Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So a name we haven't talked about in terms of UFAs:

Alex Goligoski

Plays 23-24 minutes a night.

Put up 42 and 36 points the last 2 years (and 20 points this year)

Might be a sneaky good signing while teams are fighting over Yandle.

I'd like it, but you have to be careful of term. He probably wants long term, but he's 30 and we have to be thinking about what that contract will look like in a few years. I'd love to do something like 2 years 10 million, but I doubt that gets it done.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Goligoski looks perfect. I'd throw a few years at that and work out the finances down the line. Today, you've got $12.25M tied up in Gionta, Legwand and Moulson, and $8.5M in space. You'll make some room.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Goligoski looks perfect. I'd throw a few years at that and work out the finances down the line. Today, you've got $12.25M tied up in Gionta, Legwand and Moulson, and $8.5M in space. You'll make some room.

And what if his play falls off a cliff at age 32 and suddenly we have huge money tied up in Moulson, Ennis, and Goligoski the year we have to re-sign Reinhart and Eichel.

Really, really want to keep it to 2 years.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Lines in practice today

Kane/ROR/McGinn
Mouslon/Eichel/Girgs
Gionta/Larsson/Foligno
Varone/legwand/Schaller/COR

I guess Girgs is heathy. He looked fine during practice.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
And what if his play falls off a cliff at age 32 and suddenly we have huge money tied up in Moulson, Ennis, and Goligoski the year we have to re-sign Reinhart and Eichel.

Then jettison Moulson. LHD isn't going to fix itself. I'll take the risk.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Lines in practice today

Kane/ROR/McGinn
Mouslon/Eichel/Girgs
Gionta/Larsson/Foligno
Varone/legwand/Schaller/COR

I guess Girgs is heathy. He looked fine during practice.

I can get behind that. Seeing Moulson in the top 6 doesn't exactly fill me with optimism, but it's not like we've got better options, especially since that 3rd line has been playing well and deserves to be kept together for now. Glad Girgs is back.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Holy ----! It's going on game #49 and this is, with 3 regulars out, the closest to what I think the lines should be.

Of course they're just practice lines and odds are high of them getting scuttled for the next game. And also of course, if those 3 regulars get back without additional injuries, the lines would only get further away from what I'd like to see.

Re : Goligoski...I don't think we should be acquiring a LHD at age 30, not for what TM can afford in trade. A UFA (that actually makes it to FA) won't be worth the term/cap for an older guy. I'd much rather TM stick to the young and/or NHL ready plan.

I think the best trading partners out there are Anaheim (Lindholm, Fowler...doubt they trade Theodore) and Columbus (Ryan Murray). If nothing can be worked out with those teams, only the draft will provide a long term solution at LHD (Chychrun, Juolevi).

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I have a question, when can you renew a contract? If you sign Stamkos for 2 years at league maximum when could you extend him? Is it possible to make a 2+8 kind of deal? Considering we should have some space the coming two years and not so much space after that.

Is it just me or is Gionta, Moulson, Ennis och Franson a terrible waste of cap space? They basically block us from building a contending team. When I look at our cap situation short term I hate it, so much dead weight. We've wasted a lot of ammo, prospect and cap-wise in the latest stage of the rebuild. Would have rather overpaid short term for potentially useful players later on.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I have a question, when can you renew a contract? If you sign Stamkos for 2 years at league maximum when could you extend him? Is it possible to make a 2+8 kind of deal? Considering we should have some space the coming two years and not so much space after that.

Is it just me or is Gionta, Moulson, Ennis och Franson a terrible waste of cap space? They basically block us from building a contending team. When I look at our cap situation short term I hate it, so much dead weight. We've wasted a lot of ammo, prospect and cap-wise in the latest stage of the rebuild. Would have rather overpaid short term for potentially useful players later on.

You can't extend until the minute the player is on the final year of his contract, which is when the new league year begins, shortly after the Cup Finals.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

Thankfully Gionta will be gone when Eichel and Reinhart will be on their 2nd contracts - and Moulson will be gone the year after. It's not as bad as it seems.

I think we all expected a lot more out of Ennis this year, so hopefully he can get on track. Because if he puts up numbers similar to his career trajectory he is easily worth $4.6M IMO.

Franson is only only here for two years - so I'm not sure what you mean in regards to him? His contract is perfect in terms of length.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Well, we have probable long term players in place and mostly those contracts will be gone when we need that space. Moulson is the longest term and seemingly biggest long term problem. I'd urge you to read a back a few pages. Lots of long term cap talk. For the most part, Murray has used foresight in his vision for prolonged future success.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
His splits away from Klingberg are better than I remember them. He appears to mesh well with all our top 4 RHDs from a skillset perspective.

If you're right, he's Brian Rafalski, if you're wrong, he's Jordan Leopold.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Drouin?

Is he a fit as a winger in Buffalo?
Youthful, skilled, aside from the mess in TB right now any one think he's worth the price, and what would that price be?

Drouin could get a top line LW so Murray could take a chance snd get him cheaply.

It's a rebuilding-mode Tim Murray move through and through. Disgruntled talent not typically available on the market? Come on down.

In reality, don't know that we have the cupboards for it anymore. I'm also not convinced that Yzerman will end up trading him.

We have a lot in the cupboards.

Hey guys, im in a keeper league and had a question about Reinhart. Does he still project as a centre for the future and who will his line mates likely be?

Check back in 2 yrs...likely Eichel is top center, Reinhart us 2nd center snd RZoR plays on the wing.

So a name we haven't talked about in terms of UFAs:

Alex Goligoski

Plays 23-24 minutes a night.

Put up 42 and 36 points the last 2 years (and 20 points this year)

Might be a sneaky good signing while teams are fighting over Yandle.

He can be a good signing if it's a short term. He is 31 at the start of next year.

I support these lines. A rare event.

Especially playing 4 forwRds on line 4 :sarcasm:

When the last year of the contract starts on 1 July. If you sign him to a 1 yr deal you can't till January 1st IIRC.

Not worried too much......

Coming off are Legwand, weber, Johmson, MCGinn for about $10M+ in space

RFAs....Ristolsinen, Girgensons, Larsson absorb that $20M

Next year McCormick, Gionta, Franson ( about $10M ) are UFA and a Foligno snd DeslAuriers are RFAd.

After that it Moulson snd Ennis with 2 more years. Ennis has been injured so he isn't a cap waste.

The isdue will be in 2018 with Eichel snd a Reinhart off their bridges, Jane due yo be a UFA.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Get him cheaply? Have you read anything about the offers they are getting for him? It isn't going to happen cheaply.

Not really.

I've read teams aren't willing to part with Cody Ceci and Bo Horvat.

We aren't talking about Reinhart level returns here

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'd like it, but you have to be careful of term. He probably wants long term, but he's 30 and we have to be thinking about what that contract will look like in a few years. I'd love to do something like 2 years 10 million, but I doubt that gets it done.

2 years isn't going to be a competitive bid IMHO. 4-5 years at 5-6 Per. Maybe it goes a little lower

His splits away from Klingberg are better than I remember them. He appears to mesh well with all our top 4 RHDs from a skillset perspective.

If you're right, he's Brian Rafalski, if you're wrong, he's Jordan Leopold.

Puck moving d-men don't tend to fall of a cliff like stay at home d-men. My thought is that you keep your assets, plug in Goligoski next to Risto to start. Push Gorges down the depth chart. Then if a true top pairing guy comes available...

#1 LHD - Risto
Goligoski-Bogo/Pysyk
Gorges-Bogo/Pysyk

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
What about JT Brown from Tampa? Could be a cap casualty for the lightning if Stamkos signs there. I have watched a lot of him this season and he has impressed!

kp2575

Ray's Pocket Square
Feb 11, 2015
PDX
I've read teams aren't willing to part with Cody Ceci and Bo Horvat.

We aren't talking about Reinhart level returns here

Bob McKenzie said there has been "significant" offers. "Cheaply" is not going to land him.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
I just dont see the appeal to Gologoski - Hes a top 4 defender, he allready 30 - in the 3 years time it'll take to contend again we would have used the best years of his contract allready and would be left with, what a 34 / 35 year old.

My 2nd issue, is he's a top 4 - And honestly where do we fit him in - Already have Bogo / RR / Pysyk / Gorges / Franson - The first 3 are allready top 4 D and Gorges is pretty much a bottom 4 pairing anyway. I just dont think he'll bring anything we dont allready have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad