Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have not a doubt in my mind as well Rangers will be Cup contenders 2-3 years from now. This year until the stoppage, it was pretty much a given that even if we missed the playoffs, we were about a year ahead of schedule.

Some tinkering here and there over the offseason by GMJG and and the anticipated progressions of the Kakko's, Chytil's,Igor's and the influx of youth of the Millers,Kravtsov's, Lindqvists....etc all being led by Panarin,Zbad,Kreider,Trouba,DeAngelo, yeah I mean how can you not be excited about where this team is headed.

As far a Ratelle and Gilbert, yes they played on the same line and on same PP unit for pretty much their entire Ranger careers but if you are talking duo's, no matter how you slice and dice it, that to me are the two best players Rangers have ever had at same time for multiple years. I'd anticipate another year or two from now I'll be singing a different tune when it comes to Bread and Zbad but for now, Jean and Rod are my top Ranger duo of all time.

Lindqvist is no longer part of the organization. He is doing well in Sweden though

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m not really interested in seeking out any trades at this point, if I’m the Rangers. If another team comes calling, certainly I listen. But I don’t think much needs to be done at this point. Add whatever is needed to fill the expansion draft requirements. Maybe a vet or reclamation project. If opportunities present themselves. But I don’t think major changes are needed. The only guys I think might be on the path to being overpaid and not really fitting the team’s MO are Strome and Buchnevich. I’d listen on them. And Georgiev as he might have more value to another team than to the Rangers. But really no big moves required.
I also would re-sign Fast, if possible.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
One player that I would target is Mathieu Joseph. He's not going to help the Rangers expansion planning scenario, but he's a very good player who had a down year this year, and got surpassed in the line-up. He's not playing in Tampa's 4th line, and depending on what happens with Gourde, a slot might open up.

But he's a classic case of a guy who can do more in the NHL, but is caught in a numbers game with his team. TB gave up two first round picks for Coleman and Goodrow. Those guys are playing every night. They are going to be their PK leads. Goodrow might be the best PKer in the entire league.

TB will have salary challenges and need defensemen that can play on cheap deals. Not sure how TB would feel about re-acquiring Hajek, but a Hajek for Joseph deal could help both teams out. I'd still like to see if Libor can crack the Ranger line-up since the Rangers don't have assurances on left defense, but a trade like that would be a good yield for the Rangers.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
D. Strome is a bad skater. Who cares? His 5v5 results in 116 games with the Blackhawks have been fantastic. His defensive shortcomings are overblown and are based on reputation and hearsay rather than an actual look at his performance. His most common linemate has been Kane. So what? He would almost surely play with Panarin here anyway and it's not like he's a guy we expect to purely be a product of Kane given he's a year out from being a point per game AHL player anyway. The only time in his career so far he didn't score is when he was buried in the lineup in ARI playing 13 mins/game.

And I don't know how we can say C isn't a need given our C depth chart right now is basically Mika. R. Strome for who knows how much longer, Chytil who has mostly been a wing, Howden who is a bad player, McKegg, Andersson who wants a trade etc. C is most definitely not a strength.

DeBrincat is the one who isn't a need though I would of course take him as he is a better player and you can just move things around to make it work.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have not a doubt in my mind as well Rangers will be Cup contenders 2-3 years from now. This year until the stoppage, it was pretty much a given that even if we missed the playoffs, we were about a year ahead of schedule.

Some tinkering here and there over the offseason by GMJG and and the anticipated progressions of the Kakko's, Chytil's,Igor's and the influx of youth of the Millers,Kravtsov's, Lindqvists....etc all being led by Panarin,Zbad,Kreider,Trouba,DeAngelo, yeah I mean how can you not be excited about where this team is headed.

As far a Ratelle and Gilbert, yes they played on the same line and on same PP unit for pretty much their entire Ranger careers but if you are talking duo's, no matter how you slice and dice it, that to me are the two best players Rangers have ever had at same time for multiple years. I'd anticipate another year or two from now I'll be singing a different tune when it comes to Bread and Zbad but for now, Jean and Rod are my top Ranger duo of all time.

Well Messier and Graves played together for several years. Graves wasn't quite as good of a player as Ratelle or Gilbert--though he was more rounded and way more physical. OTOH Messier in his first go round with the Rangers was arguably their best forward (it's between him and Jagr and IMO after Panarin's first season he might be in the conversation in a year or two) in my viewing lifetime. The second go around with Messier--he'd declined a lot.

All time best Rangers forwards since 1971-72:

1. Messier
2. Jagr
3. Panarin
4. Ratelle
5. Gilbert
6. Zibanejad (he's turned into a monster the last couple years)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One player that I would target is Mathieu Joseph. He's not going to help the Rangers expansion planning scenario, but he's a very good player who had a down year this year, and got surpassed in the line-up. He's not playing in Tampa's 4th line, and depending on what happens with Gourde, a slot might open up.

But he's a classic case of a guy who can do more in the NHL, but is caught in a numbers game with his team. TB gave up two first round picks for Coleman and Goodrow. Those guys are playing every night. They are going to be their PK leads. Goodrow might be the best PKer in the entire league.

TB will have salary challenges and need defensemen that can play on cheap deals. Not sure how TB would feel about re-acquiring Hajek, but a Hajek for Joseph deal could help both teams out. I'd still like to see if Libor can crack the Ranger line-up since the Rangers don't have assurances on left defense, but a trade like that would be a good yield for the Rangers.

Hajek was great at the WJC's and had a huge year his last WHL season but he's not really been able to adapt his two way game as a pro. It's like he handles and moves the puck smoothly but there's been a real lack of any offensive production. It's sub-Marc Staal numbers there.....and he seemed on the verge of shell shock this year getting hammered again and again in his own zone by forechecking forwards. Anyway Tampa knows Hajek--they drafted him. Maybe they'd go for it. Joseph could be a good pickup.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Well Messier and Graves played together for several years. Graves wasn't quite as good of a player as Ratelle or Gilbert--though he was more rounded and way more physical. OTOH Messier in his first go round with the Rangers was arguably their best forward (it's between him and Jagr and IMO after Panarin's first season he might be in the conversation in a year or two) in my viewing lifetime. The second go around with Messier--he'd declined a lot.

All time best Rangers forwards since 1971-72:

1. Messier
2. Jagr
3. Panarin
4. Ratelle
5. Gilbert
6. Zibanejad (he's turned into a monster the last couple years)

I’d probably rank them same way as from looks of it, you and I became Ranger fans around same time period circa 1971-72.

The only slight quibble I might have with your top 6 is I probably need to include Mike Gartner, who after all did score 40+ goals
in 3 consecutive seasons back in the early 90’s and was a great Ranger in place of Zbad for now.

If we had 4 more spots to fill absolutely I’d include Zbad and put him at the 10 spot. I’d put Graves at 7, Gaborik at 8 and Steve Vickers at 9 and than Zbad.

So my top 10 Ranger fwds since I became hooked on our Rangers in 1971 would be:

1. Messier
2. Jagr
3. Panarin
4. Ratelle
5. Gilbert
6. Gartner
7. Graves
8. Gaborik
9. Vickers
10. Zbad

HM: Anders Hedberg has to be mentioned as he was another great Ranger and was so clutch come playoff time.

It can easily be argued and I wouldn’t debate it all too much, if you didn’t insert Hedberg onto this list instead of anyone of the guys I have ranked 7 thru 10.

Reactions: leetch99

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Performance/cap hit is all that matters.

Dylan’s cap hit will be inflated from playing with Kane. Hence his price will be too high. Rather get the same caliber player from someone else that doesn’t have an inflated record.

We have no cap space to take on any contract that isn’t good long-term.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Performance/cap hit is all that matters.

Dylan’s cap hit will be inflated from playing with Kane. Hence his price will be too high. Rather get the same caliber player from someone else that doesn’t have an inflated record.

We have no cap space to take on any contract that isn’t good long-term.

Not true. In 763.2 minutes with Kane the last two years he has 11 goals, 19 assists, and 30 points.

In 735.65 minutes without Kane (as a Blackhawk) he has 9 goals, 24 assists, 33 points.

In any case I don't know why we would be calling a relatively recent 3rd overall pick who scored 53 points in his last 50 AHL games a product of anyone. He's doing what he was expected to do upon being drafted. Are we going to bash Kakko in the future if he scores 80 points because he plays with Panarin or Zibanejad? This isn't Ryan Strome who had a similar pre-draft and AHL pedigree as Dylan but then went four years as a marginal NHL player until this season.

Dyaln Strome has scored everywhere he has played with the exception of 20 games in 18-19 in ARI where the only forwards he played more than 50 minutes with were Nick Cousins, Lawson Crouse, Brendan Perlini, and Christian Fischer.

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hajek was great at the WJC's and had a huge year his last WHL season but he's not really been able to adapt his two way game as a pro. It's like he handles and moves the puck smoothly but there's been a real lack of any offensive production. It's sub-Marc Staal numbers there.....and he seemed on the verge of shell shock this year getting hammered again and again in his own zone by forechecking forwards. Anyway Tampa knows Hajek--they drafted him. Maybe they'd go for it. Joseph could be a good pickup.

I'm not trying to give Hajek away, I really like what he can bring. I don't expect a lot of offense, but a guy who knows how to play the position, is willing to block shots, take the body, and move the puck out. He knows how to play. But I think he lacks confidence, and isn't sure handed. Like he was caught thinking too much in the moment out there. He's gotten rocked a couple of times, but it's almost as if he's bracing the hit that's coming on.

I think what Hajek needs is a mentor who can help break down film with him, and help him with his confidence to play a more proactive style. I feel that way for a number of the younger players. Bringing in Ruutu was a good move and story, but let's get a couple of other guys who have been there and done it to help some of the other international kids along, not just on the ice, but in terms of being a pro. Hajek is a farm boy from the Czech Republic, having guys around him and Chytil will help them along.

I know the Dallas stars have a little Czech community in the area where Faksa, Hanzal and Polak were really engaged. Bring in a guy like Michael Rozsival as an employee. He's played in the league and won 2 cups, and endured what this fanbase can be like. It's good for guys to have that type of insulation and mentorship. The Rangers have the capital for a move like that, and they should take advantage of it.... and guess what.... it lead to ticket sales for Dallas.

I'd like to see the two of Miller, Hajek, Nils, or Rykov push both Smith and Staal out of the line-up. So there may eventually have to be a trade, but till then you need to cultivate your assets.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m not really interested in seeking out any trades at this point, if I’m the Rangers. If another team comes calling, certainly I listen. But I don’t think much needs to be done at this point. Add whatever is needed to fill the expansion draft requirements. Maybe a vet or reclamation project. If opportunities present themselves. But I don’t think major changes are needed. The only guys I think might be on the path to being overpaid and not really fitting the team’s MO are Strome and Buchnevich. I’d listen on them. And Georgiev as he might have more value to another team than to the Rangers. But really no big moves required.
I also would re-sign Fast, if possible.
And I do not think the Rangers really are either right now. Nor do I believe they are interested in any big UFAs. A signing to bolster the defense might happen, not not on a Panarin/Trouba scale.

At some point a move will have to be made as they cannot simply pay everyone. And the someone that I believe will be moved will be Buch.

Reactions: egelband

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
I’d probably rank them same way as from looks of it, you and I became Ranger fans around same time period circa 1971-72.

The only slight quibble I might have with your top 6 is I probably need to include Mike Gartner, who after all did score 40+ goals
in 3 consecutive seasons back in the early 90’s and was a great Ranger in place of Zbad for now.

If we had 4 more spots to fill absolutely I’d include Zbad and put him at the 10 spot. I’d put Graves at 7, Gaborik at 8 and Steve Vickers at 9 and than Zbad.

So my top 10 Ranger fwds since I became hooked on our Rangers in 1971 would be:

1. Messier
2. Jagr
3. Panarin
4. Ratelle
5. Gilbert
6. Gartner
7. Graves
8. Gaborik
9. Vickers
10. Zbad

HM: Anders Hedberg has to be mentioned as he was another great Ranger and was so clutch come playoff time.

It can easily be argued and I wouldn’t debate it all too much, if you didn’t insert Hedberg onto this list instead of anyone of the guys I have ranked 7 thru 10.

Don't forget the all round skills of Walt Tkaczuk. His career Ranger stat contributions easily fit him between 6-10 consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad