Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
LD is stacked with prospects and should just play out organically. Sign Ada long term and trade nils for a similar high end prospect like turcotte, zegras or cozens or just be patient for another year or two to see what the cap will look like and what the team needs are then. Don't understand the anxiety about rd, it's a good problem. Also, don't understand the desire to trade DeAngelo. Regardless, the future is bright and it's been great witnessing such a quick rebuild

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
LD is stacked with prospects and should just play out organically. Sign Ada long term and trade nils for a similar high end prospect like turcotte, zegras or cozens or just be patient for another year or two to see what the cap will look like and what the team needs are then. Don't understand the anxiety about rd, it's a good problem. Also, don't understand the desire to trade DeAngelo. Regardless, the future is bright and it's been great witnessing such a quick rebuild

I agree for the most part but I do believe we’ll need an established #3ish LD if we want to compete while Mika, Panarin, Kreids are all still firing on all cylinders. We have good prospect depth but waiting for two to step in and one to be able to play 20+ minutes for a contender, I’m not sure is the best way to make sure we take advantage of the opportunity we have with Zbad and Panarin being as peak as they are right now. When was the last time we had a duo like this? They’re arguably one of the absolute best duos in the entire NHL based on a lot of metrics this year.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I agree for the most part but I do believe we’ll need an established #3ish LD if we want to compete while Mika, Panarin, Kreids are all still firing on all cylinders. We have good prospect depth but waiting for two to step in and one to be able to play 20+ minutes for a contender, I’m not sure is the best way to make sure we take advantage of the opportunity we have with Zbad and Panarin being as peak as they are right now. When was the last time we had a duo like this? They’re arguably one of the absolute best duos in the entire NHL based on a lot of metrics this year.

Two forwards in the top 15 in the league? Nash and Gaborik were never at their best playing together, and Nylander was boosted big time by Jagr. I don't put him on Zibanejad's level.

So... that would mean Bure+Lindros, for the grand total of twelve games that they were both on the top of their game for us.

Reactions: motopanekeku

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Two forwards in the top 15 in the league? Nash and Gaborik were never at their best playing together, and Nylander was boosted big time by Jagr. I don't put him on Zibanejad's level.

So... that would mean Bure+Lindros, for the grand total of twelve games that they were both on the top of their game for us.

And (not very) arguably these two are far more prime than any of them were. If you look at Mika’s points per game and goals per game, considering the time he missed and where Panarin finished (getting some Hart consideration) its very possible that the only “better” duo out there is McDavid and Draisaitl THIS year. Can we expect them to maintain that level? Who knows... I’d love to see it, obviously. But the Rangers having two prime aged forwards arguably in the top 5 or 10 in the league is unprecedented. And Mika is also one of the top two-way centers out there. He’ll start to get Selke consideration next year if he keeps close to his pace from this year. As strong as our prospect pipeline is, I don’t know if I want to wait for a LD to emerge who is capable of playing 20+ minutes a night, playoff hockey, etc. while we’re blessed with the setup that we have right now. I do believe we have a lot of internal solutions coming along and a nice large window opening, but I’d hate to squander the best years of Panarin and Zibby.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Whats the start date for window to start negotiating an extension on a contract that expires at the end of next season? is it Jan 1, 2021?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Panarin finished tied for 3rd in points with a game in hand. Mika finished 12th in points and 5th in goals. Panarin was 3rd in points per game and Mika was 7th in points per game and 1st in goals per game. Mika was also 6th among centers in SH time-on-ice per game. None of the other centers with that kind of SH TOI were remotely near his points or goals per game, and it’s honestly largely due to the fact that while we on HF realize how much he’s breaking out, the rest of the league hasn’t fully taken notice yet, that he isn’t much higher in the conversation for top 5 center in the league.

Even using raw numbers instead of per-game numbers, he was 6th among all centers in points despite the time missed and 3rd in goals. Considering his two way play, goal scoring prowess, etc. he has a very serious argument for being a top 5 center in the league today. People will knee jerk and say that Eichel, Matthews, Mackinnon, etc. are better but they have virtually non-existent defensive games, some play with much better offensive talent, etc. And when it comes to the Crosby/Malkin comparison, I’d take a prime, surging Mika going forward, despite obviously not being up to their career standards. Maybe I’m biased, but I believe we’re richer than we realize with these two, plus the good possibility for Kakko to breakout and even decent support in Kreider, Buch, Kravstov, Strome, etc.

You look at our goaltending situation, the right side of our defense, some good depth forwards in Lemmy, Fast, DiGiuseppe, Gauthier... we’re a couple of depth forwards and a LD away from being a very dangerous club. We have some great prospects on the way, no doubt, but if there is a chance to add a LD who is truly worth adding, I really wouldn’t gamble on the prospects being able to fill the role we’re lacking.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Whats the start date for window to start negotiating an extension on a contract that expires at the end of next season? is it Jan 1, 2021?

Extensions can be negotiated 12 months prior to the contract expiring, with the exception of 1-year contracts. In those cases, extensions can be negotiated on January 1st

Reactions: Avery16

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You look at our goaltending situation, the right side of our defense, some good depth forwards in Lemmy, Fast, DiGiuseppe, Gauthier... we’re a couple of depth forwards and a LD away from being a very dangerous club. We have some great prospects on the way, no doubt, but if there is a chance to add a LD who is truly worth adding, I really wouldn’t gamble on the prospects being able to fill the role we’re lacking.

I was watching the replay for game 6 of the 2014 ECF and appraising the NY Rangers lineup that game

Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Richards-St. Louis
Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Diaz/Moore-Klein

We're pretty far off from that. Really the only weakness in that lineup was lack of a true first line. We basically had three excellent second lines and a very good 4th.

This club needs Chytil, Kakko, and probably Kravtsov to all become steady 2nd line level players, as well as get a McDonagh level LD in order to be cup competitive. And that's assuming Shesty becomes as good as Hank, which we all obviously hope he will.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Extensions can be negotiated 12 months prior to the contract expiring, with the exception of 1-year contracts. In those cases, extensions can be negotiated on January 1st
Maybe FO is deferring a decision on Hank and Georgiev until July 1 when they can get Hank’s ask on an extension, and have an idea of what it’ll take to get Georgiev (arb rights) extended.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I was watching the replay for game 6 of the 2014 ECF and appraising the NY Rangers lineup that game

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Diaz/Moore-Klein

We're pretty far off from that. Really the only weakness in that lineup was lack of a true first line. We basically had three excellent second lines and a very good 4th.

This club needs Chytil, Kakko, and probably Kravtsov to all become steady 2nd line level players, as well as get a McDonagh level LD in order to be cup competitive. And that's assuming Shesty becomes as good as Hank, which we all obviously hope he will.

If Strome can play close to his level with Panarin this year going forward, even if he’s not that effective away from him, I think we can bank on of KK, Kravstov or Chytil being able to slot into a top six role on that line. KZB can stay together, or if two of KK, Krav, Chytil become top-six we can either shop Buch or move him to a third line. I think Chytil shows tremendous promise and KK ought to at least be a top six player even if he isn’t some kind of 80+ point phenom. I agree with you, but I think Panarin and Zibanejad outshine anything on that roster by a hefty margin and when you add Kreider, Strome the way he played this year, and hope for Chytil/KK to be top sixers (which doesn’t feel like a far wish right now... all stars maybe not, but I believe both should be top six quality forwards). The offense from the backend is probably the best we’ve had in an age. I think one more year (for Chytil to take a step, KK to become an adult, Kravstov to have his first taste, Gauthier to potentially cement himself as a third liner) and we’re honestly about one solid LD away from starting to make some noise.

Obviously not everything will pan out. We’ll decide whether or not to move Buch, Georgiev, etc. but I think LD is the most glaring area where waiting for a prospect to step in is farthest away. If KK lives up to 75% of his potential than Panarin/Zib/Kreider/Kakko/Strome/Chytil/Buch/Kravstov gives pretty solid options for a potent top six. One or two of those guys won’t be in the top six and you’ve got Howden/Lemmy/Fast/Gauthier, etc. rounding out the bottom six. A smart veteran bottom six signing puts our forward core in pretty good shape. I really think it’s just LD that’s blatantly a few years away.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Maybe FO is deferring a decision on Hank and Georgiev until July 1 when they can get Hank’s ask on an extension, and have an idea of what it’ll take to get Georgiev (arb rights) extended.

They can talk to Georgiev and his agent now, and I don't think they have any intention of signing Hank to an extension. Even if we end up trading Georgiev, I doubt Hank gets re-signed. We are going to need a goalie who we can expose in the expansion draft and I doubt the Rangers would do that to Hank. I suppose we could protect Hank in that scenario and sign someone for the ECHL/AHL who we expose, but I just don't see it happening. Is Hank re-signing to be a back up? Does he sign somewhere else in the hopes of being a starter? Or does he go back to Sweden and play with his brother for a couple years?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
They can talk to Georgiev and his agent now, and I don't think they have any intention of signing Hank to an extension. Even if we end up trading Georgiev, I doubt Hank gets re-signed. We are going to need a goalie who we can expose in the expansion draft and I doubt the Rangers would do that to Hank. I suppose we could protect Hank in that scenario and sign someone for the ECHL/AHL who we expose, but I just don't see it happening. Is Hank re-signing to be a back up? Does he sign somewhere else in the hopes of being a starter? Or does he go back to Sweden and play with his brother for a couple years?
I think if FO had an actionable offer of a significant return for Georgiev, and if Hank were into signing something like a 2 x 2.5 to be a backup, the FO would be interested.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Diaz/Moore-Klein

The forward depth isn't close, but this team already has what that team was missing: star power (and our current defense is probably as good if not better). Honestly it's really just the bottom 6.

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
Reports that D. Strome is available. I reported a while back that the Dylan Strome for Sorokin trade was a legit trade that was close to happening before Lou pulled the plug. At the time I was positive that Sorokin wouldn’t be an Islander but now it looks like he may come over to them next season. Lou nixed the trade last minute. The Andrew Ladd/Parise deal was very real too, and I know one of Wahlstrom or Sorokin was involved (source said it was a top 3 Isles prospect, doubt Holmstrom was the piece so it was either of the first two.) That trade can still happen in the offseason. DeBrincat also could get moved, he fell off a bit this year. Bowman has built a strange core and could’ve been closer to competing if he rebuilt right

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The forward depth isn't close, but this team already has what that team was missing: star power (and our current defense is probably as good if not better). Honestly it's really just the bottom 6.

Yeah roster wise we are on the right track.

The big shortage this team have in this perspective is that our inexperience shines through by us not showing up for games with the necessary mindset to play a particular team and that we get way to optimistic during games. That team was hard to beat. If they played a certain team on away ice, they knew what it would take and played to that end. It was a cynical team.

And to get to that point you must have experience individually and as a team.

The hard part is probably to keep the nukes under the cap — while being able to create a team that is capable to battle through a regular season and a POs.

This is of course the big problem Toronto has. They also have the nukes. But due to the cap and a huge turnover of players and really few, if any, “great” contracts — they take one step forward and two back in this department.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Diaz/Moore-Klein

I’ve been watching all the 2014 games MSG has been playing lately. I forgot how much that 4th line meant to our run. They scored goals in multiple big games. Created turnovers. Put pressure on opponents when they were out there. They were way better than I remembered.

we are much better up top now. But yeah we need some guys who can forecheck like that. Our bottom 6 is horrendous comparably.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If we had real guns on the top lines we win in 14 and or 15. The fact we needed our fourth line so badly is why we didn’t.

I much rather ride Mika And Panarin 20 plus mins than roll 4 lines.

Reactions: RGY and egelband

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I have no idea why Chicago would be interested in moving Debrincat or Strome, but I'd definitely call and inquire if I were Gorton. Georgiev seems like one obvious piece considering their only goalies are Crawford, Delia, and Subban.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
It must be hard for GM's right now with regard to signings/extensions/BO's and such with the season and likely half of next up in the air . A guy like the King is not going to retire right now when he can earn half a season's pay next year for not playing if things are suspended until Jan1st(a guess at best date) Plus the Rangers likely won't buy out anyone if they don't have to do so.....interesting times...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I have no idea why Chicago would be interested in moving Debrincat or Strome, but I'd definitely call and inquire if I were Gorton. Georgiev seems like one obvious piece considering their only goalies are Crawford, Delia, and Subban.

Well they're in a bad cap situation, so that plays a big role. Kubalik had a heck of a year and needs a new contract, as does Strome. They also love Dach.

I would imagine Strome is asking for a relatively pricey 2nd contract. He's a tremendously talented offensive player, but he's made little to no progress in his skating since he was drafted. He's also a mess in his own end. I could see the Rangers maybe being interested to see if they could help him grow in the way they helped his brother, but when we already have Ryan and Chytil in those middle-six spots, I'm not sure where he fits.

Debrincat is a head scratcher, but maybe they're just looking for a salary swap for a similar player at a different position. They could also just be trying to kick him in the ass for next year. They gave him that pretty big 3 year deal in October and he came crashing back down to earth this season.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I'd be interested in Dylan if the price is right. That might be a move they make after other moves though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad