler won't be available. They'll keep good, core players and figure things out on the bottom 6.

Don't see Silfverberg. Cognliano--sure. Stoner---nobody will take him for free.

I agree Lindholm wont be moved.

I disagree on Fowler. He has 2 seasons then he is a UFA (In 2 seasons Theodore is done with his ELC). Fowler is on a nice deal now---but to resign him will likely cost $7M+.

If they give Lindholm a high cap hit, and have Depres at $4M, then Theodore behind them on an ELC. If you resign Fowler you are looking at $16M+ in the 3 LHD---$16M for 3 LHD is too much to be spending given a low $70Ms cap.

I see Fowler as someone of real trade value.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Custance wrote an article about what the GM's of Edmonton, Toronto, and Buffalo are looking for at this time of year (Insider):

Sabres GM Tim Murray’s focus will be on the young players on the Sabres as the season wraps up, even as much as he hesitates to say it.

“I always single out the young guys, and I hate doing that,” Murray said. “We are a future team, so I watch our young guys and not just Jack [Eichel] and not just Sam Reinhart. It’s a whole group. Right from our first-liners to our fourth-liners. Every day, you’re making judgment calls on who you’re going to go forward with.”

On using draft picks as trade bait:

He’s also looking for holes.

Murray started doing the math on how many draft picks the Sabres have in the next two drafts, and he couldn’t calculate a total with certainty. The best was an estimate of “about 20” in the next two drafts. According to generalfanager.com, the Sabres have exactly that.

“We have too many picks, probably,” he admitted.

So that means he’ll be aggressive on the trade front to add the right kind of players around his young stars using those picks as ammunition. Last year, the Sabres did well to add Ryan O'Reilly, Robin Lehner and Evander Kane in deals that were possible because Buffalo had so many picks and prospects.

He expects a similar caliber of players to be available via trade this offseason.

“I believe they will be,” Murray said. “Maybe not that age group. Maybe we’ll be ready to take an older guy from a team that is cap-crunched. We saw Patrick Sharp change teams, for example -- great player. I assume there are going to be those guys every year. Can I get them? We certainly have room. We certainly have the right players that a scoring winger would like to play with.”

On free agency:

And it doesn’t have to come via trade, either. Murray will be watching his games closely to identify needs, and other teams closely to see what free agents might shake loose.

The Sabres, he said, have plenty of room to be aggressive in the free-agent market.

“For sure,” he said. “We’re going to be young because that’s where we are in the development of our organization. You certainly need good veterans, and I would be very open to be able to sign a good veteran if there’s one available.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=7312

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad