Speculation: Roster Speculation 15-16, Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I have no qualms with McCabe. I'd love for him to grow into a top pairing LH D.

However, I'm also realistic that he won't be there next year. In an ideal world, he would have spent the entire year in the AHL getting 22+ minutes a night. He's had good nights and he's had bad nights. He's a young d-man.

Hope for the best with McCabe, but plan for him to continue to be inconsistent because of his age and experience. Much like Risto, who has struggled the last 15-20 games, there are going to be ups and downs.

Add 2 d-men this summer. Let McCabe put one of them out of a job. I'd much rather that then get 1 d-man and then have to go looking for another if McCabe isn't quite ready for prime time.

So you want to spend significant assets to acquire a defensemen to challenge McCabe so that he can put him out of a job (as Lindell would)? If you are spending assets, you are essentially saying Jake is gone. I am for acquiring two defensemen too, but one of them should be a UFA on a short contract, ala Franson, and the other should be a trade for a top pairing guy like Lindholm, Fowler, or Brodin, as has been discussed. Or, let McCabe battle with Gorges for that top 4 spot. Buoy don't even need to do the UFA addition. Just get the top pairing guy.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
In response to Chain on Murray's d acquisitions in the offseason:

It honestly makes me wonder if maybe Murray wasn't as keen on getting to the playoffs this year as he said. Do I think he wanted to tank and get DFL? No. But remember in the past he used to talk about the needs for several high picks. Maybe, in the grand scheme of things, he would've preferred picking somewhere in the top 10 as opposed to ~pick 20. And not pursuing a big name LHD like Sekera and instead signing turdburgers was a good way to ensure we didn't get too good too fast.

I'm sure this sounds stupidly conspiracy theorist, but it actually makes sense in my mind :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So you want to spend significant assets to acquire a defensemen to challenge McCabe so that he can put him out of a job (as Lindell would)? I am for acquiring two defensemen too, but one of them should be a UFA on a short contract, ala Franson, and the other should be a trade for a top pairing guy like Lindholm, Fowler, or Brodin, as has been discussed

What UFA LHD takes a short deal to come to Buffalo that is any good?

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Left&team=all&UFA=1

If you are good and willing to take a short deal, you are looking to sign with a contender, in all likelihood.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So you want to spend significant assets to acquire a defensemen to challenge McCabe so that he can put him out of a job (as Lindell would)? If you are spending assets, you are essentially saying Jake is gone. I am for acquiring two defensemen too, but one of them should be a UFA on a short contract, ala Franson, and the other should be a trade for a top pairing guy like Lindholm, Fowler, or Brodin, as has been discussed. Or, let McCabe battle with Gorges for that top 4 spot. Buoy don't even need to do the UFA addition. Just get the top pairing guy.

Why can't we trade for a top pairing guy AND signing a good UFA? And if, lo and behold, McCabe turns out to be a top 4 guy, then we have 3 good LHD on the left side. And since when is that ever a bad thing?

How is Lindholm/McCabe/Weber (or other 3rd pairing LHD of your choice) in anyway better than Lindholm/Goligoski/McCabe?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Why can't we trade for a top pairing guy AND signing a good UFA? And if, lo and behold, McCabe turns out to be a top 4 guy, then we have 3 good LHD on the left side. And since when is that ever a bad thing?

How is Lindholm/McCabe/Weber (or other 3rd pairing LHD of your choice) in anyway better than Lindholm/Goligoski/McCabe?

Because you are strapping yourself into contracts you are going to want to part with. It's just completely unnecessary.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So you want to spend significant assets to acquire a defensemen to challenge McCabe so that he can put him out of a job (as Lindell would)? I am for acquiring two defensemen too, but one of them should be a UFA on a short contract, ala Franson, and the other should be a trade for a top pairing guy like Lindholm, Fowler, or Brodin, as has been discussed

I'm for the one via UFA and one via trade route, but I don't think we get anyone on a short term contract.

More realistically I think we sign one of Yandle/Gologoski/Russell to a 4-5 year deal and then go out and get a D-man via trade with 2-3 years left on their deal.

Is anyone you will be able to sign on a 1-2 year deal an upgrade over Gorges? Probably not. Quincey maybe? Gunarsson?

The list of guys who will be willing to take a short term deal is pretty small.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I doubt Murray turns Gorges into a $3.9M 7th D.

I also doubt that they go to Gorges and ask him to waive his NTC after getting him to waive to come here.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Because you are strapping yourself into contracts you are going to want to part with. It's just completely unnecessary.

Why will I want to part with them? I can't have three good LHD? We have three good RHD if you didn't notice... Especially while McCabe is young and on RFA contracts? Yeah, I have no problem with it. Especially when you consider under my plan you're saving the value of George's contract.

Why are you so afraid of having talent on the back end?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What UFA LHD takes a short deal to come to Buffalo that is any good?

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Left&team=all&UFA=1

If you are good and willing to take a short deal, you are looking to sign with a contender, in all likelihood

I dont know if there is a good player fit.... but between Franson having to settle for a 2 year deal, and Coburn jumping the gun and taking a 3 year deal at 3.7... the UFA market could be very interesting for 2nd/3rd tier players. Coburn took a 20% paycut...

I think there will be some short term deal guys.... we all know who the preferred targets in dreamy trade scenarios are... but we may have to go shopping in the 2nd and 3rd tier....
Grossman, Quincey... OR

MIKE WEBER!!!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I doubt Murray turns Gorges into a $3.9M 7th D.

I also doubt that they go to Gorges and ask him to waive his NTC after getting him to waive to come here.

I don't think he'll have any qualms about it. If we bring in two LHD better than both he and McCabe, and McCabe outplays him for the 6th spot, yeah Georges can ride the pine, go to Rochester, or get traded. And given those options, I'm sure he'll be happy to get traded.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I always love the silver bullet theory. Its not one lhd, mccabe or lindell. You need 2 more on top of mccabe. Whether mccabe becomes a top 4 guy or not, you need much more top talent and depth.

Exactly. I'm all aboard trying to trade for, draft, and offer sheet LHD to get the position corrected this off-season. And I'm cool with all three happening.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, for everyone who wants to add 2 LHD, do you expect Franson to get dealt this summer?

Or, do you expect the Sabres to ask Gorges to waive and he gets dealt?

The Sabres have 4 RHD and 2 LHD already coming back.

Unless McCabe or Pysyk are traded...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Why will I want to part with them? I can't have three good LHD? We have three good RHD if you didn't notice... Especially while McCabe is young and on RFA contracts? Yeah, I have no problem with it. Especially when you consider under my plan you're saving the value of George's contract.

Why are you so afraid of having talent on the back end?

Is Alex Goligoski go into to be part of your core? Because if you go this route, he's going to have to be. Or you could just exercise a little patience and get it right.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I dont know if there is a good player fit.... but between Franson having to settle for a 2 year deal, and Coburn jumping the gun and taking a 3 year deal at 3.7... the UFA market could be very interesting for 2nd/3rd tier players. Coburn took a 20% paycut...

I think there will be some short term deal guys.... we all know who the preferred targets in dreamy trade scenarios are... but we may have to go shopping in the 2nd and 3rd tier....
Grossman, Quincey... OR

MIKE WEBER!!!

Sorry, but a LH version of Franson isn't getting me excited.

Might as well just land the top pairing LHD of our dreams and stop there and ride with TBD, McCabe, and Gorges on the left and Risto, Pysyk, Bogo, and Franson on the right.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In response to Chain on Murray's d acquisitions in the offseason:

It honestly makes me wonder if maybe Murray wasn't as keen on getting to the playoffs this year as he said. Do I think he wanted to tank and get DFL? No. But remember in the past he used to talk about the needs for several high picks. Maybe, in the grand scheme of things, he would've preferred picking somewhere in the top 10 as opposed to ~pick 20. And not pursuing a big name LHD like Sekera and instead signing turdburgers was a good way to ensure we didn't get too good too fast.

I'm sure this sounds stupidly conspiracy theorist, but it actually makes sense in my mind :laugh:

I think it was a combination of availability and the price he was willing to pay.

Murray knew this likely wasn't going to be a playoff team. He wasn't going to get a 1 year rental. There was a pretty small market for LHD via UFA (Sekera, Beauchemin, Martin and Oduya).

He was bidding on Oduya pretty aggressively but settled on Franson once the dust settled.

He wasn't going to go spend assets on a short term fix.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So, for everyone who wants to add 2 LHD, do you expect Franson to get dealt this summer?

Or, do you expect the Sabres to ask Gorges to waive and he gets dealt?

The Sabres have 4 RHD and 2 LHD already coming back.

Unless McCabe or Pysyk are traded...

I'm someone who wants more than 1 LHD added. I think you add then figure out what to do later. If that means that the Sabres carry 8 defensemen again until the trade deadline, cool. Then trade Franson at the trade deadline and roll with 7 into the playoffs.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
My dream scenario invokes a situation where gorges and McCabe are battling for the lh 3rd pair role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad