Roster moves prior to season opener (Emmerton clears waivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The 06 'Canes didn't have any superstars. Staal, Ward, and Brind'amour were the leaders, but at the time I wouldn't consider any of them a superstar. That team was practically the definition of depth winning a cup.

Remember how the 2011 Bruins didn't have a guy with over 62 points? Look at the 2006 Hurricanes.

Staal - 100 points
Williams - 76
Stillman - 76 (in 72 games)
Brind'amour - 70
Cole - 59 (in 60 games)
Whitney - 55 (in 63 games)

Staal and Stillman lead the entire playoffs in scoring that year, too.

The defense was nothing to write home about, but that offense was pretty loaded.

HTT3*

From Friedman's 30 thoughts

At least Stephanie can recognize talent and it's readiness.

A third line of

Nyquist-Weiss-Tatar would be pretty swell.

Gator-Dats-Bert
Mule-Z-Alfie
Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist
Miller-Andersson-Tootoo/Eaves
Sammy
Cleary

Won't happen though.

Couple other interesting quotes from the article

I'd be down with that. I love the idea of splitting Z and D and using Wiess on the 3rd line. But I really do think Bert-Andy-Cleary line will perform and make it difficult for Babs to want to change up. I am hoping they do perform well, they looked good in pre-season

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That doesn't make any sense.

LTIR frees up a roster spot, and IF the team runs out of cap space, they can exceed the cap by up to the LTIR players' salaries, and no more than 7.5% over the cap ceiling.

In other words, the Wings didn't need to reach the cap ceiling. That's ridiculous. Plenty of teams at the lower end of the cap range put players on LTIR all the time. As they're in no danger of exceeding the cap ceiling, no one worries about it. If they did manage to run out of cap dollars, the amount that was LTIR salary could be be in the over-the-cap zone.

What I think the Wings are doing is two things. Freeing up roster space so they maximize on that front. They also know they can actually exceed the cap by the LTIR amounts, so they're willing to do it to give the kids a whirl.

Sorry, Fugu, that's not correct :) They don't NEED to reach the ceiling, but it is in their best interest to do so. When LTIR is initiated at the start of the season, the rules are a little different. You are allowed to exceed the cap by an amount equal to that of the cap hit(s) of the LTIR'd player(s). But, if you only exceed the cap by an amount that is less than equal to those players' cap hits, that is all you are allowed to exceed it by for the duration of time those players are on LTIR. So by maxing out the exception when the season starts, the Wings give themselves the maximum amount of relief going forward. Had they only taken advantage of, say, 50% of Helm/Eaves' cap hits, that's all they'd be allowed to go over the cap at any point those players are on LTIR. This is a change from the last CBA. It is explained in Article 50.10, Section D, and shown as an example in Illustration #4 under "Prior to Opening Day Illustrations."

As I said, it is a procedural move, one that gives the Wings maximum cap relief.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Remember how the 2011 Bruins didn't have a guy with over 62 points? Look at the 2006 Hurricanes.

Staal - 100 points
Williams - 76
Brind'amour - 70
Cole - 59 (in 60 games)

The defense was nothing to write home about, but that offense was pretty loaded.

The Canes are a pretty good example. That was a long while ago though. From what I can remember, Cam Ward was pretty unreal in net. I know those may not be sexy names. But Staal had a 100 points, and look at that other point production from those players. When's the last time the Wings had 4 players with 70 points or more before the last 2 CBA's.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Sorry, Fugu, that's not correct :) They don't NEED to reach the ceiling, but it is in their best interest to do so. When LTIR is initiated at the start of the season, the rules are a little different. You are allowed to exceed the cap by an amount equal to that of the cap hit(s) of the LTIR'd player(s). But, if you only exceed the cap by an amount that is less than equal to those players' cap hits, that is all you are allowed to exceed it by for the duration of time those players are on LTIR. So by maxing out the exception when the season starts, the Wings give themselves the maximum amount of relief going forward. Had they only taken advantage of, say, 50% of Helm/Eaves' cap hits, that's all they'd be allowed to go over the cap at any point those players are on LTIR. This is a change from the last CBA. It is explained in Article 50.10, Section D, and shown as an example in Illustration #4 under "Prior to Opening Day Illustrations."

As I said, it is a procedural move, one that gives the Wings maximum cap relief.

So in other words, very good management.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

As expected. With Coreau's and Ouellet's cap hits on the initial roster submission to the league, the Wings are now allowed to exceed the cap ceiling by an amount that is just about equal to the Helm+Eaves cap hits. And now that that initial submission is complete, they can send those guys down. The back-end of the procedural move :)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'd be down with that. I love the idea of splitting Z and D and using Wiess on the 3rd line. But I really do think Bert-Andy-Cleary line will perform and make it difficult for Babs to want to change up. I am hoping they do perform well, they looked good in pre-season

If that line produces, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong. Just don't see it happening. Too slow and unskilled.

RedWingsNow*

You did more than mention his name. You said letting him go was the crux of the downfall of the entire organization.

All I'm asking you to understand is that maybe people are played out on this topic, particularly in threads that it doesn't exactly relate to. Like 2013-2014 roster moves.

So pretty please?

bky4hot.gif

I would have loved to a Montreal Canadiens board board back in the day when the Habs chose Wickenheiser over Savard.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The 2011 Bruins are not a bad example in terms of point production. But C'mon, they had Chara and Thomas. They may have not been as proven as they are now. Still, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Krejic, Seguin. They were very legit and big contributors during the playoff run. Had guys like Kelly, Peverly, Ryder, Paille and others for depth. And some other very solid stay-at-home shut down D-men.

I like Jimmy a lot. But truly doubt he can play at the level that Thomas did that year. It's a combination of things ya know? Great D, Amazing goaltending, very good offense, clutch scoring, physicality and tremendous depth. Would it be wrong to say that the East is a lot more deep now, more skilled and youthful?

RedWingsNow*

Staal - 100 points
Williams - 76
Brind'amour - 70
Cole - 59 (in 60 games)

Bruins have Chara Lucic and maybe Bergeron as world class players.
Pretty hard not to see Eric Staal as world class. Drafted 2nd overall. 100 points.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think the 2011 Bruins were one of the deepest and most stacked teams of the cap era, I don't know if it best to expect that kind of situation. It would be a perfect storm to ever have that mix of veteran leadership, elite goaltending, young talent, etc.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Bruins have Chara Lucic and maybe Bergeron as world class players.
Pretty hard not to see Eric Staal as world class. Drafted 2nd overall. 100 points.

Anyone expect any player not named Datsyuk or Z to score over 70 points this year? Let alone a couple that manage to average a PPG?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
George Parros just slammed his head on the ice. Shame, he's a good guy.

CBC is talking about the arms race of "tough guys" in the Atlantic division. Glad we're getting rid of Tootoo.

RedWingsNow*

Boston's forwards in 2011 are a good example. Not a top scorer in the bunch, if memory serves me right. Of course, they got all-world performances from Chara and Thomas, so that's kind of factor.

Chara, Thomas, Bergeron and Lucic and maybe David Krejc.. those are some pretty awesome players

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Anyone expect any player not named Datsyuk or Z to score over 70 points this year? Let alone a couple that manage to average a PPG?

I don't expect anyone on the Bruins to score over 70pts either though. They have great players, but they score by committee like the Wings of the late 90's and early '00's. They haven't had a 70pt scorer since 2008-2009, but they definitely make it work with insane depth. They're my pick to win the cup again.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I don't expect anyone on the Bruins to score over 70pts either though. They have great players, but they score by committee like the Wings of the late 90's and early '00's. They haven't had a 70pt scorer since 2008-2009, but they definitely make it work with insane depth. They're my pick to win the cup again.

I was referring to the Canes in 2006 I think. The Wings of the late '90's, early 2000's were hall of fame loaded and had real good depth of players. That's not really applicable here.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I was referring to the Canes in 2006 I think. The Wings of the late '90's, early 2000's were hall of fame loaded and had real good depth of players. That's not really applicable here.

Yeah it is. They're almost a carbon copy of how they tried to roll lines and get production from every line IMO.

RedWingsNow*

That works both ways though, we just as well might be cupless with a very hit or miss post-season Hossa. Nobody knows one way or the other, so those arguing the other way are doing the same thing.

Would we win the cup?
Who knows.

Would Datsyuk-Hossa be better than Datsyuk-Franzen for the last 4 years? To me, there's no question.

If our line was Datsyuk-Hossa going up against Handzus-Franzen last year --- no question.
Hossa brings instant credibility to any line he's on.

RedWingsNow*

It doesn't matter though. A guy like Lucic might score 28 goals and 50 points. But he does sooooo much more for that team. He's a weapon that any coach in the NHL would die to have.
He's not a world class playmaker -- but he's one of the best assets a team can have.
Same with Chara. He's not the elite playmaker Lidstrom was. But he's a truly world class hockey player.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
It doesn't matter though. A guy like Lucic might score 28 goals and 50 points. But he does sooooo much more for that team. He's a weapon that any coach in the NHL would die to have.
He's not a world class playmaker -- but he's one of the best assets a team can have.
Same with Chara. He's not the elite playmaker Lidstrom was. But he's a truly world class hockey player.

And amazingly enough Lucic almost got traded/benched last year. Boston would've been kicking themselves more than they'll kick themselves for trading Seguin (and I love Loui Eriksson).

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Yeah it is. They're almost a carbon copy of how they tried to roll lines and get production from every line IMO.

Who? I'm a little lost now. We talking 2006 Canes or 2011 Bruins? Let's just scratch 2006 Canes. Too long ago. Not relevant. As someone mentioned earlier, the 2011 Bruins were an ideal combination of elite goaltending, great d, a strong top 6 with real good talent, clutch scoring, grit, youth, veteran high energy depth and physicality. I'll just say the last couple years I've watched a lot of playoff hockey. And the more successful teams have some vital things the Wings lack. Moving forward the Wings might gain some of those things but will lose some other more important assets.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Who? I'm a little lost now. We talking 2006 Canes or 2011 Bruins? Let's just scratch 2006 Canes. Too long ago. Not relevant. As someone mentioned earlier, the 2011 Bruins were an ideal combination of elite goaltending, great d, a strong top 6 with real good talent, clutch scoring, grit, youth, veteran high energy depth and physicality.

I was talking about the Bruins haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad