Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
3 years would be UFA at 29. I would imagine at that time the cap will be increasing as well with the new TV deal and he will have more than likely been playing with Panarin for 4 years, plenty of track record to get a big pay day from someone if desired. I could see a 3 year reasonable deal being attractive to him and the Rangers as it would give them some continuity on Panarin's line for what would hopefully be a reasonable contract.
His birthday is a week after July 1st so he’d be 30 for all intents and purposes. That’s going to make teams more reluctant to pay him.

Reactions: egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We traded Spooner for Strome - anyone that "hates" Strome isn't taking into account how little it cost to get him, what he's produced since he's been here, and what he's worth now. Among Gorton's best moves since his tenure began as a GM.
and his overtime goal against pitt got us Kakko I believe ;)

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Back to "anyone can do it"?

What people are also choosing to conveniently ignore is that Panarin was on pace to shatter all of his own personal best numbers. I am not saying that it was all due to Strome, but to completely dismiss any effect that Strome may have had is silly.

With Panarin, Strome was essentially a 70 point player. I know that is not who he really is, but right now I fell a lot more comfortable with him reaching those numbers than Chytil. Why would I want to rock the boat and overpay another player to come and try to replicate?
OK, but Panarin had a better team and system all around to work with. Strome isnt the only factor.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1. I’m not convinced they’re going to replicate their seasons anyway. Their on-ice shooting percentage was very high this year.

2. I don’t think anyone can do it, I think Chytil can do it. Not Howden, not McKegg.

The guy is making over $11.5M a year. He can carry his own line.
1. One way or another, Strome has been producing at a high level ever since he arrived on the scene in NY.

2. The higher shooting percentages could be attributed to many things besides good luck. Playing with better players in better situations, making better decisions with the puck, etc.

3. We all hope that Chytil can do it. But as of now he has not shown that he is remotely close to being that type of player.

4. I think that you greatly underestimate what chemistry can do to a line. I am not saying that Panarin would suddenly become a much worse version of himself, but having a guy on his line who clearly has chemistry with him and knows what his role is and has no reason to be a hero has a lot of value.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
His market comps would need to take into account what he has done historically, not just what he has done when paired with a top-5 player.

I also believe that he is not going to want to take the chances and go UFA to see if he can get a better deal done somewhere else. He has finally found comfort in a coaching staff and a franchise. They have shown confidence with him. He gets to play with one of the best players in the league. I do not think he is out there seeking the last dollar as a UFA.
If he goes to arb and doesn't reach a deal prior to award, the award would be a one-year which we either take or he goes UFA. If we take it, hes UFA at the end of the next season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he goes to arb and doesn't reach a deal prior to award, the award would be a one-year which we either take or he goes UFA. If we take it, hes UFA at the end of the next season.
I get it, but my point is that I believe he does not go to arbitration and that a deal gets done before that.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Strome at 1 or 2 years is somewhat acceptable provided it will not cause issues with extending other players (like DeAngelo) however it likely will. I don't know why he'd take 2 years though he'd be better off just going to arbitration for a 1 year deal.

I wouldn't take Strome for 3+ years regardless of the AAV because that is the time frame when Zibanejad among others need to be signed.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm not the biggest Strome fan but its undeniable Panarin works great with him. Having said that i'm not giving strome anything over 5/5.5. 7 million? Please no.
Is he really gonna test the market for 7 million? Is some GM out there gonna give him that?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Strome at 1 or 2 years is somewhat acceptable provided it will not cause issues with extending other players (like DeAngelo) however it likely will.

I wouldn't take Strome for 3+ years regardless of the AAV because that is the time frame when Zibanejad among others need to be signed.
This is why I believe 1 or 2 years is the best for both parties. 1 is the best IMO.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If it’s favorable to the Rangers then it’s probably unfavorable to Strome. I don’t see $5M as the middle ground.
We will have to agree to disagree. I think that you are overlooking the whole "comfort" with a franchise after having his career in the toilet. Guess we shall see.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If he scores at a 60 point clip for 4 years in a row, I could easily see a team giving him 5-6 years
That carries risk. He could already be declining by then, and even worse Chytil or another youngin’ could usurp him. 1-year deal carries no risk, and he reaches UFA as young as he can.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think its safe to say that 5 million is a best case scenario with Strome. I dont see us getting that, even if we offer him it over four years.
Again, as I said, I think that we are all overlooking where he is mentally after his career was as a fringe player. I think it is worth something. The opportunity that is being offered him here is not being offered elsewhere. And he know that he is not getting $7m on the open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->