Rumor: Roster Move Coming - Vey + Toffoli Recalled, Ellerby on Waivers

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Biggest mistake DL has made thus far was not resigning Penner. Couldve traded stoll, lewis, fraser and king to sign Penner. Now were gonna be looking at an 8th seed or possibly no playoffs this season.

Yeah, Penner was useles. Lol.

No, this was one of his best moves. The worst ones were Purcell for a high draft pick and Jeff Halpern and letting Moulson go. Those were brutal.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
Vey and Toffoli should have made the team out of preseason. Everyone new this team lacked offense, but management went with a bunch of role players instead. Now Sutter has to get it in his skull that this team needs Toffoli and Vey in the lineup. Or else the kings will be on the road in the playoffs again.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
No, this was one of his best moves. The worst ones were Purcell for a high draft pick and Jeff Halpern and letting Moulson go. Those were brutal.

Where do people keep getting this crap about Moulson ?

Moulson was an UFA and signed where he thought he would have the best option to play a top six role....

Moulson choose the right option, he would not be the player he is today had he played under Terry Murray...

And no one would give two shi#$ts about the guy(had he stayed).

Going to the NYI and playing next to Tavares in high PP/offensive zone starts, let Moulson develop his best attributes(Scoring).

That would have not happened on the Kings.

Same for Purcell, Purcell plays next too (TWO) of the best players in the NHL.

You would have too be brain dead to not put up points playing with Stamkos/St lou.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Actually, I think Purcell is on the 3rd line but he gets #1 or #2 power play time.

The strike on both those guys was there skating. The East, minus Detroit (who just recently joined) has always been known as the slower conference. A player who has great hands and poor skating usually can excel in the East, but will struggle in the West.

Look at the Sharks, Yotes, Oilers, and Hawks...those teams can fly. Even the Ducks have 1-2 lines that are built on speed. The West has been winning the Cup year after year...The Ducks, Hawks, Kings, Wings...5 out of the last 7 Stanley Cup Champions have come out of the Western Conference.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Dustin Penner is making 2 million on the Ducks, that's hardly a lot of money for a playoff warrior.

Seven goals and 18 points in 44 games is not a playoff warrior, and that's what he did in his three playoffs with LA. In his entire playoff career he has 13 goals and 35 points in 78 games. That's mediocore for a guy getting mostly top two line time 9and linemates) and powerplay time to boot.

Trevor Lewis played 44 games for the Kings as well the past three playoffs and has five goals and 16 points, playing far less time with skilled linemates. Does that make him the Megatron of Kings post-season?

A hypothetical question:

If we are playoff bound but are still in search of a 2LW, and the dux are out of the playoffs, do we trade for Penner?

Doesn't he have a two year deal? If so, pass. I'd consider renting him if he's fairly cheap and we just can't find anyone better, but I fail to see how we can't considering the options we have internally like Toffoli and Pearson. Those two are just as likely to do something as Pancake.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I can't believe people are defending Mr. 11 Regular Season Goals.

Yes, because we have so many fantastic goal scorers on this team not named Jeff Carter.

The talent was always there with Penner and it came out in the playoffs. His skillset was perfect on this team.

But yes, Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis bring so much more.

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
Darryl Sutter, on what he “saw†from Toffoli and Vey in their Manchester stint:
They got better. They didn’t have a very good start, and I don’t base it on goals, assists, points. You base it on what level, what tempo, what pace they can play at, which would apply to this here, and where they have to play. I’m not going to play one of those guys four, five minutes. If they’re going to be here, they’re going to play, or they’re going to watch and learn, like we did with Tyler last year. It doesn’t do any good to dress any of those kids and put them on the bench for four or five minutes. If they’re going to play, they’re going to play in situations where they can use their ability – and that’s what we’re looking for when you say, ‘what did you see?’ Well, that’s what you’re looking for. You’re looking at him to maximize their ability at the level that they’re at. And they’re not the same. That’s another problem…You put Pearson and Toffoli and Toffoli and Vey together always. Why would you put them together? One guy’s left wing. One guy’s right wing. One guy’s fourth year, third year pro. One guy’s a centerman. They’re all different. They might play on three different teams before it’s all done, so it’s not like they’re tied together. In fact, there’s no way they’re tied together, because none of them are the same player. If they were identical players, then they might beat each other out. But that’s not what they do, right? Linden is a different type of player than Tyler. Tyler is a different type of player than Tanner. You’re looking at what they do, just encapsulate it.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/11/06/sutter-on-vey-toffolis-usage/

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I'd look into getting Scott Hartnell from Philly. He plays the Kings style of game. I guarantee you they would love to drop him considering he has one point this year like 10 points in his last 35. We know he can fill the stat sheet and is a LW. I bet Philly picks up some of that contract too.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'd look into getting Scott Hartnell from Philly. He plays the Kings style of game. I guarantee you they would love to drop him considering he has one point this year like 10 points in his last 35. We know he can fill the stat sheet and is a LW. I bet Philly picks up some of that contract too.

He doesn't play the Kings style of game and he's terrible. There is a reason he has 0 assists in the llast 35 games. He has an awful contract, is mediocre defensively and takes a lot of costly penalies. And the Flyers don't have the room to take part of his contract.
He's awful and overated.
He's 100% not what they need. NO more grinders....

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
He doesn't play the Kings style of game and he's terrible. There is a reason he has 0 assists in the llast 35 games. He has an awful contract, is mediocre defensively and takes a lot of costly penalies. And the Flyers don't have the room to take part of his contract.
He's awful and overated.

He is actually one of the more responsible defensive forwards on Philly. He hits, he possesses the puck at an elite level, he actually gets his hands dirty in front of the net and his hand eye coordination is superb. In regards to his stats, have you looked at Philly's forwards the last 40 games? Every one of them can't score for the life of them. We know that Hartnell can score. He's done it his whole career.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Hartnell is not a grinder He would look good in la ( thinking who care if all he does is goal we have kopitar doing mostly assists i think that sorta works out). That being said what would we trade for him? well we would have to trade one of clifford king or carcillio maybe frattin ? i honestly dont see what we have that philly would want for him

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
As much as I love guys like Hartnell, this is the last thing the Kings need. He is 31, has a large contract and not producing.

These are our needs....

1. We need a power forward LW for Carter-Richards. Thought Hartnell fits that mold and is LW, he has 1 goal in 10 games and only 8 in 32 games last year. Who knows, maybe a trade would wake him up...
2. We need a scoring forward at the 3rd line RW Spot (hopefully Toffoli fills that role)

I believe Hartnell is friends with Stoll and Richards, Carter.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
He is actually one of the more responsible defensive forwards on Philly. He hits, he possesses the puck at an elite level, he actually gets his hands dirty in front of the net and his hand eye coordination is superb. In regards to his stats, have you looked at Philly's forwards the last 40 games? Every one of them can't score for the life of them. We know that Hartnell can score. He's done it his whole career.

He's over 30. His production has fallen off a cliff since his career year in 11/12 and he makes 4.75M this season and the following five seasons. Terrible investment all around.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
As much as I love guys like Hartnell, this is the last thing the Kings need. He is 31, has a large contract and not producing.

These are our needs....

1. We need a power forward LW for Carter-Richards. Thought Hartnell fits that mold and is LW, he has 1 goal in 10 games and only 8 in 32 games last year. Who knows, maybe a trade would wake him up...
2. We need a scoring forward at the 3rd line RW Spot (hopefully Toffoli fills that role)

I believe Hartnell is friends with Stoll and Richards, Carter.

Again, points are not an issue to me. Nobody has points on Philly. What does voracek have? Four points? Less for Simmonds. Giroux has 5 ish points? We know he can score.

The real question in my mind is if Philly would take some money back in trade in order to clear SOME space. I don't think the kings can just give up a draft pick salary wise.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Again, points are not an issue to me. Nobody has points on Philly. What does voracek have? Four points? Less for Simmonds. Giroux has 5 ish points? We know he can score.

The real question in my mind is if Philly would take some money back in trade in order to clear SOME space. I don't think the kings can just give up a draft pick salary wise.

Just curious if you are not worried about his points cause no one on philly can score, why would it be different on the kings, who also can't score?

Captain Mittens*

He's over 30. His production has fallen off a cliff since his career year in 11/12 and he makes 4.75M this season and the following five seasons. Terrible investment all around.

this.com

Captain Mittens*

I will trade any combination of Fraser, Stoll, or Frattin and something else for Hartnell...that's about it...Possibly Martinez too.
His contract is a killer and he is only going to decline further.

Find your inner kid from the 80's and Just Say No

nancy_reagan2.jpg

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Well lets assume next year Pearson is the LW next to Carter and Richards.

Lets also assume also that Lewis walks as a UFA and Toffoli takes that 3rd line RW. He will get power play time as well.

Fraser will walk as a UFA well.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Toffoli
Clifford-Vey-Nolan/Frattin

This is what I'm hoping. The following year Williams will walk and TT can slide up to the #1 RW spot.

That would also let Frattin slide back up to #3 RW assuming he makes it another 2-3 years with the way he is playing...

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
If Hartnell's contract was for only one or two more years and the Flyers ate about a million of that cap hit, I'd think about it. Five more years on that contract is a nonstarter

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Yes, because we have so many fantastic goal scorers on this team not named Jeff Carter.

The talent was always there with Penner and it came out in the playoffs. His skillset was perfect on this team.

But yes, Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis bring so much more.

How is seven goals in 44 games showing his offense 'came out'? He had two big goals and suddenly people think Penner is gold in the playoffs. And really, if he hadn't scored that series winning goal against Pheonix, does anyone here really think that someone else wouldn't have, either that game or in games six or seven? He just happened to be in the right palce at the right time. Good for him, but it doesn't make up for spending three-quarters of the regular season getting winded from drinking out of the gatorade bottle.

He looked greatly improved in the playoffs, but that's because he played like ********* in the regular season.

He's awful and overated.

As a player, I'd take Hartnell on this team in a heartbeat. Total Sutter player, all about dedication and drive and is a very good character guy. I've followed him since Prince Albert and he the youngest ever captain of that team at the time (might still be a record he holds today). He's a leader, just in his own unique way.

As a contract though, I'd avoid him like the plague. He's worth about $3 mill a year, not $4.75 mill.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Looks like Martinez in for Greene. Wouldn't be surprised if Sutter played a gimped Greene over Martinez tomorrow though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad