Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Spot on.

I think there's a visual that bringing one or both of 15 and 17 back keeps the locker room stale and clique-ish. This might be one of the things that can be a turnoff for free agents.

The Yankees had this issue at one time, particularly with their players in their minor league system. Young players would sign elsewhere knowing how difficult it would be to break through and supplant a veteran. I can see the same thing being an issue here by running back the same core over and over again.

I don't think they should, mainly because their play tells me that they are past their expiration date but with Martin I can see them wanting to hit that milestone in an Islanders jersey. Unfortunately for us, in order for Martin to hit that milestone he'll have to play and that's just not a good thing.

Reactions: MJF and Top Corner

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Martin was an ill advised signing 4 years ago and the same goes for Clutter 2 years ago. Since then, and particularly this year, they have both regressed.

How could resigning either of them at any price be a good idea?

Their two roster spots are better filled by younger players on near league minimum contracts. Take a flier on a couple of guys. They might not even be players currently in the organization. No offense to our two warriors but projecting their play into next season tells me that moving on couldn’t be much worse and the ceiling for moves like those I suggested is undoubtedly higher.

I think Clutterbuck has had himself a really nice year. I would bring him back in for another year but no more than that. Martin needs to go. I like the idea of taking more chances on guys in free agency, however, if you take a chance on an underperforming player they will not be in the Clutterbuck role anyway.

TXNYI

Dec 30, 2005
I think Clutterbuck has had himself a really nice year. I would bring him back in for another year but no more than that. Martin needs to go. I like the idea of taking more chances on guys in free agency, however, if you take a chance on an underperforming player they will not be in the Clutterbuck role anyway.
If Clutterbuck wants to comes back for 1 yr only, have him rotate in with 13th F to keep him fresh, getting him 40 games max.

Martin should be offered a community-facing Isles front-office job.....an offer he can't refuse.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
So…if Lou remains the GM and Roy wants to keep Martin and Clutter, how does that make everyone feel?

Not happy. Martin is just flat-out done and while I think it's time to move on from Clutter too, he can still be somewhat effective in a limited role. If they make other moves to change up the roster, but re-sign Cal to a one year deal as a 12th/13th forward, I could probably live with that. He'll likely come pretty cheaply at least.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I like MM and Clutterbuck and appreciate all they've done for the team, but at the same time it's not like this is the dynasty team where guys were kept around maybe a bit too long because of what they had done. Ultimately the current roster hasn't won anything, so loyalty should only go so far. And upsetting the locker room might be a good thing if everyone has gotten a bit too comfortable. Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked to see Clutterbuck brought back on a 1 year deal. But that should mean that some other guys are moved out. You don't need Clutterbuck and Fasching on the same roster, for example.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think most of us are in agreement - a rarity on this board.
New blood, even signing these two to be part-time role players is not going to happen - they will get longer leashes and there is always going to be energetics that Roy will have to jump every time one has to sit because what they have meant to this organization.

I like what Maclean has brought and that he can play C - he needs to improve at the dot, but that can be developed. Bringing in a RW who can bring an edge is probably a target for LL this summer. Olivier would be great.

I brought up Trenin because he plays with an edge, and is mean and fast. He will cost more than the 1.5 and most likely Trotz resigns him this summer.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Clutterbuck was very good this year but I’d move on still when you have Fasching for $750k to play on that fourth line next year.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I think most of us are in agreement - a rarity on this board.
New blood, even signing these two to be part-time role players is not going to happen - they will get longer leashes and there is always going to be energetics that Roy will have to jump every time one has to sit because what they have meant to this organization.

I like what Maclean has brought and that he can play C - he needs to improve at the dot, but that can be developed. Bringing in a RW who can bring an edge is probably a target for LL this summer. Olivier would be great.

I brought up Trenin because he plays with an edge, and is mean and fast. He will cost more than the 1.5 and most likely Trotz resigns him this summer.
Martin and Clutter need to go sorry. I love these guys and what they gave us...But it's time. I really like the idea of getting Olivier from Columbus as our new Martin replacement.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I’d look at Carrier fron Vegas to replace Martin.

Martin can't catch anyone so he never lays those types of hits anymore, it's almost always way after the puck has been moved. I'd love a player who can actually do that, even if it isn't Carrier.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd move on from Fasching too
Fasching is already under contract through next season. He can be buried without any cap repercussions on the big club, but would have to go through waivers.

Playing Fasching because he makes the league minimum is a low bar. Fasching is not an NHL player.
He’d be a nice “C” or “A” for Bridgeport who can fill in on the fourth line in a pinch.

Actual AAAA player who can provide a spark for 5-10 games.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Fasching is already under contract through next season. He can be buried without any cap repercussions on the big club, but would have to go through waivers.
I doubt he'd get claimed. If he did, no loss, and we'd have a vacant roster spot and his miniscule cap hit back.

He’d be a nice “C” or “A” for Bridgeport who can fill in on the fourth line in a pinch.

Actual AAAA player who can provide a spark for 5-10 games.
Yup. Another Austin Czarnik. A one week flash.

Reactions: The Real JT

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'd take Carrier too. If we could unload Pageau somewhere, let Whally, Martin and Clutter go and replace with Carrier, Lomberg and Duhaime/Carrier we'd have a very effective bottom six filled with speedy crashers that could help rechange the makeup of this team.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
By all means, let’s run back a couple of players, mascots actually, who have been here for 15 years and haven’t won squat.
To clarify, I wasn’t advocating bringing Clutterbuck back…

I was simply saying I can see the case for bringing him back (whereas with Martin I cannot), and if they were to bring him back, I’d prefer it be in a similar situation to how Parise handled it (post ASG addition so you are getting a fresh body).

But he’s is not by any means plan A.) or B.)

Reactions: MJF

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This team has bigger fish to fry than the 4th line.
It's still something that needs to be done. And the most obvious as Martin and Clutter's contracts are up so while we can talk about signing Montour or Hanifan or creative ways to create space, one thing for certain is that there will be new guys on the fourth line so we can definitely talk about it.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
We'd all love to have this guy or that guy, but reality is we can't due to hurdles or shortages in our organization. Our leader has taken an average group and kept it average but with many more restrictions than the previous group of average. Its going to take a major trade to reshape this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad