Line Combos: Roster Finalized as Training Camp Ends

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I wanted Rielly with Phaneuf all last season, even with Dion switching sides I would still like it - I think the whole concept of first pairing, not pushing a rookie onto first pairing is all bs. Rielly wants to step up and I am confident he can play adequately - meaningful minutes on higher pairings will only help his development, Hedman is a good example.

I think trying Gardiner or Rielly up top with Dion is a great idea

Jun 27, 2005
C T.Bozak (23-27)

Career: 296gms, 72gls, 183pts, 481ht, 162bk, 52.5fo%, 46.4cf%, -15.2corsi, -9.3qot, -0.01qoc, 15:23es, 1:19sh, 2:58pp, 19:39tot
82 Game Pace: 20gls, 51pts, 133ht, 45bk, 52.5fo%, 46.4cf%, -4.2corsi, -2.6qot, -0.0qoc, 15:23es, 1:19sh, 2:58pp, 19:39tot

bozak has been a solid all around all situations 2nd line C for his career so far. solid player. (his corsi lags a bit but i think by now everyone realizes there's a teamwide systems issue exaggerating this right now).

if last year was him takimg it to a new level, that would be cool. i'm not expecting it, though.

This is nonsense. If Bosak puts up second line numbers playing with Kessel and JVR then what kind of numbers would he put up playing on a second line? Exactly, he's a third liner at best.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is nonsense. If Bosak puts up second line numbers playing with Kessel and JVR then what kind of numbers would he put up playing on a second line? Exactly, he's a third liner at best.

50pts isn't just second line production, but good second line production. even if you knock him down 20% to 40pts for the kessel effect, that's still second line production.

but that's also kind of silly to do because a) he played with kessel even when kessel wasn't a ppg force, and b) he's not the only player in hockey to play with good players.

Jun 27, 2005
50pts isn't just second line production, but good second line production. even if you knock him down 20% to 40pts for the kessel effect, that's still second line production.

but that's also kind of silly to do because a) he played with kessel even when kessel wasn't a ppg force, and b) he's not the only player in hockey to play with good players.

He get's second line numbers playing on the first line. That says it all.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He get's second line numbers playing on the first line. That says it all.

if he had first line numbers on the first line, he'd be a first liner.

of course, last year he did have first line numbers. even over the last two years, he's been at a 60pt pace, which is first line production since he passed 25yrs of age.

you look at a guy like kunitz who has spent all his time on lines with getzlaf and crosby, and he's produced at a 50-odd point pace. he's not a first liner, but he's not a third liner, either.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Franson On LTIR, Bodie Recalled, Percy Demoted(For Now)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike...Bodie-Recalled-Percy-DemotedFor-Now/120/62849

In addition to forwards Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren and defenseman Korbinian Holzer clearing waivers on Tuesday, the Leafs did a bit of necessary cap influenced roster shuffling by placing Franson on the long-term injury list, demoting rookie Stuart Percy and recalling forward Troy Bodie.

Percy will be brought back up to make his first NHL start against the Habs, but once Franson is able to suit up, it is uncertain whether the Leafs hierarchy will want the 21-year-old defenseman watching games from the press box or playing major minutes with the Marlies.

For Wednesday at least, the rookie defenseman worked with Dion Phaneuf on the first power play unit at practice and was paired with veterans Roman Polak and Stephane Robidas during 5-on-5 drills as head coach Randy Carlyle looks for the best combinations for the home opener.

While many popped champagne corks at the demise of the enforcer in Toronto, the recall of Bodie should be an indicator that Colton Orr and possibly Frazer McLaren will make appearances when needed this season.

The 6’5” 220lb Bodie played well as an energy forward last season, scoring 10 points in 47 games, dropping the gloves when needed and hitting everything in sight.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
ya know, i'd rather give a kid who dominated the ahl like holland a shot at the top six. or maybe a guy who has produced at 40-50pt paces a couple of times like santo a shot.

and gritty sam carrick had a great camp, as good as anything leivo or kozun did.

wouldn't mind seeing something like this in the end:

Vanryk - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Holland/Santo
Booth - Holland/Santo - Clarkson
Komo - Carrick - Winnik

I would go with this. Think Holland and Santo will be battling all year long with each other for spots.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I wanted Rielly with Phaneuf all last season, even with Dion switching sides I would still like it - I think the whole concept of first pairing, not pushing a rookie onto first pairing is all bs. Rielly wants to step up and I am confident he can play adequately - meaningful minutes on higher pairings will only help his development, Hedman is a good example.

I think trying Gardiner or Rielly up top with Dion is a great idea

Holzer disagrees. Why not take it steady one step at a time? It might help lower the numbers on the contract after the ELC wears off.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
No. The Leafs should always be a cap team no matter how poorly they do.

The question about the cap should revolve around which players are on long term deals.

Every season, the team should be looking to fill depth because they can, its what we all pay for (more specifically the season ticket holders), but they need to be careful about long term deals the same as everyone else.

Exactly - cap is a resource and wasting significant amounts of it is foolish. Some of the smart uses of cap Leafs made this summer:

- Franson 1-year deal. Could have not bothered qualifying him and let him walk for nothing, now have the potential to trade him for a third or maybe even a second. $3M of cap space that wouldn't have been used anyway for an early round draft pick.
- Reimer - 2 year deal, but otherwise similar to Franson. If he plays well, will even strengthen Leafs' bargaining position with Bernier next summer.
- Gardiner - pay now to save later deal that should allow for a bit more cap room three years down the road in case we're actually a good team that needs to squeeze in a lot of good players under the cap.
- Reclamation project signings - allows us to audition a bunch of NHL level guys for a year. We could easily have one or two of those guys really prove they can play a valuable role for the team and so we strengthen our bottom 6 longer term.

Every one of these moves makes more sense than simply leaving a bunch of cap space so we can say our cap is in line with our position in the standings.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Franson on LTIR? Wasn't he skating today? LTIR is like 10 games or a number of days(24?), and don't they need a doctor to say he's out that long? I didn't think he would be out that long? Maybe they meant IR?

If Franson had to go on (LT)IR, then why did they have to send Percy down? Franson IR put them at 22, enough to bring Bodie up, and if they plan on playing Percy which they do obvious with the Franson IR then this makes no sense at all.

edit: looking at twitter it's IR that Franson is on, not LTIR, but I still don't quite get why they had to send Percy down to bring Bodie up, Percy has to come back so if they really wanted a 22 man roster, then why not demote right away whoever they plan on sending down tomorrow when the bring Percy back.

And why'd they cut Bodie with like a week left in camp to bring him back now?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Franson on LTIR? Wasn't he skating today? LTIR is like 10 games or a number of days(24?), and don't they need a doctor to say he's out that long? I didn't think he would be out that long? Maybe they meant IR?

If Franson had to go on (LT)IR, then why did they have to send Percy down? Franson IR put them at 22, enough to bring Bodie up, and if they plan on playing Percy which they do obvious with the Franson IR then this makes no sense at all.

edit: looking at twitter it's IR that Franson is on, not LTIR, but I still don't quite get why they had to send Percy down to bring Bodie up, Percy has to come back so if they really wanted a 22 man roster, then why not demote right away whoever they plan on sending down tomorrow when the bring Percy back.

I think thats a typo..should read Booth. Its HockeyBuzz nobody proofs their work.

"In addition to forwards Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren and defenseman Korbinian Holzer clearing waivers on Tuesday, the Leafs did a bit of necessary cap influenced roster shuffling by placing Franson on the -long term injury list, demoting rookie Stuart Percy and recalling forward Troy Bodie." DUUHHHHRRP

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Put Komarov on the 2nd line. He will have a bigger impact on that line than any other player we would plug in there.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov - Kadri - Lupul
Winnik - Santorelli - Kozun
Leivo - Holland - Frattin
Clarkson

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Holzer disagrees. Why not take it steady one step at a time? It might help lower the numbers on the contract after the ELC wears off.

Please tell me you're not comparing Morgan Rielly to Korbinian Holzer :laugh:

Rielly is a much better player than Holzer will ever be and just because Holzer couldn't hack it, doesn't mean Rielly won't be able to at all.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Put Komarov on the 2nd line. He will have a bigger impact on that line than any other player we would plug in there.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov - Kadri - Lupul
Winnik - Santorelli - Kozun
Leivo - Holland - Frattin
Clarkson

I think you give Kozun and Leivo, who are both more offensively gifted then Leo a trial run there first. After that Leo should be next in line.

Randy did a poor job of taking advantage of Komarovs offense last time he was here. Hes going to have better linemates and presumably more mins this go around

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
This is what is listed as the roster on leafs.com right now

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kozun
Komarov - Holland - Clarkson
McLaren - Santorelli - Frattin/Ashton

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Robidas - Rielly
Polak - Loov

Bernier
Reimer

Extras

Winnik
Leivo

Injuries
Booth
Franson

I'm not too sure on positions, or pairings/lines, it was just a basic guess considering the roster. At least for the Habs game.

I'm sure the roster is being tweaked for various reasons (cap, etc) right now so take it with a grain of salt.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Bodie makes no sense to me.
Why would you recall him to play over Frattin and Ashton?
Seriously. Then why don't you just cut Ashton/Frattin because if you think you're going to get a draft pick for a player you deem can't even play over Bodie who you cut 2 weeks ago...what's the point.
Let the kid get on with his career somewhere else.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
No. The Leafs should always be a cap team no matter how poorly they do.

I have mixed feelings about this. I believe that when you overpay players they become harder to move and thus reduce cap flexibility. It is also harder to pay future players according to their real ability if they see lesser players paid more.

Reilly will want big bucks because that is how the Leafs pay their players even if they don't quite deserve it. He will rightfully compare himself to Gardiner. Kardi will also want to cash in.

IMO the team needs to pay the players based on what they really are, not based on what their counterpart on a cup contender would get.

I hope that was clear...it is a bit tricky to grasp what I mean I suspect.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Bodie makes no sense to me.
Why would you recall him to play over Frattin and Ashton?
Seriously. Then why don't you just cut Ashton/Frattin because if you think you're going to get a draft pick for a player you deem can't even play over Bodie who you cut 2 weeks ago...what's the point.
Let the kid get on with his career somewhere else.

I think he's going to be sent down again. Or Leivo will be sent down.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
This is what is listed as the roster on leafs.com right now

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kozun
Komarov - Holland - Clarkson
McLaren - Santorelli - Frattin/Ashton

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Robidas - Rielly
Polak - Loov

Bernier
Reimer

Extras

Winnik
Leivo

Injuries
Booth
Franson

I'm not too sure on positions, or pairings/lines, it was just a basic guess considering the roster. At least for the Habs game.

I'm sure the roster is being tweaked for various reasons (cap, etc) right now so take it with a grain of salt.

lol well considering Loov and Mclaren have already been sent down, I'll take it with less then a grain of salt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad