Speculation: Roster Speculation 15-16, Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think he'll have any qualms about it. If we bring in two LHD better than both he and McCabe, and McCabe outplays him for the 6th spot, yeah Georges can ride the pine, go to Rochester, or get traded. And given those options, I'm sure he'll be happy to get traded.

or we use McCabe in the trade to get an LD...

TRADE McCabe, Baptiste, 2017 1st, 2018 1st for Lindholm
TRADE Pysyk, 2nd, 3rd for Scandella
TRADE at Deadline, Gorges for 2nd and 5th
DRAFT Chychrun
SIGN Ben Lovejoy

Lindholm-Risto
Scandella-Bogo
Chychrun-Lovejoy

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Sorry, but a LH version of Franson isn't getting me excited.

Might as well just land the top pairing LHD of our dreams and stop there and ride with TBD, McCabe, and Gorges on the left and Risto, Pysyk, Bogo, and Franson on the right.

Yea... i felt pretty silly typing it.

but we probably need to vet those opportunities a little more. I mean, I love dreaming about Lindholm, Scandella, Brodin, Enstrom, Fowler, etc too... but we are going to make some changes, and they might not be A+ acquisitions...

but back to dreaming :)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, for everyone who wants to add 2 LHD, do you expect Franson to get dealt this summer?

Or, do you expect the Sabres to ask Gorges to waive and he gets dealt?

The Sabres have 4 RHD and 2 LHD already coming back.

Unless McCabe or Pysyk are traded...

Franson gets moved or plain bought out. There's gonna be someone left wanting once the UFA's dry up

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Right&team=all&UFA=1

The RHD market is pretty slim, I could see a team like Toronto wanting to do a pump and dump where they give him a ton of PP time then sell him at the deadline (again :laugh:)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So, for everyone who wants to add 2 LHD, do you expect Franson to get dealt this summer?

Im not opposed to carrying 8 dmen, but supposedly our turd coach is.. what's holding us back from buying out franson.

Better question for dotcommunism, will McCabe be waiver safe next year? Cuz if we got 2 guys, say lindholm and goligoski, and McCabe couldn't beat out those two, I'd send him back to the ahl for 25 mins a night, if carrying 8 guys was an issue.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

DRAFT Chychrun
SIGN Ben Lovejoy

Lindholm-Risto
Scandella-Bogo
Chychrun-Lovejoy

I still don't see the value of rushing Chychrun to the NHL if we go that route.

Give him a year more in the OHL. Then a year in the AHL.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

DRAFT Chychrun
SIGN Ben Lovejoy

Lindholm-Risto
Scandella-Bogo
Chychrun-Lovejoy

No interest in trading pysyk. I think he is our rock at rhd 2. I don't like or trust bogos game. I see bogo being to slow upstairs for crunch time playoffs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I think he's NHL ready. And him playing in the OHL serves no purpose. He's physically ready, his skating matches up... He's got a lot to learn, but he's ready to learn it at the pro level. Watching him this year, you can see he's trying to/being told to play a more professional game. But, it's not easy to do that against lower competition. He needs a higher level of competition to kick start the next stage of his development. That's how I see it, in his case. Sure, I'd send him straight to the AHL if I could. But that's not possible, and I'm not wasting a year of development time by leaving him in a league he's out grown.

Notice I acquired Ben Lovejoy, who is like the God of pairing with young defensemen

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Ehh, I don't like guys with his physique staying in the little league. I don't think he gets the challenge he needs in that league to grow. Reminds me of Zadorov on that front. He would be perfect for a mixed year like Risto, ahl/nhl.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Is Alex Goligoski go into to be part of your core? Because if you go this route, he's going to have to be. Or you could just exercise a little patience and get it right.

Define core? Is he on the team for the next three years? Yeah. Would I be willing to trade him if McCabe/Chyrchun pass him on the depth chart and we get cap strapped? Sure. Why is this so hard?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Bogosian is a perfect 3rd pairing, physical RHD. He's a right-handed Mike Weber. The only thing separating them is Bogo's draft pedigree and several million dollars worth of annual pay due to draft pedigree.

Pysyk is our 2nd pairing RHD of the present and future, I'd be against trading him under anything but absolutely optimal circumstances.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Franson delt, Gorges delt, sure to either.

Or, if either is impossible, to the AHL (or bench in Georges case, depending on how bad he gets) until the contracts run. We're not cap strapped. We can eat their contracts if need be. But I'm sure they could both be dealt if it came to it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Franson gets moved or plain bought out. There's gonna be someone left wanting once the UFA's dry up

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Right&team=all&UFA=1

The RHD market is pretty slim, I could see a team like Toronto wanting to do a pump and dump where they give him a ton of PP time then sell him at the deadline (again :laugh:)

No reason at all to buy out Franson. Send him to Rochester if we have that luxury and we can't trade him. Don't need his cap room now. Might need it the year after when we're punished for the buy out.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think he's NHL ready. And him playing in the OHL serves no purpose. He's physically ready, his skating matches up... He's got a lot to learn, but he's ready to learn it at the pro level. Watching him this year, you can see he's trying to/being told to play a more professional game. But, it's not easy to do that against lower competition. He needs a higher level of competition to kick start the next stage of his development. That's how I see it, in his case. Sure, I'd send him straight to the AHL if I could. But that's not possible, and I'm not wasting a year of development time by leaving him in a league he's out grown.

Notice I acquired Ben Lovejoy, who is like the God of pairing with young defensemen

No chance the chl changes the rule, but it is a real bummer for the physical freaks. Hurts the league long term imo.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Bogosian is a perfect 3rd pairing, physical RHD. He's a right-handed Mike Weber. The only thing separating them is Bogo's draft pedigree and several million dollars worth of annual pay due to draft pedigree.

Pysyk is our 2nd pairing RHD of the present and future, I'd be against trading him under anything but absolutely optimal circumstances.

Agreed.
But I view Scandella as an ideal, in his prime, signed long term, below market value, true shutdown/d zone defensemen.

Those are optimal circumstances IMO.

In fact if you take the "pie in sky" Lindholm scenario out of the equation. Scandella is even MORE optimal, as I can slot him in next to Risto in the immediate, and if an upgrade presents itself, slide him down to 2LD and form a dzone shutdown pair there.

ie

Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Bogo/Lovejoy

in time...

XXXX-Risto
Scandella-Bogo/Lovejoy

XXX = Trade, UFA, Chychrun

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Ehh, I don't like guys with his physique staying in the little league. I don't think he gets the challenge he needs in that league to grow. Reminds me of Zadorov on that front. He would be perfect for a mixed year like Risto, ahl/nhl.

Chyrchrun can't go to the AHL next year. Or the year after, for that matter. He's only 17

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Would you accept this package for Ristolainen?

Manson, Noesen, 2017 1st, 2018 1st

maybe not but we're in a different situation. The Ducks are very healthy on D and up against the cap and will be forced to move someone. We are in no such situation, and trading one of our only long term solution Dmen is probably the last thing we would do.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Define core? Is he on the team for the next three years? Yeah. Would I be willing to trade him if McCabe/Chyrchun pass him on the depth chart and we get cap strapped? Sure. Why is this so hard?

So you are going to sign one of the top UFAs to this bottom dwelling team, make sure he doesn't have a NTC, on a short enough and cheap enough contract that if he deteriorates, you can unload him and his contract like nothing happened. Good luck. :laugh:

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
My point is, I don't think that package is enough to get him, but I guess it depends on how you value those firsts. And honestly, our organizational depth isn't very strong after trading for Kane/ROR - losing two firsts means two fewer decent (or better) cost controlled players when we will need them (after paying 15,23,55)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Would you accept this package for Ristolainen?

Manson, Noesen, 2017 1st, 2018 1st

Of Course not.... all Lindholm proposals are under the assumption that Anaheim won't match offersheet, and will want to work out a trade rather than take just picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad