Roster & Fantasy GM Thread | 3 - Not Drouin Anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Sutter isn't a horrible player and shouldn't be waived. He's just very overpaid and not the type of player we should be spending futures on to acquire.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
There's no way i'd give Boedker that deal.

I'm not paying a guy who has yet to actually notch 20g in a season, $6M per, long term.

He's a good player, but he is what he is - with premium minutes, he's probably a ~20g, 50pt player...with lesser minutes, maybe a touch less than that. He's not a real difference maker, and he's not going to carry a scoring line. Not the kind of player i'd overpay for in Free Agency.

If we're throwing stupid money at UFA...Would much rather go completely over the top and spend that extra $1-2M over what i think Boedker is really "worth", on someone who can be a bigger factor. On top of whatever the acceptable top end on them is. If you're gonna hugely overtsker.

I do think Boedker is being underrated in this thread, but 6M is steep - absolutely. I feel the same as you do about Boedker regarding Lucic. Personally I think 5 x 6M would be still be a slight overpayment for Okposo, but he is the only winger of the player's listed I would be comfortable signing that sort of a deal to.

As you mentioned RH shot - yes, age might diminish game but he's still relatively young (27 turning 28 in April). A 5 year deal would take him to 33 which would be right around the time it would be prudent to cut ties.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I do think Boedker is being underrated in this thread, but 6M is steep - absolutely. I feel the same as you do about Boedker regarding Lucic. Personally I think 5 x 6M would be still be a slight overpayment for Okposo, but he is the only winger of the player's listed I would be comfortable signing that sort of a deal to.

As you mentioned RH shot - yes, age might diminish game but he's still relatively young (27 turning 28 in April). A 5 year deal would take him to 33 which would be right around the time it would be prudent to cut ties.

His advanced metrics suggest he's being overrated by you and some others. He's a solid 2nd line forward though. I'd have a hard time paying him much more than $4M.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
His advanced metrics suggest he's being overrated by you and some others. He's a solid 2nd line forward though. I'd have a hard time paying him much more than $4M.

I did say 6M is steep, and have not made him out to be anything more than that.

And again - the two targets I think the Canucks should pursue are Okposo (would go up to 6M) and Demers (I like 5.5, but realistically he'll probably sign for 6M aas well).

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Okposo
Burrows - McCann - Virtanen
Etem - Sutter - Dorsett
Vey / Gaunce or Shinkaruk

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Demers
Sbisa - Biega
Tryamkin or Pedan

Markstrom
Miller

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

And again - the two targets I think the Canucks should pursue are Okposo (would go up to 6M) and Demers (I like 5.5, but realistically he'll probably sign for 6M aas well).

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Etem - Sutter - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Demers
Sbisa - Biega
Tryamkin or Pedan

Markstrom
Miller

I actually like both targets. Okposo and Demers would be huge additions to the team.

I find it funny that we are paying $4.3M for the next 5 years for our 4C. I also wish there were some way to dump Hutton. But aside from that I don't mind this lineup too much. Would also find a way to dump Dorsett to make room for some more kids on that 4th line.

Splitting Hutton and Demers might make sense as both can play an offensive game. Edler would be good with Demers, and Tanev can help cover for Hutton.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Okposo would be perfect with the twins. Dream scenario for next season would be Okposo and Demers signing, Hamhuis for Bowey at the deadline, Vrbata for a 2nd, Sbisa for pucks and Rodin comes in a steals a job.

Sedin Sedin Okposo
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Rodin McCann Hansen
Etem Sutter Burrows
Dorsett

Edler Tanev
Hutton Demers
Bowey Biega
Pedan

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Those advanced metrics you speak of rely on linemates as well.

If you want to spend 4mil get ready to expect players like Perron, versteeg

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Okposo would be perfect with the twins. Dream scenario for next season would be Okposo and Demers signing, Hamhuis for Bowey at the deadline, Vrbata for a 2nd, Sbisa for pucks and Rodin comes in a steals a job.

Sedin Sedin Okposo
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Rodin McCann Hansen
Etem Sutter Burrows
Dorsett

Edler Tanev
Hutton Demers
Bowey Biega
Pedan

Yes, Okposo would be good with the Sedins imo. I like to spread the offence around but Okposo has generally produced well on the powerplay so could take Vrbata's spot as a 2nd line RW / 1st unit PP guy.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I actually like both targets. Okposo and Demers would be huge additions to the team.

I find it funny that we are paying $4.3M for the next 5 years for our 4C. I also wish there were some way to dump Hutton. But aside from that I don't mind this lineup too much. Would also find a way to drop Dorsett to make room for some more kids on that 4th line.

Splitting Hutton and Demers might make sense as both can play an offensive game. Edler would be good with Demers, and Tanev can help cover for Hutton.

I don't really think Sutter would be our 4C, more like a 3A or 3B. Bottom 3 lines would generally play about 13 each per night (well perhaps Etem and Dorsett playing a bit less, say 11 - 12) with Sutter playing more due to speciality teams.

Splitting Demers and Hutton has some merit and would prefer the team to drop Sbisa as well. Don't think that's realistic however (dropping Dorsett is definitely not). Who knows, perhaps Tryamkin plays extremely well when he comes over and the team finally fixes the Sbsia mistake.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Etem - Sutter - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Demers
Sbisa - Biega
Tryamkin or Pedan

Markstrom
Miller

I like it, I just think adding them keeps us pretty strapped to the max cap. I know miller will be off the following off season, but we do have Baertschi, Etem, and Vey to re sign and Horvat and Hutton to re-sign the year after and god knows what Jimbo will hand out to them. So my solution would be Burrows needs to be dealt, Draft deal potentially we can retain 50% as he would only have the remainder of that season left.

Then run with:

Sedin-Sedin-Okposo
Bae-Bo-Hansen
Etem-McCann-Shink
Dorsett-Sutter-Virtanen
Vey/Gaunce

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

I find it funny that we are paying $4.3M for the next 5 years for our 4C. I also wish there were some way to dump Hutton. But aside from that I don't mind this lineup too much. Would also find a way to dump Dorsett to make room for some more kids on that 4th line.

Okay, I'll bite. Why?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Canucks via Benning have said they aren't going to be active at the deadline. This is easier than admitting you do not have any portable players.

hes playing cards close to his vest. of course hes not gonna come out and say oh imma trade hamhuis and vrbata to lower their values. im 50/50 on weather hes gonna start selling earlier and have a bidding war for his assets. whichever contending team wants to get those ufas will need to pony up. if the nucks lose maybe 7 or 8 of the games at home. then benning should throw in the towel and start selling early.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Not down for Demers at 5.5m or Okposo at 6m. Good players but thats too much to pay them imo

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Would be nice if we could dump Sutter (I'd consider waiving him just to get rid of his contract, unless he's willing to waive his NTC), Burrows, and Dorsett. I'd look to get rid of Vey too and bring in a veteran 4C.

Sutter is overpaid but he's worth more than the 900k or whatever we'd save from waiving him. It would make no sense.

You think you can get solid 2nd liner UFAs for not "much more than 4M"? What year do you think this is?

I don't like overpaying UFAs either but sometimes you have to pay a little more 'cause it's worth it compared to not having that player at all. There's a difference between paying Sbisa 3.6 instead of 0.6 and Boeder 5.5 instead of 4.5.

Empty cap space won't win you a Stanley Cup and you'll have a tough time constructing a deep, competitive team without acquiring a quality free-agent or two unless you're just going to hope for all the BC boys to magically come together and take discounts.

EDIT: Not saying we should or shouldn't try to get Boeder, Byfuglien, Demers, etc., just talking about general UFA philosophy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Regarding Vey needing waivers again, you need to clear waivers again after playing 10 games or being up for 30 days. Couldn't they do a paper transaction that sent him down and then called him back-up to reset the clock on that? or does it not reset when he is sent down?

It's about the number of days/games on the NHL roster since last clearing waivers. Not since last being in the minors. So, no...a paper transaction won't get the job done.

Though with Vey, i doubt it really matters much. He's already cleared once this year, i'd imagine he likely clears again despite some slightly improved play since coming back up.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
I'd love for JB to target a guy like Dylan Mcilrath. Dude is huge, hits, stands up for his team mates, is young, RD, AND from reading the rangers board he is in AV's doghouse pretty hardcore right now.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'd love for JB to target a guy like Dylan Mcilrath. Dude is huge, hits, stands up for his team mates, is young, AND from reading the rangers board he is in AV's doghouse pretty hardcore right now.

Weird. I know our resident Rags fans were raving about him once he'd started establishing himself. I'm sure they won't complain if he makes his way over here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad