Line Combos: Roster Discussions

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The best play the most. 20 minutes a night for a top forward is nowhere near unrealistic.

But they are not the best, defensively. Actually CSW has been proven to be about the weakest line combination defensively. There is no excuse to (over) play just that line defending the lead in the late 3rd period.

Reactions: kelsier and hudster

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
But they are not the best, defensively. Actually CSW has been proven to be about the weakest line combination defensively. There is no excuse to (over) play just that line defending the lead in the late 3rd period.

Yeah, just finished watching the game with punch of friends and I remember telling just before the Preds' last goal that mg, why does he play the worst line of the game at the very last minutes and then boom. This is the usual P. Maurice, no matter how bad his vets play, it always gets overlooked and there seems no end to redemption. Costed the team the game and I doubt he learned anything.

Nevertheless, quite happy seeing Stastny next to Laine and Ehlers. Absolutely nothing like it used to look like with Little game in game out. Best part being that they didn't even need 40 games to click. Sort of relieving at the same time because now there's better picture of what Laine's and even Ehlers' seasons could have looked like if they had quality center between them. Still don't think they are the best partners on ice, but Stastny should be a big help regardless.

Reactions: hudster

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
matchups-2018-02-27-2017020974-NSHatWPG.png

Do you see a pattern here?

When Johansen's line was on the ice, Scheifele's went up against them. Johansen's line played a lot = so did Scheifele's.
When Turris' line was on the ice, Little's went up against them. Turris' line played a lot = Little's did too.

And before any of you come here and state your subjective claims about Laine and Ehlers being good defensively, please do realise that those two have been sheltered whenever possible (especially the former). If Maurice had any kind of confidence in their defensive play, this probably would not be a discussion. Yet it is.

Now, if you have issues with this kind of deployment, feel very free to apply for a coaching job and do something about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DashingDane

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Scheifs and Little also got their asses kicked big time. Little and Frenchy were a tire fire. Lets agree that PoMo is a genius.

Somehow you can convince yourself that vets were great even all are -2 or -3. Sometimes I feel that Jets should still be in the loop of losing and tanking.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017

When Johansen's line was on the ice, Scheifele's went up against them. Johansen's line played a lot = so did Scheifele's.
When Turris' line was on the ice, Little's went up against them. Turris' line played a lot = Little's did too.

And before any of you come here and state your subjective claims about Laine and Ehlers being good defensively, please do realise that those two have been sheltered whenever possible (especially the former). If Maurice had any kind of confidence in their defensive play, this probably would not be a discussion. Yet it is.

Now, if you have issues with this kind of deployment, feel very free to apply for a coaching job and do something about them.
And yet Scheifele played almost 3,5 Min. more then Johansen... just Saying...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
And yet Scheifele played almost 3,5 Min. more then Johansen... just Saying...
Here's a set of questions for you.

1) What is the consequence of icing the puck?
2) Is it right for you to leave your defensive zone during sustained pressure to get a change?
3) When someone dumps/carries the puck in deep and the rest of the players make a change during that, how often does the puck carrier get to the bench right after the rest of the pack?
4) If player X is 10 feet away from the bench and player Y is 60 feet away, what is the likelihood of them reaching the bench simultaneously?
5) How do special teams affect line matching, when we're discussing two top line centers?

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Special team.. Johansen PP 3,14.. sh. 0,20. Scheifele PP. 1,35.. sh. 0,47.. I agree that there are many reasons.. just Saying finally we have 3 Soon 4 great lines... why not Play them Better? Why Play your Best players to the ground Before playoff?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
People realize Lowry is hurt.....right?

It doesn't seem that way, just sayin'.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Special team.. Johansen PP 3,14.. sh. 0,20. Scheifele PP. 1,35.. sh. 0,47.. I agree that there are many reasons.. just Saying finally we have 3 Soon 4 great lines... why not Play them Better? Why Play your Best players to the ground Before playoff?
Because coming in the game, we had a plan (as every team should), and Maurice executed it all the way till the end. Heck, why would he not; we only trailed for two minutes or so.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Because coming in the game, we had a plan (as every team should), and Maurice executed it all the way till the end. Heck, why would he not; we only trailed for two minutes or so.
Up 5-3 with 9 to play fellas, let's switch gears and try something else, shall we?

Said no coach ever.

Reactions: Huffer

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything."

If your plan is to react only to the opponents lineup you'll end up giving the full control of your lineup to your opponent and also end up having unfavorable TOI distribution. If you don't react when your plan is working against you will be able to lose even those games you have a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period.

NHL coach should know better. Maurice is not maybe a successful NHL coach but at least he has enourmous amount of experience so he definitely should know better.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything."

If your plan is to react only to the opponents lineup you'll end up giving the full control of your lineup to your opponent and also end up having unfavorable TOI distribution. If you don't react when your plan is working against you will be able to lose even those games you have a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period.

NHL coach should know better. Maurice is not maybe a successful NHL coach but at least he has enourmous amount of experience so he definitely should know better.
When you have a 2 goal lead with 9 minutes to play, how is your plan working against you? I kind of like that planning personally, each to his own though.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
When you have a 2 goal lead with 9 minutes to play, how is your plan working against you? I kind of like that planning personally, each to his own though.

I thought you said you prefer not to discuss with me anymore, but:

When you from time to time stick to that plan that makes sure CSW line is defending the lead in the end and from time to time that is not working too well as those guys are not good defensively though they are great offensively. I'll give Maurice that often at least Connor is replaced by someone when playing those crucial minutes.

Sticking to something that is not working too well is a recurring pattern for PoMo (see ELL for example), so it's all quiet on the Western front.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Now, if you have issues with this kind of deployment, feel very free to apply for a coaching job and do something about it.

On the bolded....You don't always need to line match if your line is not up to it. You can change it up during the game. Most night Schiefele line might be on top so was little line. If the coach knew Little is maintaining something or under a weather. After that Josi goal, maybe it should have been changed up?

Preds came prepared on how they need to attack the Jets. Though both team sucked defensively as a team.

Josi settled his team down the last 5 mins. Jets were too excited . Josi was the game breaker.

Where do i put my application for the head coaching job :)
Kidding

Jets will bounce back. Team looks scary on paper and have proven it time and time again this year.
Some poster comes out of their cave and give #*$* on helly every 10th game he plays because he played poorly.
The all star goalie is is about to break all Jets season statistical records. And like lets put the other goalie :) No goalie plays the whole season lights out even the greats like Roy Hasek and Broeduer.

Why worry about just the goalie when the playoff comes. Worry about the whole team. Except for Buff nobody really here has experience winning in big game environment. Well maybe Laine ;)

Onwards to the next one.
I believe Jets will come out flying next game.

Go Jets Go

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

When you from time to time stick to that plan that makes sure CSW line is defending the lead in the end and from time to time that is not working too well as those guys are not good defensively though they are great offensively. I'll give Maurice that often at least Connor is replaced by someone when playing those crucial minutes.

Sticking to something that is not working too well is a recurring pattern for PoMo (see ELL for example), so it's all quiet on the Western front.

I'd prefer Lowry out there protecting a lead with Copp and Armia. But next best thing is Scheif and Wheels. Preferably with Morrow and Chiarot in the press box and Trouba out there with Mojo. The game would have been much different had we had our best defensive guys out there. But give me Scheif and Wheels over any other combo of guys we had that night to protect that lead. I think Myers and his lack of being able to move the puck even a foot in the right direction in the dzone deserves some heavy blame for last night. He was completely lost amongst Nashville's forecheck.

Reactions: Ducky10

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Remember guys

We are suppose to win the cup on 2019.
This is just the experience year ;)
:)

But it will be nice to have it back to back :)

we lost by one after a miraculous comeback and our goalie might have had his worst game of the season. Not to mention we were missing Lowry, Trouba, and Enstrom. I'm not afraid of the preds, we can do it.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

How many leads at the end of games has that line cost us? You're also placing the blame directly on them without any regard to any others on the ice and with absolutely no evidence that any other line would have netted a different result in that exact situation. It's second guessing at the highest level. The game was managed fine for well over 2/3rds, you have an issue with less than 1/3rd but now want to blame the whole thing.

Yes, you're correct I said I didn't care to discuss with you, I'm out.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
On the bolded....You don't always need to line match if your line is not up to it. You can change it up during the game. Most night Schiefele line might be on top so was little line. If the coach knew Little is maintaining something or under a weather. After that Josi goal, maybe it should have been changed up?

Preds came prepared on how they need to attack the Jets. Though both team sucked defensively as a team.

Josi settled his team down the last 5 mins. Jets were too excited . Josi was the game breaker.

Where do i put my application for the head coaching job :)
Kidding

Jets will bounce back. Team looks scary on paper and have proven it time and time again this year.
Some poster comes out of their cave and give #*$* on helly every 10th game he plays because he played poorly.
The all star goalie is is about to break all Jets season statistical records. And like lets put the other goalie :) No goalie plays the whole season lights out even the greats like Roy Hasek and Broeduer.

Why worry about just the goalie when the playoff comes. Worry about the whole team. Except for Buff nobody really here has experience winning in big game environment. Well maybe Laine ;)

Onwards to the next one.
I believe Jets will come out flying next game.

Go Jets Go
I cannot recall Maurice having shuffled the matchups too much this year. Sometimes he has switched the top two matchups around, but aside from that, I can't recall much more.

The thing is, however, that we are now sixty games into the season, and Maurice has avoided putting Laine on any line that gets tough matchups. That's right; if it is up to him, Laine receives as much sheltering as possible.

ELL was sheltered by Scheifele and Lowry, who always took on the top two lines of the opposition. When Lowry went down, Copp took over. When Scheifele got injured, Laine was taken off the Little line, and PLE became the first line that sheltered Laine, Wheeler and Connor. When Scheifele came back, Laine was quickly dropped from his line. The common denominator here is that no matter what, Maurice has made it sure that there are always two lines without Laine in them to do the heavy lifting. To a lesser extent, Ehlers has gone through similar treatment.

Why would Maurice suddenly make a 180 mid-game? It is quite evident that he does not trust Laine's two-way game enough to have him in a bigger role.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Yo

You'd never know it reading some of these comments :shakehead
What comments make you believe that? I just See a patern here.. if people have a slight different opinion. I guess its not okay to criticize how the coach run the lines... Ohh well :)

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I cannot recall Maurice having shuffled the matchups too much this year. Sometimes he has switched the top two matchups around, but aside from that, I can't recall much more.

The thing is, however, that we are now sixty games into the season, and Maurice has avoided putting Laine on any line that gets tough matchups. That's right; if it is up to him, Laine receives as much sheltering as possible.

ELL was sheltered by Scheifele and Lowry, who always took on the top two lines of the opposition. When Lowry went down, Copp took over. When Scheifele got injured, Laine was taken off the Little line, and PLE became the first line that sheltered Laine, Wheeler and Connor. When Scheifele came back, Laine was quickly dropped from his line. The common denominator here is that no matter what, Maurice has made it sure that there are always two lines without Laine in them to do the heavy lifting. To a lesser extent, Ehlers has gone through similar treatment.

Why would Maurice suddenly make a 180 mid-game? It is quite evident that he does not trust Laine's two-way game enough to have him in a bigger role.

Maybe he doesnt trust laine and ehlers.
Or maybe he is just really like to deploy the 4 vets more against the other tough teams.
Schiefele Wheeler
Little Perrault

I understand (the logic) it as its always easier to deploy experience players vs. Using Teenager. Not many teenagers can match up against other veteran top lines. Physically and mentally.

But i think Laine is capable. Other teams would probably have him out there against top lines if he was playing for a middle or weaker teams.
Jeta have the luxury not to force it yet by having those 4 guys.But time will come , i believe sooner , that Laine will be all situational player.
I agree to split laine and ehler away from those 4 vets and found them a capable center. It will be goos experience for them to carry out their own line. So far its all good.

In the end it will be beneficial for the whole team. Having 2 monster line and 2 shutdown line.

I just hope sometimes Maurice can have the guts (situational) to let the kids handle it when they are feeling it just like last night when the vets are off. Im talking about the minutes .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad