Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
or not. but the point stands: we need to do something to improve our team

No shit. Thanks for the update.

How are we doing it without shedding salary? How were we clearing $56M for Fiala.

Don’t get your hopes up for Gaudreau or Forsberg.

Lou’s hockey trade will leave you guys underwhelmed while it clears off cap space.

Reactions: 12Dog

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yes, that is what I’m asking
No I wouldn’t move Lee because a 31 year old one year removed from a knee surgery (who wasn’t fleet of foot to begin with) and has a 7M cap hit for 4 more years and NTC would command very little on the trade market.

It’s poor asset manangement regardless of the club’s cap space.

You move Bailey or Varlamov (or even Beauvillier, Pageau or Palmieri) for cap relief before Lee.

Reactions: MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Good luck to the fans here expecting Gaudreau or Forsberg.
Yes that was essentially the implication of my post. Along with if your tepid about giving Fiala just under 8M… then your definitely going to be disappointed with whatever actions are taken this offseason.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and MJF

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I dunno. Devils have a few interesting pieces up front, including the #2 pick if they move forward. Maybe they don’t go big on Gaudreau and focus on improving the defense and possibly goaltending?

Who else is in the market for wingers? Seattle is one, but they’re terrible. There’s chatter about Philly but they’re in cap hell, obviously they can fish themselves out of it but it seems like they’re in a worse spot than we are. There’s Calgary and Nashville, both trying to manage their UFA situations. Anyone else?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I dunno. Devils have a few interesting pieces up front, including the #2 pick if they move forward. Maybe they don’t go big on Gaudreau and focus on improving the defense and possibly goaltending?

Who else is in the market for wingers? Seattle is one, but they’re terrible. There’s chatter about Philly but they’re in cap hell, obviously they can fish themselves out of it but it seems like they’re in a worse spot than we are. There’s Calgary and Nashville, both trying to manage their UFA situations. Anyone else?
Dobson for Slafkovsky, NYI signs Klingberg! :sarcasm:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Gotta find a way to trade Bailey.
I still see a reasonable (but kinda disappointing trade in my opinion) as follows…

Bailey and futures to Arizona for Schmaltz.

Schmaltz is younger (same draft as Fiala) and is hitting his prime. He can be a 50-60 point player.

Futures likely don’t have to be substantial because Schmaltz is owed a serious higher salary to cap hit over the next four years. Bailey as already stated is the opposite over the next two years.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
I still see a reasonable (but kinda disappointing trade in my opinion) as follows…

Bailey and futures to Arizona for Schmaltz.

Schmaltz is younger (same draft as Fiala) and is hitting his prime. He can be a 50-60 point player.

Futures likely don’t have to be substantial because Schmaltz is owed a serious higher salary to cap hit over the next four years. Bailey as already stated is the opposite over the next two years.
no way arizona gives up Schmaltz, but I would love it. Schmaltz is a very good player and could be a dude that helps our scoring issues as well, even if he is a streaky player.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
no way arizona gives up Schmaltz, but I would love it. Schmaltz is a very good player and could be a dude that helps our scoring issues as well, even if he is a streaky player.
I actually think they would love to drop him. Playing in a college arena for the foreseeable future and having to pay him around $29m over the next four years.

EDIT: Also maybe it’s me, but I’m not high on Schmaltz at all. Seems like a slightly better Eberle.

Reactions: 12Dog

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Lou needs to move pcs before July 7 NHL draft . He needs to show he has cap space to do a lot of things
and not get cornered where he has no options but to over pay which seems to be his MO of late.
Agree, but I think he will be very active at the draft. He needs to be active before free agency starts. By then he needs the cap space to go out and sign a few players without having to trade away assets later to get cap compliant.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I posted something previously about salary structure implications of signing or trading for players. The example was Patrick Kane vs. Fiala. Either one would become the highest paid player on the team. If Lou traded for Fiala and made him the highest paid player, how would that sit with a guy like Pelech (for example) who signed a very reasonable deal and has been a playoff stalwart for us (whereas Fiala hasn't exactly lit the playoff world on fire). Ditto negotiating with Mayfield, Dobson, etc. on new deals.

Kane on the other hand is a veteran superstar and Cup winner. No one could complain about his salary.

Or, if we traded for Chychrun we'd have a legit top 4 LHD who makes less than Pelech and Pulock.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I posted something previously about salary structure implications of signing or trading for players. The example was Patrick Kane vs. Fiala. Either one would become the highest paid player on the team. If Lou traded for Fiala and made him the highest paid player, how would that sit with a guy like Pelech (for example) who signed a very reasonable deal and has been a playoff stalwart for us (whereas Fiala hasn't exactly lit the playoff world on fire). Ditto negotiating with Mayfield, Dobson, etc. on new deals.

Kane on the other hand is a veteran superstar and Cup winner. No one could complain about his salary.

Or, if we traded for Chychrun we'd have a legit top 4 LHD who makes less than Pelech and Pulock.
So basically the… anti-Dubas?

Reactions: doublechili

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
No I wouldn’t move Lee because a 31 year old one year removed from a knee surgery (who wasn’t fleet of foot to begin with) and has a 7M cap hit for 4 more years and NTC would command very little on the trade market.

It’s poor asset manangement regardless of the club’s cap space.

You move Bailey or Varlamov (or even Beauvillier, Pageau or Palmieri) for cap relief before Lee.
Thanks, forgetting the NTC I still think he has little trade value. I realize this is theoretical since he can’t be traded. But there seems to be a a few posters on here who think Lee is worth his salary but Barzal is not. That boggles my mind.

Reactions: 19 in a row

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Thanks, forgetting the NTC I still think he has little trade value. I realize this is theoretical since he can’t be traded. But there seems to be a a few posters on here who think Lee is worth his salary but Barzal is not. That boggles my mind.
I think both are overpaid for how they performed last season but both have elite qualities and unfortunately that’s the price you have to pay to retain them.

Hoepfully management brings in the pieces to elevate them so that they perform in line with their salaries going forward.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Not even involved in Bidding huh? I guess We Plan to do something Different? Frustrating.....

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Not even involved in Bidding huh? I guess We Plan to do something Different? Frustrating.....
Never made an offer doesn’t mean we weren’t involved

I’ve mentioned this too, almost wish we could extend Barzal, Mayfield now to get ahead of it

Reactions: doublechili

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
In the prior thread , Throttle said this
"Dissenting opinion is not hate. I'd be more than happy that Barzal learned to play a north/south game, use his wingers, shoot the puck, produce on the PP, OT, and in the SHO and be a #1 C, but he's not. Maybe he gets there, but it's going to be on HIM to do so. What makes him 'unique' also makes him very hard to play with. While the game appears to be changing to a faster pace, one still has to play in that dynamic. Certainly, in situations when there are LESS players on the ice, this would be more favorable to him (PP, OT, SHO), but so far, it has not."

Barzal had an off year in OT in 21-22, but prior to that, he was one of the best in the NHL at 3 on 3 OT. See the following from an article in The Athletic in 2021:

One of the fundamental differences between overtimes now and that first game between Tampa Bay and Philadelphia is that players aren’t shy about holding on to the puck. Rather than dart up and down the ice, players are weaving through with patience, looking for breakdowns while attempting to wear down the opposition.

One of the best at doing that is Mathew Barzal, who you’ll often see dominating shifts in 3-on-3. His 67.7 percent expected goals rate leads the league among players who’ve played over 50 minutes of 3-on-3 since its inception.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad