Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
The draft is 7 weeks from tomorrow. Nothing will get done until then. I love what the Flyers did in 2011. They traded Richards and Carter for a young roster player,a top prospect and another asset. Simmonds and Voracek. Schenn and Couturier(He was selected with a first from Columbus). LA added a 2nd and Columbus added a 3rd used for Nick Cousins. The 2nd was traded to Dallas for Grossman. I would still be interested in exploring a deal involving McDonagh and the 4th overall pick. Matt Tkachuk. He is supposed to be a better player than his father who was a great player. What else can the Rangers get in addition to 4th overall for McDonagh who I love but would move in the right deal? Ryan has taken some huge hits in his career. He has been injured the last two years in the playoffs. Three years left at a very good number.

If we're going that route, is it time to approach Hank about if he wants to really stick around for 2-3 years of a semi-rebuild? You have to imagine Dallas will be gung-ho about trading for a legit #1 this summer. And it already looks very likely MAF will be available.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
RangerBoy- Good point, would have to be Draisatl coming back plus the 4th from my POV though.

Another move I would make -- if possible -- is to trade Hank. Until the nets are made bigger it's just too "easy" to play there for it to be worth it to carry the best guy at that position. Not to take anything away from Hank, and undoubtedly not getting net minding still screws a lot of teams every year, but the odds of "striking gold" between the pipes is just higher.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What do you think it'll take for Vancouver to give up Brock Boeser? I know it's a lot, but what do you think they'd want?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
RangerBoy- Good point, would have to be Draisatl coming back plus the 4th from my POV though.

I have a hard time believing Oilers would part with both those assets for McD, but guess it doesn't hurt to ask....

And yes, if we're trading McD, it's time to approach Hank and have a serious discussion about when this team will be realistic cup contenders again.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
As a Pens fan, I came over here to post I miss you guys lol. It was nice in our series chatting with most of you guys and getting information about some of your players ect... 90% of the Caps fan base, My god.

I don't think that the Ranger's need to do a full blow up of the roster. Look at My Penguins this year.

They had an Idiot for a coach(just like AV is).

Dan Girardi, Had the Scuderi effect for the Rangers. That contract will be hard to move obviously. He has played a TON the last few years, perhaps he can be atleast serviceable next season.

If You guys could find a way keep Yandle AND play him with a partner that is not Boyle...That was a strange pair to say the least.

Play Skjei next year, I think he has a bright future.

McIlrath- I thought he was solid for you guys and surely ready for a full time gig as well.

I guess what I'm saying is I think with a new coach and playing a few of the younger D men will do wonders for the defense.

I do think that you should trade Nash for some cap room and probably get back some good pieces for a retool.

If you can find a couple forward in the off season that are a good fit, I see no reason this team isn't back in the playoffs next season.

Whoever signs Eric Staal in the off season is going to regret it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
How about something major like..

Ryan mcdonagh
Rights to Keith yandle
Kevin Klein
Rick Nash

For rnh
Draisatl
Yak
4th overall.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
As a Pens fan, I came over here to post I miss you guys lol. It was nice in our series chatting with most of you guys and getting information about some of your players ect... 90% of the Caps fan base, My god.

I don't think that the Ranger's need to do a full blow up of the roster. Look at My Penguins this year.

They had an Idiot for a coach(just like AV is).

Dan Girardi, Had the Scuderi effect for the Rangers. That contract will be hard to move obviously. He has played a TON the last few years, perhaps he can be atleast serviceable next season.

If You guys could find a way keep Yandle AND play him with a partner that is not Boyle...That was a strange pair to say the least.

Play Skjei next year, I think he has a bright future.

McIlrath- I thought he was solid for you guys and surely ready for a full time gig as well.

I guess what I'm saying is I think with a new coach and playing a few of the younger D men will do wonders for the defense.

I do think that you should trade Nash for some cap room and probably get back some good pieces for a retool.

If you can find a couple forward in the off season that are a good fit, I see no reason this team isn't back in the playoffs next season.

Whoever signs Eric Staal in the off season is going to regret it.

We'll be in the playoffs if Dolan wants us to be...I don't doubt that. The question is how far will we really go?

All these years of going "all-in" for sub-par results is not paying off, and it's only making the next year of "going all-in" that much bleaker.

Absolutely agree about Eric Staal, though.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

Ryan mcdonagh
Rights to Keith yandle
Kevin Klein
Rick Nash

For rnh
Draisatl
Yak
4th overall.

I guess my question would be "Who are you putting on defense?"

Staal - Girardi
Skjei - McIlrath
? - ?

I can't take a year of a Staal and G pairing. That's also a fair chunk of cap heading to the Oilers, and they'll be crowded on the back end. I don't see RNH and Drai going in the same deal. That's a position of strength turning into weakness.

I think they'll go with McDavd - RNH or McDavid - Drai as their 1-2 punch or be perfectly happy with Drai on the wing and flipping one of Eberle or Yak for D help.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd move McDonagh if the return was right. But there would have to be major changes on the back end before I did that. Staal, Girardi, Klein would go first and they would need to sign both Yandle and Demers along with bringing in some players via trade (Vatanen +) in order for it to work

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Ryan mcdonagh
Rights to Keith yandle
Kevin Klein
Rick Nash

For rnh
Draisatl
Yak
4th overall.

So what's our defense then?

Staal-G
Skjei-Wrath
Graves-Bodie

???

CoWZ05t.gif

mti79

May 11, 2007

Ryan mcdonagh
Rights to Keith yandle
Kevin Klein
Rick Nash

For rnh
Draisatl
Yak
4th overall.

Don't hate it, but I think if you're trading McD then it's so you can resign Yandle. And who is your top 6 next year after trading McD, Yandle and Klein?

Staal-Girardi
Skjei-McIlrath
??????-??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad