Roster Speculation 15-16, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
On one of their wings? Dallas and Chicago and Washington are somehow making it work having elite players on the wings.

If Eichel is who he's supposed to be, he's going to be the top center here long term. Which elite players did Dallas, Chicago and Washington move to wing? Benn, Kane and Ovechkin were drafted as wingers.

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
On one of their wings? Dallas and Chicago and Washington are somehow making it work having elite players on the wings.

As long as that's not your only strength (superstar wingers) I think it works fine. And in this scenario we have all star 2-way centers as well as high end defensemen (ristolainen).

It seems extremely likely to me that one of ROR, Reinhart, or Eichel are on the wing in 2-3 years when we're contending. Having any one of the 3 on the wing just means that the other 2 became awesome or already were awesome (ROR) at center. It's win-win win.

So I'm not expecting eichel as wing, but if that's where he ends up playing over the years then a number of other things likely went well for us (Reinhart's development). If I had to put money on it though, I see this being our top 6 staples for our cup runs:

O'Reilly - Eichel - _______
Kane - Reinhart - _______

2 dynamic offensive lines with high end 2-way players as well.

I hate to double post but now I'm thinking of this potential lineup in 2 years, providing we can make the Cap work -

O'Reilly - Eichel - Girgensons
Kane - Reinhart - Backes (big money, shortish term. Pipe dream, I know)
Ennis - Larsson - Baptiste/Bailey/Fasching
Deslauriers - Whoever - Whoever

McCabe - Ristolainen
____ - Pysyk
____ - Bogosian

Whoever

With a couple of left handed defensemen draft picks turning out (come on Guhle!) I can't see this team NOT contending, assuming development continues as expected for the big 3 (Eichel, Ristolainen, Reinhart).

Sorry, I'm done now!

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If Eichel is who he's supposed to be, he's going to be the top center here long term. Which elite players did Dallas, Chicago and Washington move to wing? Benn, Kane and Ovechkin were drafted as wingers.

That's kind of my point though. No matter who pans out between the 3 high end centers, one of them will be on wing. If jack is scoring 80-90 points on the wing of an elite 2way center are we all going to be looking back saying he was drafted as a center? Maybe some would. I wouldn't.

Again, I'd like to point out that I assume he'll end up playing center for us. I just isn't think the opposite, the situation that was proposed that you quoted, is a bad thing in the least.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
That's kind of my point though. No matter who pans out between the 3 high end centers, one of them will be on wing. If jack is scoring 80-90 points on the wing of an elite 2way center are we all going to be looking back saying he was drafted as a center? Maybe some would. I wouldn't.

Again, I'd like to point out that I assume he'll end up playing center for us. I just isn't think the opposite, the situation that was proposed that you quoted, is a bad thing in the least.

If Eichel is a winger on a perennial contender, I'm not going to complain. I just don't see Sabres brass moving him off his natural position if his development goes as expected.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
If Eichel is a winger on a perennial contender, I'm not going to complain. I just don't see Sabres brass moving him off his natural position if his development goes as expected.

I really want Samson with Eichel. Reinhart is doing some great things lately and continues to progress very quickly. I like jack as the center and Reinhart on his wing. Jack would tally up some serious points with him. They seem to click when they play together. Keep Gio off his line and he will start to tear it up. Jack tried to do way to much because i think he felt he needed to due to Gios inability to do much of anything. Way to much pressure for anyone let alone a 19 year old.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Agree. Teams pray to get centers like Eichel has the potential to be, and few of them actually get one. Some time on the wing might be a useful developmental tool, but I don't think that's how anyone really hopes the roster shakes out down the road. The way ROR and Reinhart have clicked, I have no problem with Reinhart becoming a wing long term.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
As I've said before, I'm sure Eichel, ROR, and Reinhart will all see significant time at center and wing throughout the next 10 seasons, they'll even be interchanged throughout the same season depending on the lines.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Right now I think Samson is great with O'Reilly and I want to see them together for awhile. Getting a top LHD is a big priority for this team as is figuring out a top 6 W and the Bottom 6.

X/McGinn-ROR-Reinhart
Kane-Eichel-Ennis/X
Girgensons-Larsson-X
Deslauriers-X-Foligno

X-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Pysyk-Franson
Weber/Cola

Lehner
Ullmark

Probably letting Chad walk at the end of the year and going with the Swedish tandem

Moulson/Gionta/Legwand are likely not in the picture long term
Weber/Cola/Franson are ""

We have Baptiste/Fasching/Bailey maybe taking one or two of those RW spots
McGinn auditioning if he can play on a top line long term (Do we re-sign him?)
Is Ennis traded? Can Larsson solidify the third line with Girgensons?
Who do we sign in free agency next year and what do we do trade wise until then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad