Line Combos: Roster/lines discussion

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't mind a 1 year contract of 1.5 mil.

If Murphy is sent down that means there are only 2 extra scratches if we're in compliance to the proposed lines.

Boychuk-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Dalpe
Tlusty-Jokinen-Larose
Bowman-Brent-Dwyer
Westgarth

Gleason-Corvo
Pitkanen-Faulk
Harrison-Sangs
Mcbain

Ward
Ellis

I was surprised when Wallace was sent down. If we really are running with 23 players for the first game, then we have a strong case for Gomez. If else, it'll be Murphy as the 23rd skater.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
could have sworn i heard muller bring up welsh's name on nhl live along w/ bowman boychuk and murphy--said staal staal and welsh down the middle would be good

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
I wouldn't mind a 1 year contract of 1.5 mil.

If Murphy is sent down that means there are only 2 extra scratches if we're in compliance to the proposed lines.

Boychuk-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Dalpe
Tlusty-Jokinen-Larose
Bowman-Brent-Dwyer
Westgarth

Gleason-Corvo
Pitkanen-Faulk
Harrison-Sangs
Mcbain

Ward
Ellis

I was surprised when Wallace was sent down. If we really are running with 23 players for the first game, then we have a strong case for Gomez. If else, it'll be Murphy as the 23rd skater.

Murphy will go down for sure...physically he is just not ready yet.

Gomez might be an ok addition but where do you put him...maybe the 4th line with:
Bowman-Gomez-Brent/Dwyer

Sounds stupid but why not consider a veteran depth signing in:

Langkow...11 goals 30 pts playing with PHX

After some of the moves JR has already done you gotta trust that the Canes are in good hands:

Semin...30+ goal player
Staal...30 goal player
Westgarth...veteran enforcer...cup champ
Ellis...veteran back up
Nodl...waivers...I actually like Nodl he just didn't fit like Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman
Stewart...traded...good trade
Boucher...traded...coming off injuries

And with Ruutu on LTIR Rutherford still has $18M in cap space to work with...honestly the Canes are in an amazing spot for a late trade deadline playoff run!!!

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
guys don't forget that muller had our group last year going 20 and 12 or something like that at the end of the season. and that was with that group. yeah we lost brandon sutter but we have semin now

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Hello Canes fans, I'll keep this short and sweet. I was just wondering if there was any knowledge as to whether or not Faulk will see top line PP time. How much points would you project him to get and where would be project to top out at?

Thanks in advance!

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Hello Canes fans, I'll keep this short and sweet. I was just wondering if there was any knowledge as to whether or not Faulk will see top line PP time. How much points would you project him to get and where would be project to top out at?

Thanks in advance!

He will. I'd expect him to get 15-20 points in this shortened season. I think he'll top out as a 35-45 point #2 defenseman.

Mr America

Sep 19, 2010
www.hockeyfights.com
I was really hoping that Tlusty would be able to play with Eric again. Last season he played like a Chad with finishing ability.

I also hope with all this talk about a bigger fourth line they don't play one of the flyweight do nothings over Westgarth.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Someone's probably hurt. There's gonna be a lot of groin pulls in the next month.

Or do we have roster room if we send down Murphy?

Yes. JR said they were taking 23 to Florida for the first game. If Murphy get's sent back to Kitchener, then Welsh would make 23.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yeah Murphy's back down...

I'm guessing Murphy is the reason Welsh was sent back down. If Murphy was ready for an audition of <10 games, Welsh would have stayed in Charlotte until that audition ended.

I don't think there was much ice time available for Murphy given 7 defensemen on the roster already. Sending him back makes sense, and now Welsh can come back up.

Also, the Checkers probably needed as many bodies as possible for games on Wed. and Th. against Grand Rapids.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Rushing Murphy is dumb given what we have. He won't make or break us this season regardless. This way sangs gets his shot, and with injuries guys like Jordan and gragnani will get shots too. Obviously mcbain can play his way back as well.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Per Chip and Michael Smith, top 3 lines for tomorrow set:

Boychuk - Staal - Semin
Skinner - Staal - Dalpe
Tlusty - Jokinen - Larose

4th line still being sorted out.

Also, apparently no choice for 7th defenseman tomorrow (either McBain or Sangs).

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Well, this is Boychuk's and Dalpe's chance to shine. Both have great centers and another attention drawing wing on the other side. Time to step up and produce.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I like those lines. all potential scoring lines and if Dalpe and Boychuk step up and convert even half their chances, we'll be in good shape.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I say stick with this top 9 for at least 10 games. After that, depending on if they're working or not, try switching Boychuk with Tlusty. Dalpe doesn't really have to blow us away, just hold his own to keep that spot, seeing as he's really the only other right shot we've got... However, if he does fall flat, you could switch Larose with Dalpe, giving us a sweet 3rd line of Tlusty - Jokinen - Dalpe.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
10 minutes into first period: Dwyer and LaRose in top six.

mauriceMain.jpg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If they don't work, I'd move jokinen and tlusty up and let the kids have a shot at the third line. Dalpe or welsh could center. Larose probably stays with them.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I say stick with this top 9 for at least 10 games. After that, depending on if they're working or not, try switching Boychuk with Tlusty.

It all depends on how the team is doing. Unfortunately, there are only 42 games, so if the Canes are winning, then Muller has some time. But if not, he can't stick with this for 1/4 of the season if they aren't working out.

The benefit Boychuk and Dalpe have is that they are in game shape due to playing in the AHL all this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad