Roster moves prior to season opener (Emmerton clears waivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
really?

wasnt that his plan, to take advantage of LTIR? and how do you get placed on LTIR?

he had no plan to make trades to better the team, because every one knew nobody would want any of those scrubs in the first place and kenny knew it too

which begs the question why sign so many players/not move players out ages ago if you know the only way to reduce them is through injuries?

How do you know what his plan was? If nobody had gotten injured, he would have had to make other moves.

Anyone who has ever played the game knows that injuries happen.

Either way, he's not looking these guys in the eye as he's signing their contracts and telling them he hopes they get injured, the way you keep repeatedly insisting he does.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Henkka could you provide a source proving we would be cupless with Hossa in those years? You have a tendency to make statement as fact that unless you have about inside source we don't know about you have no way of knowing.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not a 40 goal scorer. But still a top 6 of elite level guys. Depth of course. But Tim Thomas was unreal. The team they beat. CHOKED. That team had 2 superstars and at the time Kessler was pretty damn good IIRC.

I just looked, they didn't have a guy with over 62 points that year, and only 2 of them did that. Bergeron had 57 points in 80 games. That's Franzen level. :sarcasm:

They were all close to PPG in the playoffs though, plus Thomas and the aforementioned choke job by the Nucks.

Of all the teams to emulate, I'm the biggest fan of Boston, not Chicago. And I think the Wings have enough good years left from Datsyuk and Zetterberg to pull it off if they can build around them with the kids and a timely acquisition.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
How do you know what his plan was? If nobody had gotten injured, he would have had to make other moves.

Either way, he's not looking these guys in the eye as he's signing their contracts and telling them he hopes they get injured, the way you keep repeatedly insisting he does.

i know it for a fact because he didnt make those moves before players got injured and he had months to do so, in fact, he signed even more players only to compound the problem and thus require more players to get injured

his actions speak volumes

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Example?

Hawks : Kane, Toews, Keith
Pens: Geno, Sidney, Letang
Bruins: Chara, Thomas, Bergeron, Lucic
Kings: Doughty, Quick, Kopitar (Richards/Carter?)
Wings: Dats, Z, St. Nick.

I'm not saying you can't. But as of late a team with a couple superstars and a great goalie or great D seems to work.

Only 3 of those teams have what I would personally characterize as "superstar" cores. On Boston, only Chara, on the Kings, Quick I suppose. I guess it's kind of subjective based on what you define as a superstar. I do not consider Bergeron, Lucic, Kopitar, to be superstars.

I think the Blues are an example of a solid team without any real elite players despite Halak and Backes. Some people think this is their year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Henkka could you provide a source proving we would be cupless with Hossa in those years?

pInVhpO.png

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Henkka could you provide a source proving we would be cupless with Hossa in those years? You have a tendency to make statement as fact that unless you have about inside source we don't know about you have no way of knowing.

I have a theory the Wings will remain cupless so long as Hossa is being mentioned on these boards.:sarcasm:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That works both ways though, we just as well might be cupless with a very hit or miss post-season Hossa. Nobody knows one way or the other, so those arguing the other way are doing the same thing.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think the Blues are an example of a solid team without any real elite players despite Halak and Backes. Some people think this is their year.

Alex Pietrangelo. He's the real deal. But I get your point.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I just looked, they didn't have a guy with over 62 points that year, and only 2 of them did that. Bergeron had 57 points in 80 games. That's Franzen level. :sarcasm:

They were all close to PPG in the playoffs though, plus Thomas and the aforementioned choke job by the Nucks.

Of all the teams to emulate, I'm the biggest fan of Boston, not Chicago. And I think the Wings have enough good years left from Datsyuk and Zetterberg to pull it off if they can build around them with the kids and a timely acquisition.

Stop changing the narrative! :laugh: Kidding. But yeah, I get upset this and past years because the Wings brass hasn't done enough to surround our two fantastic players with enough talent to win a cup before their time runs out. Tick tock Ken Holland. Tick tock. Wings can't count on find another Datsyuk or Z in round 5 thru 7 any longer. Not happening. The rest of the league has caught up in euro scouting and the CBA is even more all for parity.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The most depressing aspect of this off season as a fan, is that the Wings wont be putting the best product they have on the ice. You are ripping off the fans who come watch the Wings play tomorrow. It's why i'm not going to the home opener and will be watching the game from home.

If Hossa doesn't leave, Hawks don't win the cup, and you can take that to the bank. That's a win in my book.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
i know it for a fact because he didnt make those moves before players got injured and he had months to do so, in fact, he signed even more players only to compound the problem and thus require more players to get injured

his actions speak volumes

So you're saying you know for a fact that he wasn't planning all along to wait until training camp to make moves? I'm curious how you know that?

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
The most depressing aspect of this off season as a fan, is that the Wings wont be putting the best product they have on the ice. You are ripping off the fans who come watch the Wings play tomorrow. It's why i'm not going to the home opener and will be watching the game from home.

Can I have your tickets, since you won't be using them?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That works both ways though, we just as well might be cupless with a very hit or miss post-season Hossa. Nobody knows one way or the other, so those arguing the other way are doing the same thing.

Sure, obviously obviously no one knows. My point was stating it as fact is silly. BTW I'm on team it's ridiculous to even keep bringing it up anymore. How about that Terrible Ted trade, fire everyone! *Shakes fist*

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Only 3 of those teams have what I would personally characterize as "superstar" cores. On Boston, only Chara, on the Kings, Quick I suppose. I guess it's kind of subjective based on what you define as a superstar. I do not consider Bergeron, Lucic, Kopitar, to be superstars.

Semantics. You could say they're only 6 or 7 actual "superstars" in the NHL if you want. Kopitar is elite. You seen any Kopitar's or Lucic's in the Wings system? Honestly.

The Blues are loaded with 1st and 2nd round picks (They were bad for awhile). Solid real good vets. And a lot of sick young talent. They haven't won **** though.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Semantics. You could say they're only 6 or 7 actual "superstars" in the NHL if you want. Kopitar is elite. You seen any Kopitar's or Lucic's in the Wings system? Honestly.

The Blues are loaded with 1st and 2nd round picks (They were bad for awhile). Solid real good vets. And a lot of sick young talent. They haven't won **** though.

I think the top 5-7 players in each category can be defined as superstars. Bergeron, Lucic, Kopitar, they are not on the level of Malkin, Crosby, Toews, Datsyuk. They are very very good players, better than most. But not "superstars." It's just a tier above. I mean, do we have a Kessler or a Hossa? I wouldn't call them superstars either.

There are very few d-men in the league on the level of Chara, and before he retired, Lidstrom, Keith.

Goalies are too few for me to call, personally. And some of them seem very volatile. One year a goalie is unbeatable, then he drops back down to earth.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I think the top 5-7 players in each category can be defined as superstars. Bergeron, Lucic, Kopitar, they are not on the level of Malkin, Crosby, Toews, Datsyuk. They are very very good players, better than most. But not "superstars." It's just a tier above. I mean, do we have a Kessler or a Hossa? I wouldn't call them superstars either.

There are very few d-men in the league on the level of Chara, and before he retired, Lidstrom, Keith.

Goalies are too few for me to call, personally. And some of them seem very volatile. One year a goalie is unbeatable, then he drops back down to earth.

I think we got off track a bit. You said you don't need superstars. I disagree given recent history. We can debate what's a superstar and what's not. I'll contend that you need 4 of the 50-60 best players in the league to win the SCF. The past 5 or 6 winners all had that arguably. In the coming years I don't see the Wings having that. Teams like Boston and LA had fantastic depth. Look at their 3rd and 4th lines when they won. High energy/physical bottoms 6's with skill mixed in. Remember the Kings 4th line? That line was awesome.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The 06 'Canes didn't have any superstars. Staal, Ward, and Brind'amour were the leaders, but at the time I wouldn't consider any of them a superstar. That team was practically the definition of depth winning a cup.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Has hockey started yet? If we are going to complain about things I'd rather it be about the atrocious current decisions or poor play.

First few games are going to be painful unless this lineup changes quick. Bottom 6 is just rough.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
From Friedman's 30 thoughts

Weiss said, "In Florida...a lot of times the young guys come up, they come to the big time right away and maybe they're not as ready. Maybe I wasn't as ready as I could've been at 19...You can see it [in Detroit] with these kids, they're big and strong and ready to be pros now."

At least Stephanie can recognize talent and it's readiness.

A third line of

Nyquist-Weiss-Tatar would be pretty swell.

Gator-Dats-Bert
Mule-Z-Alfie
Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist
Miller-Andersson-Tootoo/Eaves
Sammy
Cleary

Won't happen though.

Couple other interesting quotes from the article

15. Back to Weiss, on his biggest adjustment in Detroit: playing man-to-man defence after a lifetime of zone coverage. During an exhibition loss to Pittsburgh last week, he said he was "looking to play the zone and then thought, 'Wait a minute, I gotta find somebody here.'"

16. His stall is right next to Henrik Zetterberg's. The captain requested Weiss replace the departed Valtteri Filppula. "For a new guy coming in, who signed for five years, it might be a little easier if he sits next to me. We can go over things: plays and whatnot," Zetterberg said, adding he wanted Alfredsson next to Joakim Andersson. "You need to try and mix up the Swedes a little bit. I think it made more sense to have Weiss there than Alfie." (Thanks to Bill Roose, who got those quotes for me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad