Line Combos: Roster for 2021/2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That’s fair too, I was just more willing to trust the Jets’ scouts, especially considering they had a fantastic track record, than I was willing to trust a bunch of Joe Blows on the Internet.

edit: also plenty of folks had no interest in seeing how Pionk and Stanley performed first, for many, it was already a terrible decision to acquire these guys

It was and is still a bad trade up for Stanley. Pionk has more than proven himself.

Trading up in the 1st round and including a second is an awful deal for a third pairing sheltered dman.

Stanley has shown so far he might have more, and if he can indeed become a good middle pairing dman and we get him long term it is worth it. He's on the upswing, and as someone who shit on the trade when it was made, I'm much more hopeful now, but it's not some slam dunk. If he becomes a top 4 dman, the trade up will be worth it. If he doesn't, it isn't. Simple as that.

Let's not ignore the fact DeBrincat and Sam Girard went not long after our second rounder we did not have and both are much better players now than Stanley.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It’s great that we have more qualified hockey scouts posting on HFBoards Jets forums than the Winnipeg Jets franchise LMAO!

I mean, I think almost all draft picks suck (not NHL ready) and then improve, no?

:laugh: true (and again I personally didn't know much about him at the time) but IIRC he was pretty universally thought of as a reach by the analysts, press, pre-draft reports, etc., and then continued to be relatively unimpressive the next couple seasons
Even now he's not really looking like an 18-overall pick

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It was and is still a bad trade up for Stanley. Pionk has more than proven himself.

Trading up in the 1st round and including a second is an awful deal for a third pairing sheltered dman.

Stanley has shown so far he might have more, and if he can indeed become a good middle pairing dman and we get him long term it is worth it. He's on the upswing, and as someone who shit on the trade when it was made, I'm much more hopeful now, but it's not some slam dunk. If he becomes a top 4 dman, the trade up will be worth it. If he doesn't, it isn't. Simple as that.

Let's not ignore the fact DeBrincat and Sam Girard went not long after our second rounder we did not have and both are much better players now than Stanley.
Everyone really bombed on scouting Girard...

Reactions: MardyBum

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Everyone really bombed on scouting Girard...

Eh, happens to every team every year. But you always want more kicks at the can, so trading up for a player is always going to have more heat on it. Especially when it's a high second. Those 4th and 5th's etc we throw away for scrubs that do nothing are always another chance.

But yeah, Girard was too small to be a good NHL player. Small players bad.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Eh, happens to every team every year. But you always want more kicks at the can, so trading up for a player is always going to have more heat on it. Especially when it's a high second. Those 4th and 5th's etc we throw away for scrubs that do nothing are always another chance.

But yeah, Girard was too small to be a good NHL player. Small players bad.
That trade was more about the departure in scouting - there were still some good D left beyond Stanley and we could have picked two and gambled - seemed like a panic move based on the influence of one side of our scouting team... very different from the usual Jets strategy

that being said I would start the season with Stanley paired with Pionk

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That trade was more about the departure in scouting - there were still some good D left beyond Stanley and we could have picked two and gambled - seemed like a panic move based on the influence of one side of our scouting team... very different from the usual Jets strategy

I know there has been some speculation about this but nothing close to anyone with any actual information unless you have a source?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

ill throw out some ridiculousness here…. Stanley on the PP…. The PP really hasn’t had the booming blue line bomb that spreads out the defensive coverage because Pionk/Moe don’t have it.

Stanley is a decent passer.. I’d like to see it in preseason

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
:laugh: true (and again I personally didn't know much about him at the time) but IIRC he was pretty universally thought of as a reach by the analysts, press, pre-draft reports, etc., and then continued to be relatively unimpressive the next couple seasons
I don’t think he was universally considered a reach anywhere except HFJets and I’m willing to bet 95% of the people here that hated Stanley knew nothing about him, it was mostly one poster that really didn’t like him and at the time that poster pretty much could have told people here that the sky was purple and they would have believed.

Edit: I should add I agree he was a reach at 18, but most here said they wouldn’t even take him before the 4th round.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I think it was expected at the time that he was going to be a longer term developmental prospect and defencemen generally take a bit more time to mature (Morrissey didn’t really play until he was also 22).

I dunno… I don’t think I would want to lose him before we see how he builds off of this year. On the other hand, RD is a team weakness so losing DD would hurt, while LD has our good prospects and the Jets probably don’t want Stanley and Heinola taking 2/3rds of that position next year.

I can see it going either way.

Reactions: jetsforever

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Well, you’re kinda saying exactly what I was trying to say back in 2016.

Stanley is showing he could become much more, and all I’m arguing is let’s give him the chance to show that.

Go back to the draft day thread and no one wanted to give him a chance.

He is a project, and I’m fine taking a gamble on a player like him especially after we already drafted at #2 overall in that draft. You can argue against the trade up, but the Jets obviously really liked him and figured he’d be taken before their pick. It’s a high price to pay, but I’m just saying we should give him a chance.

One of the reasons the Jets liked him is because of work ethic and huge growth in his game. And we’re seeing him drastically improve still. Hell, some people said Nelson Nogier was better than him at the beginning of this season, and look what he’s already grown into. I’m fine with the Jets betting on him.

And the DeBrincat/Girard mentions are a bit unfair given hindsight. The Jets could’ve just as easily have taken German Rubstov at 22 and Pascal Laberge at 36 (like the Flyers actually did).

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
:laugh: true (and again I personally didn't know much about him at the time) but IIRC he was pretty universally thought of as a reach ml by the analysts, press, pre-draft reports, etc., and then continued to be relatively unimpressive the next couple seasons
Not true. If someone watched his first AHL season he was pretty darn good. I watched a bunch of his games that year. Few people on here wanted to acknowledge it or were going by the concensus that he sucked. Which wasn’t true at all. Pascal even called it out a few times of his great play. Last year he was bad. I think he never got up to speed after being injured.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not true. If someone watched his first AHL season he was pretty darn good. I watched a bunch of his games that year. Few people on here wanted to acknowledge it or were going by the concensus that he sucked. Which wasn’t true at all. Pascal even called it out a few times of his great play. Last year he was bad. I think he never got up to speed after being injured.
Yep, as a rookie Stanley was given a huge role on the Moose and did very well. Not sure if it was just people stat watching, or if it was confirmation bias, but some (note: not all) people still thought he was garbage.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Yep, as a rookie Stanley was given a huge role on the Moose and did very well. Not sure if it was just people stat watching, or if it was confirmation bias, but some (note: not all) people still thought he was garbage.
Yep people just going with what a few said and running with it. Instead of watching. A few posters watched a game here or there and then commented he was getting beat wide. Therefore his skating sucked and he’ll never make it. I watched atleast 30 of his games and I rarely saw it. Also the best in the NHL get beat wide. There’s some great skaters in the Ahl too so going to happen.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
My ideal lineup would be something like...

Connor - Scheif - Wheeler
Perfetti - Dubois - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Appleton
Vesalainen - Gustafsson - Harkins

Morrissey - (insert acquisition here)
Samberg - Pionk
Stanley - DeMelo
With Heinola splitting duties with Samberg as we rotate guys around.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Copp - Lowry - Appleton

Samberg - Pionk
Stanley - DeMelo
Who do we lose to Seattle?

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg

Copp - Lowry - Appleton

Samberg - Pionk
Stanley - DeMelo

I like the rotation, but I'm thinking Appleton will be gone unfortunately.

Copp - Lowry - Ho-Sang

Morrissey - Pionk
Suter - Larsson
Stanley - Demelo

Thoughts? Or just plain horrible.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Copp - Lowry - Ho-Sang

Morrissey - Pionk
Suter - Larsson
Stanley - Demelo

I have a hard time seeing Maurice throw Ho-Sang on the shut down line, if the Jets were to sign him. I like the idea of getting some more skill on RW though, even if they look at someone other than Ho-Sang. That defence looks vastly improved from last seasons, I'd be overjoyed if Chevy could land an additional two legitimate top 4 guys to the squad.

Reactions: jetsforever

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Realistic look for next season:
Perfetti - Scheifele - Wheeler (Shelter Perfetti with two veterans)
Connor - Dubois - Ehlers
Vesalainen - Lowry - Armia
Perreault - Gustafsson - Lewis

Morrissey - Pionk
Heinola - Larsson
Stanley - Demelo

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Copp - Lowry - Ho-Sang

Morrissey - Pionk
Suter - Larsson
Stanley - Demelo

Likely better than what we'll actually have

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Connor - Dubois - Ehlers

Morrissey - Pionk
Heinola - Larsson
Stanley - Demelo

This lineup is likely 12M+ under the cap

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well, you’re kinda saying exactly what I was trying to say back in 2016.

Stanley is showing he could become much more, and all I’m arguing is let’s give him the chance to show that.

Go back to the draft day thread and no one wanted to give him a chance.

He is a project, and I’m fine taking a gamble on a player like him especially after we already drafted at #2 overall in that draft. You can argue against the trade up, but the Jets obviously really liked him and figured he’d be taken before their pick. It’s a high price to pay, but I’m just saying we should give him a chance.

One of the reasons the Jets liked him is because of work ethic and huge growth in his game. And we’re seeing him drastically improve still. Hell, some people said Nelson Nogier was better than him at the beginning of this season, and look what he’s already grown into. I’m fine with the Jets betting on him.

And the DeBrincat/Girard mentions are a bit unfair given hindsight. The Jets could’ve just as easily have taken German Rubstov at 22 and Pascal Laberge at 36 (like the Flyers actually did).

DeBrincat-Girard-Fox

people keep forgetting that this seasons Norris Trophy winner was passed over until the 3rd round in 2016 because of size and skating I assume.

Either way there is always a “survivorship bias” when looking back on drafts. We took Nic Petan and he didn’t work out so you win some a d loose some on the small skilled guys. Same as the next Chara scouts take their shot on Oversized prototypes as well and they can flop too.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Connor - Dubois - Ehlers

Morrissey - Pionk
Heinola - Larsson
Stanley - Demelo
Landing Larsson and Armia would be nearly ideal. It fills the glaring holes that we don't have prospects for. We can always upgrade later if the skill is underwhelming - but I don't think it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: GumbyCan2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad