Salary Cap: Roster-building Thread XXVIII : Lots of D prospects... but need moar D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They'd want Maatta and I would be happy with that.

For a player with 2.5 years left before FA? I'd be very hesitant. Value wise I wouldn't have an issue with it... but his lack of term is unsettling.

Him leaving would be even worse than Perron leaving. But with it being 2.5 yrs vs 1.5 years, you can't really discuss a contract as it's too far away to really know, and it's too short to really offer any security should he leave.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
In the RS era, yes, but in the JR era, no. He's done a great job bringing guys in to give Malkin and Crosby guys to play with. Obviously it's not gonna happen in just one season, but it's a good start.

The biggest problem with this team is that we have got two superstar centers and expected to win with them, we haven't thought about building a roster around them outside of a few players. That is the problem and it needs to change.

Biggest issue with that is if Crosby gets to dictate the lines...it doesn't matter much who you bring in put around him.

If Dupuis was still healthy I gotta think that we would have found our way back to Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. If that's the way the show is run...psh...we're in for another Lemieux Jagr circa 1993 to 1997/2001 era. All the talent in the world...wrong people making the calls = no cups.

I hope JR gets more aggressive in the summer with a potential larger trade. These little tid bits here and there are all well and good but I think we need a major move to bring in a good wing to really pair with Geno. Then, like I've said before, we can stick Comeau with them and all is well. The building block get there.

It would also be nice to get one of Boychuck, Petry, or Franson. Just someone with a little more physicality. Letang-Maatta will be the top pairing. Despres-Boychuck would make a great second pairing. Then you can have a combo or Scuds, Bortzy, Pouliot, Dumo, Harrington, etc for the bottom pairing.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah, but our 20 year old star defensemen that already has been a part of the Finnish olympic team?

Ideally we'd be trading Pouliot+ for Burns, but if it came down to it I'd be fine with giving up Maatta. It would be a tough decision though.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Eberle and Petry from EDM, and Staal from CAR, mentioned on Mark MAdden's show as potential blockbuster deals going down.

Borque's comments about the Pens needing to make a big move/change to the team.

Discuss.

(I'd love Sutter/Kunitz/1 2016 for Eberle/Petry)

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Eberle and Petry from EDM, and Staal from CAR, mentioned on Mark MAdden's show as potential blockbuster deals going down.

Discuss.

Does Madden have any credibility?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

Discuss.

Lol that would be awesome.

Not necessarily in a good way...but awesome.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
If Hall was ever available, I would give up a lot for him. He would solve a LOT of issues for this team.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You have to give to get, and Burns would solve so many of our problems.
Yeah, but our 20 year old star defensemen that already has been a part of the Finnish olympic team?

If Burns had more term left (say 3 or 4 additional years left vs the 2 he does have) or was a little younger, I'd have an easier time with it. Not saying I wouldn't do it... just that it would be very very hard to do that trade. Value wise it's all good... it's just his contract.

penguins2946*

Discuss.

Were those suggestions or actual rumors? I don't see how we could get Eberle tbh. I'd love to bring him in. Maybe Sutter, Kunitz and Harrington for Eberle? That's probably not enough still.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Discuss.

I'm sure you do. But do you really see Edmonton trading that pair for a late 1st one year away, a young center who's a FA in 1 year and a 35 yr old winger?

If Kunitz was younger (say early 30s) and Sutter had more term or controllable years left, I could see it making some sense. But as it is, we would be adding something significant to that proposal. Likely at the very least Harrington/Dumoulin... and realistically more.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Were those suggestions or actual rumors? I don't see how we could get Eberle tbh. I'd love to bring him in. Maybe Sutter, Kunitz and Harrington for Eberle? That's probably not enough still.

Was vague on the details, sorry.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
original_shotonnet.jpg

Unless the Canes can retain 50 percent of his hit and, oh, about five years of his contract, I do not want Jordan Staal.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
I'm sure you do. But do you really see Edmonton trading that pair for a late 1st one year away, a young center who's a FA in 1 year and a 35 yr old winger?

If Kunitz was younger (say early 30s) and Sutter had more term or controllable years left, I could see it making some sense. But as it is, we would be adding something significant to that proposal. Likely at the very least Harrington/Dumoulin... and realistically more.

How about Pouliot, as was rumored a couple days ago to be in play by GMJR for a big deal?

Pouliot as the centerpiece, with Kunitz/Sutter included?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad