Roster Speculation 15-16, Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
I posted this on the main board and it has been well received so far. Thoughts?

To BUF:
Jack Johnson LD (4.357m)
Cam Atkinson RW (3.5m)
Rene Bourque (one year cap dump for 2.5m if he will waive for Buffalo)

To CBJ:
Zach Bogosian RD (5.143m)
Marcus Foligno LW (1.875m)

Why CBJ does it: they're overloaded on the left side of D and need reinforcement on the right. Also freeing up their top pair spot on the left side allows them to feed Murray minutes and speed up his development. Foligno is a downgrade on Atkinson but there's a ton of unmet potential in Foligno. He's just not generating any consistency here. Maybe playing with his brother and in Torts' system would be the key. He's a real Torts kind of guy when he's on his game.

Why Buffalo does it: This next sentence is probably going to be very unpopular with my fellow Sabres fans. Mark Pysyk will be a better second pairing defenseman on the right side than Bogo. Bogo obviously has a much higher ceiling but I think Pysyk's floor is higher. He'll also be more cost effective and cap is quickly going to become an issue for us. Jack Johnson fills our gaping need on the left side, provides solid play in his own end, some physicality you lose with Bogo, and lots of veteran leadership. He's older than Bogo but he should still have 5 very productive years left in him. I think Atkinson would be perfect for Kane and RoR. I haven't seen him much but he plays a very fast, hard, north-south game that would fit those two like a glove. That allows Reinhart to slide down and play with Eichel.

MOD EDIT: Continued from here http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=111088549#post111088549

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

To BUF:
Jack Johnson LD (4.357m)
Cam Atkinson RW (3.5m)

To CBJ:

Why CBJ does it: they're overloaded on the left side of D and need reinforcement on the right. Also freeing up their top pair spot on the left side allows them to feed Murray minutes and speed up his development. Foligno is a downgrade on Atkinson but there's a ton of unmet potential in Foligno. He's just not generating any consistency here. Maybe playing with his brother and in Torts' system would be the key. He's a real Torts kind of guy when he's on his game.

Why Buffalo does it: This next sentence is probably going to be very unpopular with my fellow Sabres fans. Mark Pysyk will be a better second pairing defenseman on the right side than Bogo. Bogo obviously has a much higher ceiling but I think Pysyk's floor is higher. He'll also be more cost effective and cap is quickly going to become an issue for us. Jack Johnson fills our gaping need on the left side, provides solid play in his own end, some physicality you lose with Bogo, and lots of veteran leadership. He's older than Bogo but he should still have 5 very productive years left in him. I think Atkinson would be perfect for Kane and RoR. I haven't seen him much but he plays a very fast, hard, north-south game that would fit those two like a glove. That allows Reinhart to slide down and play with Eichel.

Interesting idea. I am a bit leary of Atkinson's size and Johnson's relative lack of hockey sense (and financial sense), but the idea of the principles involved I have no issue with.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

To BUF:
Jack Johnson LD (4.357m)
Cam Atkinson RW (3.5m)

To CBJ:

I like the idea. Not a fan of JJ so much though, especially given that we'd be giving up Bogo to get him (adding another puck moving type, trading away a tougher D)

Find an available LHD version of Bogo though, and it works.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Moved the player grades/assessment stuff into its own thread. Figured it was a big enough topic to warrant a separate space for discussion.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
Whether you like that trade or not the premise is this: trade Bogo or Pysyk for a LHD. Either of them is wasted on the third pair and Franson is serviceable in that role anyway. Playing defensemen on their off hand doesn't work like it does for wingers.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Interesting idea. I am a bit leary of Atkinson's size and Johnson's relative lack of hockey sense (and financial sense), but the idea of the principles involved I have no issue with.
No need to worry; hes far from Jeff Skinner.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
Whether you like that trade or not the premise is this: trade Bogo or Pysyk for a LHD. Either of them is wasted on the third pair and Franson is serviceable in that role anyway. Playing defensemen on their off hand doesn't work like it does for wingers.

I'm surprised no one wants to jump on this...

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I get the premise of wanting to trade for a LD, but Johnson isn't the guy. He's not very good and is 29 in a couple weeks.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How do we get Fowler to pair with Risto for the next decade?

I think he might actually be attainable

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How do we get Fowler to pair with Risto for the next decade?

I think he might actually be attainable
well considering Murray has driven that org into the ground with his missteps, sure he might make the wrong move again and flip Fowler...but with Spurgeons signing to go with Suter and Scandella, Dumbas post ELC coming up and Reilly and Olofsson on their way...surely the Wild are looking to flip a D contract.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I have no interest in trading Bogo, and I definitely wouldn't consider it for Atkinson and JJ. I'd rather have him over both those players.
The only way I'd do it is if a good, young top 4 LHD was coming back.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Pray really hard that Minny folds or Fletcher has a massive brain cramp and makes a dea with TM while he's drunk?
Well if there's one GM that may happen for it would be Murray who is great friends with Fletcher. I doubt Brodin goes anywhere though. Nothing gets done in the NHL anymore. GMs would rather sink with cost controlled assets than to trade them even when at abundance and attempt to swim.

If not for Tim Murray and the Chicago Blackhawks' Cap Space there would have been about zero exciting Hockey trades in the last two years or so. The on ice NHL product sucks, the off ice excitement is non existent... nothing gets done in this league except the approval of rules that hurt the game.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Well if there's one GM that may happen for it would be Murray who is great friends with Fletcher. I doubt Brodin goes anywhere though. Nothing gets done in the NHL anymore. GMs would rather sink with cost controlled assets than to trade them even when at abundance and attempt to swim.

If not for Tim Murray and the Chicago Blackhawks' Cap Space there would have been about zero exciting Hockey trades in the last two years or so. The on ice NHL product sucks, the off ice excitement is non existent... nothing gets done in this league except the approval of rules that hurt the game.

Bah Humbug

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Main board trade proposal that some Devils fans liked:

Ennis to NJ for Merrill, Matteau, 2017 4th

I make that trade.

Pass. Merrill has been truly terrible this year. (Seriously, a -6.92/60 Corsi with over 65% O-zone starts and terrible competition? How does that even happen?) The Devils ruined Matteau's development, and he's a fungible commodity in today's NHL. Finally, a 4th round pick doesn't have much value.

Ennis is an imperfect player, but I don't think we yet have the offense where we can just start casting aside 40-45 pt forwards for a third-pairing, stay-at-home defenseman who's getting absolutely destroyed this year, and some NHL filler.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Pass. Merrill has been truly terrible this year. (Seriously, a -6.92/60 Corsi with over 65% O-zone starts and terrible competition? How does that even happen?) The Devils ruined Matteau's development, and he's a fungible commodity in today's NHL. Finally, a 4th round pick doesn't have much value.

Ennis is an imperfect player, but I don't think we yet have the offense where we can just start casting aside 40-45 pt forwards for a third-pairing, stay-at-home defenseman who's getting absolutely destroyed this year, and some NHL filler.
Agreed. I don't see the point in Merrill and Matteau is a dime a dozen prospect. We don't need band aid fixes on defense and at the moment Merrill hasn't shown he has any long term staying power. I don't like Ennis' game either and something has to happen with him before he has negative value like Sam Gagner did but trading him now for that type of return doesn't make us a better team now or in the future.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Is Merril that bad this year? I haven't been paying attention this year. He was impressive at times last year.

Does that horrific number correlate with what you've seen?

(That ozone start number is stunning...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad