Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If he scores at a 60 point clip for 4 years in a row, I could easily see a team giving him 5-6 years

Is it likely he scores at a 60 point rate four years in a row after doing it only once in seven years and needing absolutely ideal circumstances to do it? If he finds his way off one of the top two lines for whatever reason (poor play, injury, good play from someone else) he's likely straight back to the 30 point range since I highly doubt he's going to be on PP1 much at all.

He's done it once with a line with a higher sh% that Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid/Kucherov have ever had getting huge ice time. This does not seem like something that is likely to continue. If he is the C2 on Panarin's line next year my expectation is somewhere between 45 and 55 points.

What happens when we sign Strome because he works with Panarin and suddenly he's off the good line like what happened with Sheary? Or what already has happened someone with Kassian? Just like that those guys have their production tank and their deals look bad. Haven't we already seen this exact thing happen with Anisimov? He signed a decent deal (4.55 x 5) after one good year with Kane/Panarin, had another good year after, then he stopped playing with those guys and now the deal looks bad.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'd do 5x2. Ive said I'd do 5.5 x 2. But I dont think its a good idea to sign him for longer than two years.
I'm no agent but I think that would be fair and if Strome is truly happy here he knows he's gonna put up some terrific numbers with Panarin over the next couple years. He's gonna grab another nice contract after those two years. On the other hand if some dumb gm out there wants to hand over 6.5x6 years then I guess we move on.

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That’s possible, but as a rule of thumb, I always bet on the player following the money.
Whenever a player says "It's not about the money", it's always about the money.

I completely understand the sentiment, I just feel like he realizes he can do more here and still hit the UFS market at a fairly young age. Plus, he probably realizes that playing with Panarin for a few more years will only help his UFA value later.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm no agent but I think that would be fair and if Strome is truly happy here he knows he's gonna put up some terrific numbers with Panarin over the next couple years. He's gonna grab another nice contract after those two years. On the other hand if some dumb gm out there wants to hand over 6.5x6 years then I guess we move on.
I'd feel better about a more substantial contract for Strome if he does this more than just this season and Chytil still hasnt pushed him out of 2C.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome at 1 or 2 years is somewhat acceptable provided it will not cause issues with extending other players (like DeAngelo) however it likely will. I don't know why he'd take 2 years though he'd be better off just going to arbitration for a 1 year deal.
This is why I believe that Buchnevich will be the odd man out when the musical chairs stop.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think Chytil has paid his dues. Either next year or 2021-22, he’s the #2C. He did the work in the AHL, he did the work in the NHL. He was on pace for 32 points this year, almost all of them 5v5, playing mostly #3C with inferior players. He’s trending up. Terrific awareness in all 3 zones. I don’t like penciling in prospects into the top-6 but he’s done the work and earned his chance for either 2020-21 or 2021-22.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think Chytil has paid his dues. Either next year or 2021-22, he’s the #2C. He did the work in the AHL, he did the work in the NHL. He was on pace for 32 points this year, almost all of them 5v5, playing mostly #3C with inferior players. He’s trending up. Terrific awareness in all 3 zones. I don’t like penciling in prospects into the top-6 but he’s done the work and earned his chance for either 2020-21 or 2021-22.

I think we need to trade for a 2C/3C option or just admit that it's a weakness that will be dealt with in the future. There's absolutely nothing out there in FA. Problem is there's not much in FA either. There could be Bozak if STL needs to clear salary for Pietrangelo (trade board was talking about him for a mid round pick). He's not great or anything but he has a history of performing well with good players. 5M for one year but it's not the same as just signing Strome to that since you also get the asset(s) for Strome, there's no long term commitment, and they can retain if desired. There's Filppula who would help with depth from DET. There's the whole Dylan Strome thing depending on what his contract asks are. Honestly, it's pretty bad out there in general. Mikko koivu would be a very nice depth option as a UFA but I don't think he wants to leave MIN so I don't consider that a possibility (and if he did I would assume it's to chase a cup).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think we need to trade for a 2C/3C option or just admit that it's a weakness that will be dealt with in the future. There's absolutely nothing out there in FA. Problem is there's not much in FA either. There could be Bozak if STL needs to clear salary for Pietrangelo (trade board was talking about him for a mid round pick). He's not great or anything but he has a history of performing well with good players. 5M for one year but it's not the same as just signing Strome to that since you also get the asset(s) for Strome, there's no long term commitment, and they can retain if desired. There's Filppula who would help with depth from DET. There's the whole Dylan Strome thing depending on what his contract asks are. Honestly, it's pretty bad out there in general.
I’m interested in Johan Larsson for #3C. He’s great defensively and on the PK, and he won’t be expensive at all as a UFA. 27-years-old, currently makes $1.55M. Checks all the boxes for me. The catch is he doesn't produce any offense but that's why he'll be cheap. Probably itching to get out of Buffalo.

upload_2020-4-28_16-56-31.png

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I’m interested in Johan Larsson for #3C. He’s great defensively and on the PK, and he won’t be expensive at all as a UFA. 27-years-old. Checks all the boxes for me.

He's fine. I think we need to bring in several guys like that if possible. Guys who aren't great but the depth is really lacking so if you can at least bring in these moderately competent guys it's better than what we have now. There's nobody there that provides offense if Chytil/Zibanejad get hurt but it is what it is and as I've said I think several guys could fill in just fine with Panarin. I like Janmark too but he hasn't really played center in the last two years so not sure if he's considering only a W now.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He's fine. I think we need to bring in several guys like that if possible. Guys who aren't great but the depth is really lacking so if you can at least bring in these moderately competent guys it's better than what we have now. There's nobody there that provides offense if Chytil/Zibanejad get hurt but it is what it is and as I've said I think several guys could fill in just fine with Panarin. I like Janmark too but he hasn't really played center in the last two years so not sure if he's considering only a W now.
My concern with the bottom-6 is not just offensively but defensively. I can live with the top-6 providing all the offense as long as the bottom-6 isn’t spending every night glued to their own zone.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
My concern with the bottom-6 is not just offensively but defensively. I can live with the top-6 providing all the offense as long as the bottom-6 isn’t spending every night glued to their own zone.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that as long as Brett Howden is getting regular minutes in the bottom six and not severely limited minutes the bottom six may end up disastrous defensively.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Re-signing Strome requires one of Lundqvist/Smith/Staal being bought out, correct? If they re-sign Lemieux, DeAngelo, Georgiev, and Di Giuseppe, I don't think that leaves enough space for Strome.

upload_2020-4-28_17-37-12.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad