Salary Cap: Roster-Building thread XXXIII | Something is rotten in the state of Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Wow, there are not many deals left for deadline day. Rangers got much better, Flyers got better, because Gudas is good and as someone mentioned, they will love him there. Caps got better too. Damn, I hate this division!! The Rangers won the Yandle deal by a mile, with Arizona picking up half the salary of one of the best offensive D-Men in the league. Sheppard is a nice player as well......

If Lundqvist gets healthy, the Rangers are the favourites out of the East again imo.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Wow, there are not many deals left for deadline day. Rangers got much better, Flyers got better, because Gudas is good and as someone mentioned, they will love him there. Caps got better too. Damn, I hate this division!! The Rangers won the Yandle deal by a mile, with Arizona picking up half the salary of one of the best offensive D-Men in the league. Sheppard is a nice player as well......

If Lundqvist gets healthy, the Rangers are the favourites out of the East again imo.

Anything can happen in a best of 7 series, and we will likely meet the Rangers in the playoffs, but it sucks to say that the Rags are the team to beat in the East now come playoff time. If like you said Lundqvist gets rolling, with that defense, they are a scary threat.

Also unfortunately with the cap space we have left, and the people left on the market, JR will have a hard time making a move or moves that will bring us back up to par at least on paper with the Rangers.

Lets hope for underperformance from a few of their key guys and overperforming from a few of ours...

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Anything can happen in a best of 7 series, and we will likely meet the Rangers in the playoffs, but it sucks to say that the Rags are the team to beat in the East now come playoff time. If like you said Lundqvist gets rolling, with that defense, they are a scary threat.

Also unfortunately with the cap space we have left, and the people left on the market, JR will have a hard time making a move or moves that will bring us back up to par at least on paper with the Rangers.

Lets hope for underperformance from a few of their key guys and overperforming from a few of ours...

A lot of things would have to happen for the Pens to beat the Rangers in a 7 game series. JR has done a good job, but I don´t think he can do enough with the team beeing so tight against the cap. But I think we already knew that the Pens were not the favourites in the East with the current team, so it hurts, but not that much. ;-)

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just saw that Connolly to boston thread.

What in the hell? Really choked to see them get that kid, really think JR could have gotten him for Dumo and a 2nd.

The rangers also got Klingberg...****ing hell.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
With these prices im all for moving one of Martin/Ehrhoff. We would get a first +prospect for sure.
Then trade dumoulin for a D-man. Might not be as good as the one we trade away, but the drop off wont be far. Seeing the like of Coburn getting traded for a kings ransom makes me wanna take the chance of downgrading just a bit if it means we will get valuable assets back.

I would also 100% move Sutter. Be it for a player or futures. If its a player Spalling/Winnik can center the 3rd line. Otherwise we can use the cap space of Sutter to aquire Another player if we feel the need.

Its not hard to see that every player centered by Sutter looks bad. As soon as they have spalling, or even Lapierre as center, we get so much more poseesion in the O-zone.

I also dont see Sutter staying past his contract. So may as well get assets while we can (wich we has to be the worst team in the leagu of doing)

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
With these insane prices i wish we were selling off, Martin, Scudz, Sutter, Kunitz. DAMN :(

Problem is, the Pens are too close to are sellers. This team is pretty good with some holes like 3C and 4C (Sutter and Lapierre), and one spot on D to be real contenders. You can´t sell at that point imo, that is the problem.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At best, I wouldn't mind some prospect shuffling, maybe try to get the Flames to move Baertschi for Dumoulin or something, just something to add some kids in the system.

I don't see any big moves or moves for the big club tomorrow.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With these prices im all for moving one of Martin/Ehrhoff. We would get a first +prospect for sure.
Then trade dumoulin for a D-man. Might not be as good as the one we trade away, but the drop off wont be far. Seeing the like of Coburn getting traded for a kings ransom makes me wanna take the chance of downgrading just a bit if it means we will get valuable assets back.

I would also 100% move Sutter. Be it for a player or futures. If its a player Spalling/Winnik can center the 3rd line. Otherwise we can use the cap space of Sutter to aquire Another player if we feel the need.

Its not hard to see that every player centered by Sutter looks bad. As soon as they have spalling, or even Lapierre as center, we get so much more poseesion in the O-zone.

I also dont see Sutter staying past his contract. So may as well get assets while we can (wich we has to be the worst team in the leagu of doing)

No one is going to want Ehrhoff and losing Martin would hurt the blueline, it would be absolutely different if Maatta wasn't out. But it is what it is. I can see why JR hasn't made any big moves, the market is insanely tilted for sellers right now.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
No one is going to want Ehrhoff and losing Martin would hurt the blueline, it would be absolutely different if Maatta wasn't out. But it is what it is. I can see why JR hasn't made any big moves, the market is insanely tilted for sellers right now.

Agreed. It's so frustrating that we had to lose Maatta. It would be nice to add a meaningful draft pick at the deadline for once as opposed to trading one away. That actually would have been possible were it not for our umpteenth instance of horawful injury luck.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Also, how good is that Perron acquisition looking right now? Perron on the open market today might have commanded a bonafide blue chip prospect to accompany that late 1st rounder we coughed up...perhaps even more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If we could get a 1st for Ehroff I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yes, all playoff bound and gm's of teams fighting for the playoffs will be tripping over themselves to offer Rutherford a 1st for a concussed Christian Ehrhoff, well not concussed, but they were worried enough to give him a few more days to "rest up" from his previous concussion. That's a red flag for any GM wanting help NOW for an impending UFA.

Seems reasonable enough.

Doesn't happen in the NHL, unless it's a cap dump even then, you might want to take a gander at his stipulations on his contract. Ehrhoff has some say where he goes.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
I was against signing Ehrhoff in the summer, because we really could have used that cap space. The injury to Maata is the real problem here, I think you could try to trade Ehrhoff with Maata in the mix. Now, I am not so sure about that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also, how good is that Perron acquisition looking right now? Perron on the open market today might have commanded a bonafide blue chip prospect to accompany that late 1st rounder we coughed up...perhaps even more.

People were sad that we lost Neal in the Hornqvist+Spaling trade, but we not only got Hornqvist this year and a solid bottom 6 player, JR went and got Perron too and both wingers, I would take gladly over what Neal brings on a daily basis.

Both play an edge, are solid in their own end, and are not afraid to stir it up and play in the dirty areas, Neal just liked to be dirty occasionally but god forbid he go near the front of the net and battle.

I am really happy to see Horny and Perron stay on and be Pens for the rest of their careers, super stoked about those two when JR fixes everything else.

Had the Oilers waited, they could have really cashed in on DP.

Agreed. It's so frustrating that we had to lose Maatta. It would be nice to add a meaningful draft pick at the deadline for once as opposed to trading one away. That actually would have been possible were it not for our umpteenth instance of horawful injury luck.

I hated that Maatta came back so early from his shoulder surgery, that seemed inhuman to me but we chalked it up to a kid that was just resilient as hell and he kept showing that with his tumor and everything else. I think this is a blessing in disguise for Olli, he will be training his tail off with the kind of person he is, I expect to see a more filled out Olli Maatta next season and people will take notice at just how god damned good this kid is.

I think from here on out, JR's biggest moves will be in late June, early July, when he wheels and deals for some picks at the deadline and a quick re-tool with moving a few guys out that need to go.

Not EVERYTHING needs to be addressed at the deadline. People are so used to big splashes by playoff bound teams that they sometimes forget, a trade for the sake of making a trade during a time where people are getting all wrapped up in the excitement, isn't always good.

Sad Thoughts:I hate thinking about stuff like this, but I wish Shero sat back and let Bylsma dig his own grave the year he dealt for Murray, Morrow, and Iginla and just didn't move anything for them (We'd have Hanowski, Agostino, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, and Morrow in the pipeline still, but whatever, it is what it is, none of that has bit the pens in the ass yet...).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was against signing Ehrhoff in the summer, because we really could have used that cap space. The injury to Maata is the real problem here, I think you could try to trade Ehrhoff with Maata in the mix. Now, I am not so sure about that.

No, what people forget is that Ehrhoff was solid at the start of the year, he's endured some injuries too that seem to be hindering how he's played since he got back (before his concussion).

What were the pairings at the start?

Maatta, Martin
Ehrhoff, Letang
Scuderi, Bortuzzo

That was solid as hell, it all turned to crap when Maatta got hurt and Ehrhoff and his first injury.

Ehrhoff also has a NTC I think.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
No, what people forget is that Ehrhoff was solid at the start of the year, he's endured some injuries too that seem to be hindering how he's played since he got back (before his concussion).

What were the pairings at the start?

Maatta, Martin
Ehrhoff, Letang
Scuderi, Bortuzzo

That was solid as hell, it all turned to crap when Maatta got hurt and Ehrhoff and his first injury.

Ehrhoff also has a NTC I think.

I´m not sure, but wasn´t it Scuderi/Despres from the start? I agree with you, Ehrhoff was solid, but those 4 millions would have been so important.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yzy gave up on him way too quickly.

Boston now has a chance to turn this kid's career around and make themselves forget the blunder that is the Seguin trade.

If they do it right. Connolly is a talented player.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Yzy gave up on him way too quickly.

Boston now has a chance to turn this kid's career around and make themselves forget the blunder that is the Seguin trade.

If they do it right. Connolly is a talented player.

I have the feeling that we could say the same thing about Bennett at some point.....

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, maybe the loss of maatta is stopping us from trading a D. Still think we could move Martin and trade for a cheaper option and save the assets from Martin for the draft.

But the big problem here is Sutter imo. I don't expect him to be J.Staal 2.0. But he is really bad atm. I would love to trade him and upgrade the 3c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad