Roster Speculation 15-16, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Nobody is saying it's the end of the world. Why is it wrong to want a guy that deserves to stay up, to stay up?

Cal's career high point total at the nhl level is 12. Foligno has 7 this year already alone and provides a physical edge cal cant....he's. Home grown fan favorite that is one of about 2 guys willing to actively defend this young roster. I get we live in a what have you done for me lately society but this conversation is asinine. Foligno has already accomplished more in his short career than cal and frankly that's sad either way that we are debating which mediocre player belongs...

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Cal's career high point total at the nhl level is 12. Foligno has 7 this year already alone and provides a physical edge cal cant....he's. Home grown fan favorite that is one of about 2 guys willing to actively defend this young roster. I get we live in a what have you done for me lately society but this conversation is asinine. Foligno has already accomplished more in his short career than cal and frankly that's sad either way that we are debating which mediocre player belongs...

Cal impressed the one game he played. Foligno hasn't impressed all season. And even Bylsma pointed out that his scoring rate for his career is pretty impressive.

Again, why can't I want a player to stay on the roster that played well? It's weird why you act like its asinine for me to suggest it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Cal impressed the one game he played. Foligno hasn't impressed all season. And even Bylsma pointed out that his scoring rate for his career is pretty impressive.

Again, why can't I want a player to stay on the roster that played well? It's weird why you act like its asinine for me to suggest it.

He's not being sent down because of Foligno.... Marcus is hurt. He's being sent down because Ennis is back and the Amerks played tonight.. It's really pretty simple.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
He's not being sent down because of Foligno.... Marcus is hurt. He's being sent down because Ennis is back and the Amerks played tonight.. It's really pretty simple.

I was responding to a guy that compared him to Foligno...that's the only reason I brought up Foligno.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Slight change of gears here, but McKenzie had this article out a few days ago:

"Taking stock of the U.S. college free agent class"

With the holiday shopping season upon us, is there anyone currently who you'd like to see the Sabres bidding on out of the guys in the article?
Definitely Caggiula, maybe Poturalski; not interested in the other invite mentioned (J.Martin) and would stay away .. Vesey would be the biggest get mentioned in there obviously, but that seems like wishful thinking in that he'd have to spurn NSH first, then his hometown BOS and familial connections in TOR, with the rest of league fighting for his services; seems a bit much unless he's buddies with Eichel, Malone, etc.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Definitely Caggiula, maybe Poturalski; not interested in the other invite mentioned (J.Martin) and would stay away .. Vesey would be the biggest get mentioned in there obviously, but that seems like wishful thinking in that he'd have to spurn NSH first, then his hometown BOS and familial connections in TOR, with the rest of league fighting for his services; seems a bit much unless he's buddies with Eichel, Malone, etc.

I kind of wonder if the Eichel/Rodrigues tandem could lure Grzelcyk out into UFA. His skill-set is something I'd like to see in the pipeline.

Martin in a way reminds me of Dupuy, but perhaps a tick or two below in the skating department which puts me off him a bit. The game is about people who can skate now and what I recall of seeing Martin, I thought he had heavier feet. I could be wrong.

The other thought is what if Jankowski comes out and goes UFA? Yes, yes, Buffalo has a glut of centers right now, but I have never had issue with moving someone to the wing from the middle. I recall him being on the Sabres radar as a project in '12, I wonder if they would still be interested.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He's played two games btw.

While I know many are down on Foligno. I would still rather have him as an option. COR has played 6-7min per game and had zero expectations put on him. Not hard to please fans in that situation. Maybe experiment with Foligno as the 4th line center again. He seems to play well when given the chance there. Limited and focused minutes like that may be just what the doctor ordered.

Nothing weird btw about you wanting to keep him up. But I would say the Amerks probably need him more and he has zero future with this team. I keep hearing this is a development/experimental year. Playing a career AHLer over a young player like Foligno doesn't make much sense on that front. But with Dicso, who knows. He's made several head scratching decisions on that front.

Last edited:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
He's played two games btw.

While I know many are down on Foligno. I would still rather have him as an option. COR has played 6-7min per game and had zero expectations put on him. Not hard to please fans in that situation. Maybe experiment with Foligno as the 4th line center again. He seems to play well when given the chance there. Limited and focused minutes like that may be just what the doctor ordered.

Nothing weird btw about you wanting to keep him up. But I would say the Amerks probably need him more and he has zero future with this team. I keep hearing this is a development/experimental year. Playing a career AHLer over a young player like Foligno doesn't make much sense on that front. But with Dicso, who knows. He's made several head scratching decisions on that front.

That's a completely understandable stance. I was pretty high on Foligno all the way up until about now where I've started to lower expectations.

I wanted COR to stay not because he's an amazing hockey player, but because he's looked like a player I want on my 4th line. If nothing else, it'll push players like Marcus Legwand and Des to play at a higher level.

Although I really have no problem with COR going down when he plays badly. I just want that mentality on a 4th line that the best performing player is going to play.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That's a completely understandable stance. I was pretty high on Foligno all the way up until about now where I've started to lower expectations.

I wanted COR to stay not because he's an amazing hockey player, but because he's looked like a player I want on my 4th line. If nothing else, it'll push players like Marcus Legwand and Des to play at a higher level.

Although I really have no problem with COR going down when he plays badly. I just want that mentality on a 4th line that the best performing player is going to play.

Fair enough.

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
If Cal's last name wasn't O'Reilly we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Since when do people get upset when AHL guys get called back to the AHL. Was there this much uproar after Schaller got sent back after getting a point?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If Cal's last name wasn't O'Reilly we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Since when do people get upset when AHL guys get called back to the AHL. Was there this much uproar after Schaller got sent back after getting a point?

Yes. I think some cars were overturned and set on fire at the arena

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
The other thought is what if Jankowski comes out and goes UFA? Yes, yes, Buffalo has a glut of centers right now, but I have never had issue with moving someone to the wing from the middle. I recall him being on the Sabres radar as a project in '12, I wonder if they would still be interested.

Jankowski is about the only drafted collegian I think Buffalo would have a decent shot of signing if he goes UFA.
Never a bad thing to add some size to the prospect pool and he is kinda local.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I kind of wonder if the Eichel/Rodrigues tandem could lure Grzelcyk out into UFA. His skill-set is something I'd like to see in the pipeline.
I suppose it's plausible and definitely a needed offensive LHD, but still very doubtful in my mind. I don't see us luring the prime/potential UFA's just yet, especially one drafted by his home club. Vesey and Grzelcyk are the ones who are long-time buddies: http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/11/27/jimmy-vesey-matt-grzelcyk-harvard-boston-university-hockey

Martin in a way reminds me of Dupuy, but perhaps a tick or two below in the skating department which puts me off him a bit. The game is about people who can skate now and what I recall of seeing Martin, I thought he had heavier feet. I could be wrong.
Yeah, his heavy feet is off-putting to me.

Buffalo was his favorite team, no? :naughty: I still think none of those three potential UFA's go that route anyway.

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Eichel - O'Reilly - Reinhart <-- #1 all situations line.

Kane - Larsson - Girgensons <-- Heavy minutes defensive/possession line. Cycle for days.

Moulson - Foligno/Ennis - Ennis/Foligno <-- Leftover players who are all under-performing. Give them the easiest minutes remaining and hope one of Ennis or Foligno can play center...

Deslauriers - Legwand - McGinn <-- whoever is left.

Just embrace a Top 6 / Bottom 6 set-up. Play 5 of our 6 natural centers on the top 2 lines then just throw everyone else to the wolves.

Ennis and Moulson kind of have chemistry, and I can pretend for a few minutes that Ennis/Foligno have chemistry from their Ennis/Stafford/Folgino days way back when.

And yes I know that Gionta isn't actually ever getting benched. One can dream.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
Eichel - O'Reilly - Reinhart <-- #1 all situations line.

Kane - Larsson - Girgensons <-- Heavy minutes defensive/possession line. Cycle for days.

Moulson - Foligno/Ennis - Ennis/Foligno <-- Leftover players who are all under-performing. Give them the easiest minutes remaining and hope one of Ennis or Foligno can play center...

Deslauriers - Legwand - McGinn <-- whoever is left.

Just embrace a Top 6 / Bottom 6 set-up. Play 5 of our 6 natural centers on the top 2 lines then just throw everyone else to the wolves.

Ennis and Moulson kind of have chemistry, and I can pretend for a few minutes that Ennis/Foligno have chemistry from their Ennis/Stafford/Folgino days way back when.

And yes I know that Gionta isn't actually ever getting benched. One can dream.
Eichel-O'Reilly-Ennis

Kane-Reinhart-Girgensons

Moulson-Larsson-Foligno

Des-Larsson/Legwand-Gionta

Last edited:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Yes. I think some cars were overturned and set on fire at the arena

and police had to pepper spray a small but largely vocal group of Schaller supporters as well....

2 arrests were made but that is all that came of TS being sent down. :laugh:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Reinhart is progressing too much for me to want to try him at Center this season. Maybe towards the end of the season but not right now.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Reinhart is progressing too much for me to want to try him at Center this season. Maybe towards the end of the season but not right now.
Imagine O'Reilly and Reinhart as the 1/2 center combo for the future. Two complete shut down players. Exciting times to be a fan of the Sabres.

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Where is generational center talent Jack Eichel in this scenario?

On one of their wings? Dallas and Chicago and Washington are somehow making it work having elite players on the wings.

As long as that's not your only strength (superstar wingers) I think it works fine. And in this scenario we have all star 2-way centers as well as high end defensemen (ristolainen).

It seems extremely likely to me that one of ROR, Reinhart, or Eichel are on the wing in 2-3 years when we're contending. Having any one of the 3 on the wing just means that the other 2 became awesome or already were awesome (ROR) at center. It's win-win win.

So I'm not expecting eichel as wing, but if that's where he ends up playing over the years then a number of other things likely went well for us (Reinhart's development). If I had to put money on it though, I see this being our top 6 staples for our cup runs:

O'Reilly - Eichel - _______
Kane - Reinhart - _______

2 dynamic offensive lines with high end 2-way players as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad