Charlotte

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
So this honestly makes me think of another thing

Wahlstrom's time here is most likely done. He didn't look great outside of that PP in the 2nd period, and he's painfully slow. It probably means he goes to the AHL, or just gets demoted in general to another team. I think we sign a winger this offseason anyways, and we try to get Ishakov a roster spot if possible. If not? Then we are definitely in need of a solution for Ollie

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
So this honestly makes me think of another thing

Wahlstrom's time here is most likely done. He didn't look great outside of that PP in the 2nd period, and he's painfully slow. It probably means he goes to the AHL, or just gets demoted in general to another team. I think we sign a winger this offseason anyways, and we try to get Ishakov a roster spot if possible. If not? Then we are definitely in need of a solution for Ollie

Wahlstrom is a month younger than Iskhakov. I don’t see how Wahlstrom has run out of time yet.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Wahlstrom is a month younger than Iskhakov. I don’t see how Wahlstrom has run out of time yet.
Agreed. Even Holmstrom, our best prospect right now is getting the baby gloves, so I would not worry about Wahlstrom. Worry is wasted energy anyway. I still think he is being affected by the concussion he suffered. Brain injuries are nothing to scoff at. Anyway, the organization is keeping him around, so there must be some sort of belief in him.
So were they!

Actually, I missed a game. for some reason thought that we only play conference opponents 3 times.

They split the season series, 2-2, but the Canes got an OT point.

The beat us 5 points to 4.

We are doomed! Doomed I tell ya!!! :sarcasm:

Reactions: leeroggy

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Actually, I missed a game. for some reason thought that we only play conference opponents 3 times.

Both teams won once in regulation and once in OT. So technically, both teams were 2-1-1.

Reactions: Potvottier

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Wahlstrom needs to reinvent himself, he isn’t a scorer but he is big and seems to not mind the physical part of game. He needs to work on D, maybe even learn to kill penalties and with his size and shot he could be a 3rd-4th line forward who scores 15 a year. The fact he never got in rotation up front down stretch doesn’t seem to bode well for him here IMO but we will see this summer.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Wahlstrom needs to reinvent himself, he isn’t a scorer but he is big and seems to not mind the physical part of game. He needs to work on D, maybe even learn to kill penalties and with his size and shot he could be a 3rd-4th line forward who scores 15 a year. The fact he never got in rotation up front down stretch doesn’t seem to bode well for him here IMO but we will see this summer.
I think Wahlstrom's problem is that he thinks he's a skill guy. I've seen him make such a big impact as a guy who gets under the skin of his opponents. He'll get more opportunities if he continues to forecheck and throw the body around.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I think Wahlstrom's problem is that he thinks he's a skill guy. I've seen him make such a big impact as a guy who gets under the skin of his opponents. He'll get more opportunities if he continues to forecheck and throw the body around.
On Jack Huges recommendation the Devils sign Wahlstom to a one year prove yourselve contract.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Wahlstrom may be like a Tippett...or Verheage where it takes the guy ages to develop

Well, Tippett was drafted the year before Wahlstrom, but he's played 4 straight seasons of NHL hockey and statistically, each one has been better than the season before, with him becoming an impact player the last two seasons.

Verhaeghe never had that 1st rounder pedigree and his amazingly wonderful story is one that happens like once every 10 years.

The probability is very high that Wahlstrom will go the way of Dal Colle sooner than either of these two.

From an asset standpoint, I think he has to be re-upped as an RFA this summer, but I'm hoping our GM will be seeing if there aren't players out there in a situation similar to Wally's who our GM believes the Isles could make better use of.

RHD Victor Soderstrom of the Ari... Utah organization and Jakob Pelletier in Calgary are guys I can imagine as possibilities.

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Well, Tippett was drafted the year before Wahlstrom, but he's played 4 straight seasons of NHL hockey and statistically, each one has been better than the season before, with him becoming an impact player the last two seasons.

Verhaeghe never had that 1st rounder pedigree and his amazingly wonderful story is one that happens like once every 10 years.

The probability is very high that Wahlstrom will go the way of Dal Colle sooner than either of these two.

From an asset standpoint, I think he has to be re-upped as an RFA this summer, but I'm hoping our GM will be seeing if there aren't players out there in a situation similar to Wally's who our GM believes the Isles could make better use of.

RHD Victor Soderstrom of the Ari... Utah organization and Jakob Pelletier in Calgary are guys I can imagine as possibilities.
I like those two in a change of scenery type move.

Very surprised all 3 have struggled to find an NHL role, especially Soderstrom, who I thought was a top 4 for sure.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Wahlstrom has rocks for brains on the ice. That will never change. He will never be an NHL top 6 winger. Best case for him he becomes a bottom 6 winger.
at this point fine. cheap cost controlled bottom 6 winger. no reason to give up on him yet. we are old and boring with very little skill. wahlstrom at least has an elite shot and is big. hes going to be 24...we arent just going to drop him when we have next to nothing to look forward to in the system. yeah hes slow af and dumb on the ice. needs a full offseason and camp with roy. no reason why we cant develop him into another anders lee type winger in the bottom 6. lee didnt work out until he was 24. reinvent his game.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Agreed. Even Holmstrom, our best prospect right now is getting the baby gloves, so I would not worry about Wahlstrom. Worry is wasted energy anyway. I still think he is being affected by the concussion he suffered. Brain injuries are nothing to scoff at. Anyway, the organization is keeping him around, so there must be some sort of belief in him.

He needs to watch the Netflix series Physical 100 season 2 and see how a reputable Cross-Fit training program can do wonders for dedicated athletes improving their strength and endurance. In addition, he needs to spend more effort on finetuning his skating and passing skills. He may also improve his hockey IQ by studying the game with an experienced mentor. All this takes time and effort. It is up to him to use his time wisely this summer.

Reactions: Lek and Potvottier

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
He needs to watch the Netflix series Physical 100 season 2 and see how a reputable Cross-Fit training program can do wonders for dedicated athletes improving their strength and endurance. In addition, he needs to spend more effort on finetuning his skating and passing skills. He may also improve his hockey IQ by studying the game with an experienced mentor. All this takes time and effort. It is up to him to use his time wisely this summer.
I would love to see how he is at practice. Some players are monsters when scrimmaging, but can't do the same in league games. The brain is a crazy thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad