Speculation: Roster Improvements - Part II

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Do you guys really think Forsberg would have broke out with us like he has with Nashville? Forsberg has broken out because he's been given top line minutes which he wouldn't be close to getting on our team. Not saying Koekkoek was the better pick but you have to look at the situation, Koekkoek will be our 2nd line anchor for years.

There were some issues with Fowler and Gormley as both dropped in the draft, teams in need of D kept picking forwards instead. Fowler has started strong and looks good but again who knows if he does the same for us. We had Hedman, Ohlund was a recent signing, not sure if we had traded Meszaros yet, Ranger was still in the system and nobody knew what was going on with him. Our forwards were Stamkos/Vinny/St. Louis only. Purcell hadn't broke out, Marty was old, Downie was an energy guy so we could use someone with scoring ability. You could tell when Connolly made the team at 19 we needed forward depth, Fowler may have made the team young too but we will never know.

Wiz is not better then Yandle either, he was once on similar levels but his play this season has not been very good while Yandle has continued to improve. Wiz also makes more and is a few years older so may continue to slide. Rather not go for either unless really cheap.

Wiz has been a top 25 dman for the past three years. He is most certainly a better dman than Yandle. And the point production difference is minimal at best. The numbers all prove these statements.

Age isn't a big deal. 31 is not 37. And he has two years left on a solid contract. And the biggest thing, if nothing else does it for you to say one is better than the other, is that he's a righty.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wiz has been a top 25 dman for the past three years. He is most certainly a better dman than Yandle. And the point production difference is minimal at best. The numbers all prove these statements.

Age isn't a big deal. 31 is not 37. And he has two years left on a solid contract. And the biggest thing, if nothing else does it for you to say one is better than the other, is that he's a righty.

Yandle has been a top 10 defenseman the past 3 seasons, offensively. Neither are very good defensively so I would call that a wash. Yandle has scored 30 more points the past 3 seasons. Yes he played more games but still higher ppg average, he's also healthier hasn't missed a game since his second season, Wisniewski misses games here and there. How is he better? Close sure but clearly not better.

Sure the couple of years age difference isn't much but Yandle has always been healthy while not looking like he's slowing down or beginning to diminish in skill. Obviously the price on Wiz is cheaper and he's a RD but if we want a PP spark I'd go Yandle.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Until trade deadline I wish just one thing : not to move Conolly. I hope Yzy will resign him and give him another chance. Later this season (now) he started to play pretty good and goals are coming from him. If his ice-time will be 15+ next season, I think he can score 30+ goals and play nice physically - that's what we miss in our top 6. I know we've got Callahan there, but he isn't typical power forward.

Connolly isn't the typical power forward either, but it's interesting how he's finally adopted a physical game. This makes his potential higher in my eyes, and he could be a key guy in the playoffs if he stays. One of those lower liners with a scoring touch that will catch the other team off guard.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Connolly isn't the typical power forward either, but it's interesting how he's finally adopted a physical game. This makes his potential higher in my eyes, and he could be a key guy in the playoffs if he stays. One of those lower liners with a scoring touch that will catch the other team off guard.

Agreed. Connolly has become a guy I don't want to move.

Honestly, there's no (regular) forward on our roster I'd want to move. I wouldn't mind getting a guy that could replace Brown/Morrow on the fourth, but ya know.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Yandle has been a top 10 defenseman the past 3 seasons, offensively. Neither are very good defensively so I would call that a wash. Yandle has scored 30 more points the past 3 seasons. Yes he played more games but still higher ppg average, he's also healthier hasn't missed a game since his second season, Wisniewski misses games here and there. How is he better? Close sure but clearly not better.

Sure the couple of years age difference isn't much but Yandle has always been healthy while not looking like he's slowing down or beginning to diminish in skill. Obviously the price on Wiz is cheaper and he's a RD but if we want a PP spark I'd go Yandle.

Which one would you rather have?

112ex7b.jpg

fuuuz7.jpg

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I choose option C. Which stands for confused as ****.

He's asking which stats Hose would rather have without listing whose they are (he's accusing Hose of employing a bias for Yandle). FWIW, I don't have an opinion outside of contract differences.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I choose option C. Which stands for confused as ****.

I am too, I don't follow or care about advanced stats. Yandle is the better player, I don't want neither as the price will be too high. I've been an advocate for Michalek for awhile, we need more D from the back end not offense.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I am too, I don't follow or care about advanced stats. Yandle is the better player, I don't want neither as the price will be too high. I've been an advocate for Michalek for awhile, we need more D from the back end not offense.

Yandle is the better player. Except, well, he's not.

What. The hell. Is that?

Confused on me posting those graphs or confused about what they say?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

I just have no idea what those charts are supposed to mean. I figure they are advanced statistics but I don't know what they mean or how it is a a curate indication on how good a player is.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Please explain how he is without advanced stats? Teddy Purcell was a great advanced stats, possession player, we all knew he was garbage and not as good as the stats said. The eye test tells me Yandle is better.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
all fancy stats (which are those charts that IS posted) are basically shots and unblocked shots and what-have-yous, and are really the best metric we have for stratifying defensemen in this league. and it's pretty clear that the wiz is not only a good dude, but also a step above Yandle defensively.

Couple that with his right-handedness and cool ass hockey name, and he really is a better choice for us between the two.

unfortunately, that dude is the only person in the whole world that apparently likes being in ohio, and he has used his conditional NTC to block out all teams that have the cap space and the needs for an offensive defenseman. so basically: Tampa

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Not for nothing, but you don't really get to play the "I don't care for advanced stats" card and still then say "Player B is better than Player A" without explaining with proper context. With those graphs, it's really quite obvious which player would be the better choice, even before factoring in contract considerations.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not for nothing, but you don't really get to play the "I don't care for advanced stats" card and still then say "Player B is better than Player A" without explaining with proper context. With those graphs, it's really quite obvious which player would be the better choice, even before factoring in contract considerations.

I thought I did when I explained Purcell was an advanced stat stud but not a good player. We wouldn't be bringing in Wiz or Yandle to block shots so not concerned who does it more, Yandle is better at transition and the PP. Contract wise I think Yandle's is better, cap hit is similar but his ends when Stamkos does. We can then decide if he's worth keeping or give the bank to Stamkos. With Wiz somebody would have to be dealt before then since he has that extra year. Koekkoek or DeAngelo could also emerge next year making either no longer a need after next season.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I thought I did when I explained Purcell was an advanced stat stud but not a good player. We wouldn't be bringing in Wiz or Yandle to block shots so not concerned who does it more, Yandle is better at transition and the PP. Contract wise I think Yandle's is better, cap hit is similar but his ends when Stamkos does. We can then decide if he's worth keeping or give the bank to Stamkos. With Wiz somebody would have to be dealt before then since he has that extra year. Koekkoek or DeAngelo could also emerge next year making either no longer a need after next season.

i really am not trying to sway you, as it really doesn't matter anyway, but saying that advanced stats are for "block shots" is a gross oversimplification and i cannot tell if this is your gimmick or if you're serious.

i mean, not to get into a zero sum argument with you, Yandle is an excellent player and athlete and we would be a better team if we landed him. really what everyone else is saying is that the wiz is just a better fit for our needs at the moment.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
i really am not trying to sway you, as it really doesn't matter anyway, but saying that advanced stats are for "block shots" is a gross oversimplification and i cannot tell if this is your gimmick or if you're serious.

i mean, not to get into a zero sum argument with you, Yandle is an excellent player and athlete and we would be a better team if we landed him. really what everyone else is saying is that the wiz is just a better fit for our needs at the moment.

Like I said I don't follow advanced stats so I don't know what those charts mean. I saw you post something about shots, unblocked shots, thought blocked shots too.

Again, I would be against either because of the price to acquire but the only thing Wiz has is a right hand shot. Contract isn't any better nor is his skillset, it's just handedness that he's more preferable. Wiz has also been a healthy scratch this year because his play hasn't been very good, don't want to take my chances on someone who isn't playing well on a poor team. He doesn't want to leave so if we did convince him not sure how much desire he'd have since he's content staying on a losing team, most players would love to go to a winner and not try to block that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You guys think Stevie trades for petry and sells him to resign in tampa over the redwings ? It is stevie yzerman ?

Yzlamic Preacher*

You guys think Stevie trades for petry and sells him to resign in tampa over the redwings ? It is stevie yzerman ?

Don't want Petry anymore, not at the price that Edmonton will now want. Thanks LA, you dicks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't want Petry anymore, not at the price that Edmonton will now want. Thanks LA, you dicks.

Petry's probably still worth a 2nd. Sekera has a much stronger track record.

ADD: Jagr off the board, just in case anyone still wanted him. Off to FLA for a 2nd and a 3rd.

Last edited:

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Here is a wishful trade I'm thinking about.

With the Blackhawks kane out and there is really no one the Hawks could get to really perfectly replace him.

so I'm thinking what would we have to offer to get Seabrook?

I'm thinking Filpula or Killorn or which forward and add.

Is it unrealistic to offer something like this?

Fillpula or Killorn
Carle for free to help ease them trading off Seabrook
and I guess we could throw in a Sustr or another 3rd pairing defender.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Here is a wishful trade I'm thinking about.

With the Blackhawks kane out and there is really no one the Hawks could get to really perfectly replace him.

so I'm thinking what would we have to offer to get Seabrook?

I'm thinking Filpula or Killorn or which forward and add.

Is it unrealistic to offer something like this?

Fillpula or Killorn
Carle for free to help ease them trading off Seabrook
and I guess we could throw in a Sustr or another 3rd pairing defender.

Comes with a big caphit. But, it would allow chicago out of some cap crunch. He is only signed for another year at 5.8 (2016 ufa). Would be interested to see what it would take.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seabrook is a pipe dream, guys. At least this season. Maybe in the off-season when Chicago deals with cap issues. But for right now, they're going all in. No way they sell off that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad