Speculation: Roster Building Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Well if you need to be picked up, the Cizikas extension will make us feel better about this.

Plus, the Devils just traded a 2nd+for Ryan Graves, who just spent the entire playoffs looking like he should have been buried in his surname.

Nope.

I praise hard when I think it's a good move. (Howden trade)

And I critique hard when I think it's a bad move (here)

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yes, and that was a problem back then also. We are loaded with top wingers yet we somehow are stuck in this formula of putting a grinder in our top-6 because that's what Panarin and Strome want. Then why are we loaded with wingers? If this is the form not only has to Buch go, but one of Kakko and Kravtsov as well. There's no room.

Not necessarily.

Buch is gone, most likely. We'll get something for him though - either packaging him to try and address the center situation, getting back a C prospect or getting a middle pair LHD to tide the kids over on the blueline and give us some stability.

As far as KK, Kravtsov and Goodrow, let's wait to see how the kids develop and what kind of second deals they're looking at. If Kravtsov only gets a marginal raise on his second deal and Kakko gets bridged at like 3.5M we won't be spending very much on that right side and that's nice depth. All three can kind of play on any line in that case. That wouldn't be too bad. Obviously if KK and/or Kravtsov takes a big step and needs a bigger raise it gets more complex, but if Kravtsov is playing on the third line this year and doesn't put up big numbers, he likely won't cost too much and so far Kakko isn't on a trajectory to get a BIG second contract.

They both should be on PP2 this year. Goodrow won't play PP even if he plays with Panarin at 5v5. It's not a bad thing to have 3 well balanced scoring lines. Loading up two lines vs being able to get just as much production from Panarin with a guy like Goodrow is a good thing. The third line will have Kreider and Kravtsov on the wings, likely with Chytil in the middle. It won't be some garbage line where Kravtsov has zero chance to succeed. Chytil is going into year 4 full time. With the top two lines drawing tougher matchups a Kreider/Chytil/Krav line should be able to do some damage.

Reactions: LOFIN

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
So we’re upset about Kreider? Why is that Goodrow’s problem?

In fairness, the team should also have 3 ELC’s in their top-9 and 2 more in their top-4.
I'm not upset about anything but when you overpay Trouba and Kreider and Goodrow you start looking at the bottom line. Strome too but he's moveable.

I wanted Kreider traded 2 deadlines ago, Trouba I always felt we were going to overpay for but he filled a need because he stabilizes the blue line (did then and still does no matter what some may say).

I hope Goodrow thrives here too... but for 6 years I think that's asking a lot for a "gritty" player like him.

I also hate NM or NT clauses and I'm sure he'll get one of those as well.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Nope.

I praise hard when I think it's a good move. (Howden trade)

And I critique hard when I think it's a bad move (here)

This is fair and should be happening. I just don't think its right to try to stretch the narrative to the point where we're not even talking about the thing we should be complaining about anymore, haha.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not upset about anything but when you overpay Trouba and Kreider and Goodrow you start looking at the bottom line. Strome too but he's moveable.

I wanted Kreider traded 2 deadlines ago, Trouba I always felt we were going to overpay for but he filled a need because he stabilizes the blue line (did then and still does no matter what some may say).

I hope Goodrow thrives here too... but for 6 years I think that's asking a lot for a "gritty" player like him.

I also hate NM or NT clauses and I'm sure he'll get one of those as well.

I was also pro-trade Kreider myself. I think the team needs a player or two in the bottom-6 who knows their role. I can see them filling in young ELC’s or guys like Rooney on cheap deals around Goodrow.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I read Carp’s latest so you don’t have to.

Bullet points:

- thinks Goodrows contract is a bit too long but AAV is less than expected
- he expects the Rangers to make a big play for Coleman and maybe Cizikas
- if DeAngelo doesn’t get taken by Seattle (lol), they’re planning to buy him out Thursday
- mentioned Buchnevich as a trade candidate going into the weekend
- No mention of Strome
How does Carp know the terms? I haven’t seen anyone report them yet.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It doesn’t matter who is on Panarin’s wing as long as the top three lines all get relatively equal ES ice time and all of Kakko, Lafreniere and Kravtsov see meaningful PP time. Blackwell on Panarin’s wing is only a problem when your top 2 picks are seeing less than ten minutes of ice. Those days are behind us god willing.

Reactions: pld459666

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Just saying, this Goodrow signing we’re about to make is the move that dumb teams make.

You need to look for the next Goodrow. Not exactly Goodrow right now. Signing a warrior type to a retirement contract AFTER he won back to back cups is a rookie move thinking he’ll be the same for us. His body is broken down, and he’s already won his cups. He has nothing left to work for the same way he did for Tampa these past two runs. And not to mention he only had like 12 points in those 40 games with Tampa through their run while also averaging a penalty minute per game.

Someone like Zach Aston-Reese wouldve have been a better and cheaper target. I wanted Goodrow but I didn’t expect he’d be getting anywhere close to 4x6, thought it would be like 4 years 2.8 million which is a fair contract for him

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If Drury is in the mood for overpaying,

Call up Calgary and offer Buch, Jones, and the 15th OV for Lindholm.

I do it in a heart beat. Lindholm is signed for a few more years at 4.8M and is 55% on faceoffs. Good two way player, some physicality, would put up 80 points with Panarin. Flip Strome for a pick (late 1st?) or a vet D.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I do it in a heart beat. Lindholm is signed for a few more years at 4.8M and is 55% on faceoffs. Good two way player, some physicality, would put up 80 points with Panarin. Flip Strome for a pick (late 1st?) or a vet D.

I'm fine with that.

Call up Calgary and toss a Godfather offer at them.

Hell, do the same to Seattle for Beniers, Detroit with Larkin.

If we have valuable, expendable pieces, use it to get exactly what we need.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Just saying, this Goodrow signing we’re about to make is the move that dumb teams make.

You need to look for the next Goodrow. Not exactly Goodrow right now. Signing a warrior type to a retirement contract AFTER he won back to back cups is a rookie move thinking he’ll be the same for us. His body is broken down, and he’s already won his cups. He has nothing left to work for the same way he did for Tampa these past two runs. And not to mention he only had like 12 points in those 40 games with Tampa through their run while also averaging a penalty minute per game.

Someone like Zach Aston-Reese wouldve have been a better and cheaper target. I wanted Goodrow but I didn’t expect he’d be getting anywhere close to 4x6, thought it would be like 4 years 2.8 million which is a fair contract for him
How is his body “broken down?” He’s 29 and has played a very average number of games for his age. He also was 5th in toi for the playoffs his team won the cup in, above Cirelli, Stamkos, Palat etc

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The Rangers FO (Drury and his hats) have a lot on the plate. I bet they trade both Buch and Strome, get a C in (Eichel if they can) then the vet LD we all are expecting + another grownup for the bottom 6. Pretty much what we expected going into the offseason, but it looks like the scope of the changes will be on the larger side. I'm just hoping as many of the kids survive as possible and that the FO doesn't make any too ridiculously over the top moves.

Reactions: AirGut

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Rangers FO (Drury and his hats) have a lot on the plate. I bet they trade both Buch and Strome, get a C in (Eichel if they can) then the vet LD we all are expecting + another grownup for the bottom 6. Pretty much what we expected going into the offseason, but it looks like the scope of the changes will be on the larger side. I'm just hoping as many of the kids survive as possible and that the FO doesn't make any too ridiculously over the top moves.

Eichel would be the over the top move and if the intention is to try to keep him and Zibanejad, would be the worst move they can make. Literally would make the Goodrow contract look like Gomez for Mcdonagh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad