Line Combos: Roster Finalized as Training Camp Ends

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With training camp over, we can move back to discussing line combinations for those players who made the cut.

Opening night line up appears to be:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kozun
Komarov - Santorelli - Clarkson
Winnik - Holland - Frattin
Ashton

Phaneuf - Robidas
Gardiner - Rielly
Percy - Polak

Leivo and Franson are day-to-day with injuries

Booth on the LTIR

My understanding is the Leafs will have to make 1 more roster move today at some point since they're 1 player over? Can someone confirm?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My understanding is the Leafs will have to make 1 more roster move today at some point since they're 1 player over? Can someone confirm?

They are going down to a 22 player roster before Wednesday as per Cox and a few other analysts/insiders.

I think they'll simply send down Leivo for the time being. He needs to play to keep developing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nonis said they will be at 22 bodies by Wednesday.

So either there is a trade coming (Ashton) or Leivo will be sent down

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / Brandon Kozun ($0.550m)
Leo Komarov ($2.950m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.300m) / Peter Holland ($0.775m) / Matt Frattin ($0.800m)
Carter Ashton ($0.851m) / Josh Leivo ($0.793m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.000m)
Jake Gardiner ($4.050m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m)
Roman Polak ($2.750m) / Stuart Percy ($0.863m)
Cody Franson ($3.300m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($2.300m)

BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
Tim Gleason ($0.833m)

BURIED
Petri Kontiola ($0.175m)

LTIR
David Booth ($1.100m)

RETAINED SALARIES (0.29% of upper limit)
Carl Gunnarsson ($0.200m—6.35%)

BONUS OVERAGE
$512,500
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,146,333; BONUSES: $1,195,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $853,667

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
If Booth is on LTIR then they don't need to send someone down to make it to 23-players.

They could just wait and keep Leivo/Ashton on the roster at 23-players and then demote whichever of Frattin/Leivo/Ashton is the most expendable when Booth is ready to return.

I'm not sure why they would want to go with a 22-man roster instead...

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If Booth is on LTIR then they don't need to send someone down to make it to 23-players.

They could just wait and keep Leivo/Ashton on the roster at 23-players and then demote whichever of Frattin/Leivo/Ashton is the most expendable when Booth is ready to return.

At the current 23-man roster. We have just shy of 500k in cap space for the year. Carrying one less player in the press box gives more breathing room, and since the Marlies are always close, and Orr/McLaren aren't going to be the extra, we don't really need that many guys on hand.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

Why do you think that Booth will be any better than the guys you just mentioned?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

because we finally have a capologist worth a damn who knows that there's no reason to keep a 23rd player as a second backup forward, when all he does is eat up a million in capspace.

CalgaryLeaf*

because we finally have a capologist worth a damn who knows that there's no reason to keep a 23rd player as a second backup forward, when all he does is eat up a million in capspace.

And your farm team is in the same city. That backup forward is a phone call away.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
ya know, i'd rather give a kid who dominated the ahl like holland a shot at the top six. or maybe a guy who has produced at 40-50pt paces a couple of times like santo a shot.

and gritty sam carrick had a great camp, as good as anything leivo or kozun did.

wouldn't mind seeing something like this in the end:

Vanryk - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Holland/Santo
Booth - Holland/Santo - Clarkson
Komo - Carrick - Winnik

CalgaryLeaf*

Any news on Henrik Tallender?...How long will he be out and will he be offered a contract?...I suspect that Tallender will be in the mix for that 6th-7th d-man spot when he heals up.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Any chance we get another right handed D before the season starts?

I don't have any confidence in Franson.

Percy looks good, but the cupboards are pretty bare after him.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Any news on Henrik Tallender?...How long will he be out and will he be offered a contract?...I suspect that Tallender will be in the mix for that 6th-7th d-man spot when he heals up.

he was released from his PTO

i suspect he will be in the mix for a new pair of golf clubs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

A dislocated shoulder probably means at least a couple weeks. Seems doubtful but probable if Franson is out for a longer period of time or if injuries start piling up.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Anybody else find it wild that we're a cap team?

No. The Leafs should always be a cap team no matter how poorly they do.

The question about the cap should revolve around which players are on long term deals.

Every season, the team should be looking to fill depth because they can, its what we all pay for (more specifically the season ticket holders), but they need to be careful about long term deals the same as everyone else.

CalgaryLeaf*

he was released from his PTO

i suspect he will be in the mix for a new pair of golf clubs

Because of the shoulder injury the Leafs are in a good bargaining position with Tallender. Teams won't be inquiring to sign him while he's injured and Tallender will likely give the Leafs the first shot...He may be a useful depth d-man in the future...I expect to see him in a Leafs uniform at some point this season unless another team needs a defenseman because of injuries.

Swayze*

No. The Leafs should always be a cap team no matter how poorly they do.

The question about the cap should revolve around which players are on long term deals.

Every season, the team should be looking to fill depth because they can, its what we all pay for (more specifically the season ticket holders), but they need to be careful about long term deals the same as everyone else.

Talking about the strength of our roster

Pretty poor for the money we spend

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
half the teams in the league are "cap teams", and no, that's not just the good half.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Any chance we get another right handed D before the season starts?

I don't have any confidence in Franson.

Percy looks good, but the cupboards are pretty bare after him.

Trade wise? I would think either Frattin/Ashton could be traded for depth barring an injury.

We are more comfortable with Robidas/Polak/Franson(sheltered minutes)

Prospect wise weak on RHD. Throwing a lefty into the mix 4 LHD and 2 RHD isn't ideal but can be worked with.

Granberg, Holzer, Nilsson could all get looks with injury. I like our D-core better this year the last, I think they'll be under-rated

People tend to count leafs prospects out, I think Percy has a chance to really surprise this season. He has all the tools to become a Paul Martin type defenseman.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
So I am going to assume that because it is now noon, no one claimed the players we put on waivers? They are all assigned to the Marlies? (Orr, McLaren, Holzer)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

At this point, Percy appears to have cemented himself to that roster. They kept Loov from going to the SEL, and had Holzer clear waivers.

If anyone should be signing Tallinder, it'd be Buffalo for pooching his chances of landing a gig in Toronto.

I think Tallinder was insurance in case Robidas wasn't ready to return. The Leafs wanted a veteran presence to stabilize the backend.

With Robidas coming back fine, there's no need to have Tallinder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad