Speculation: Roster Building Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
if buch for horvat is on the table i do that without a second thought...buch is arguably better but we're loaded with wingers and he's going to cost too much. as someone mentioned maybe if kreider wasn't signed but with him the cap space is too valuable.

horvat is a big boy and fills a massive need as a c. now you have a 2c that can play big boy hockey. might not have the offensive instincts strome does but i'll take that for a guy who can give you production/make you competitive against heavier/high end teams. if panarin doesn't like that pairing, bump him up with mika and i guess krav to give you a more high octane scoring line and then throw laf and kakko around horvat to give you a bigger, more physical scoring line that can bully some teams down low. that would be a great balance to have in the top 6.

also...idno whats going on in van. i know they're up against it cap wise but seems like basically everyone is on the table there. locker room must have been a dumpster fire this year with their struggles coming off the bubble run. know they had injuries and covid issues but still...seems like more than that, esp if they're really shopping the guy they just put the c on.
They aren’t shopping Horvat, he is not getting traded. I have no idea where this mumbo jumbo is coming from lol
BOESER is the one who is on the table

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I just went FULL @BBKers.
SO SORRY - JUST KILL ME!

Expansion draft
The Seattle Kraken chooses Colin Blackwell

Trades
1. NYR acquire Lawson Crouse from Arizona in exchange for Julien Gauthier and a 2021 4th round pick (from OTT - #105)
2. NYR acquire Jujhar Khaira and their 2021 4th round pick from Edmonton (#115) in exchange for Alexander Georgiev
3. NYR acquire Kurtis MacDermid plus a 2021 6th round pick from LA Kings (#167) in exchange for Libor Hájek and a 2021 4th round pick (from LAK - #103)
4. NYR acquire Ryan Reaves and their 2021 6th round pick (#189) from Las Vegas in exchange for Keith Kinkaid, Anthony Bitetto and their 2021 3rd round pick (#79)
5. NYR acquire Bo Horvat from Vancouver in exchange for Pavel Buchnevich.
6. NYR acquire the 2021 1st round pick (PIT - #25) and prospect Matvei Guskov from Minnesota in exchange for Ryan Strome
7. NYR acquire the 2021 1st round pick (VAN - #9) and the 2021 6th round pick (WPG - #177) from Vancouver for their 2021 1st round pick (#15), the 2021 1st round pick (acquired from PIT - #25) and prospect Karl Henriksson.

Buyout

Anthony Deangelo
: $383,334 (cap hit in 2021/2022)

Offseason Signings

NYR sign NYR draft pick (#, 2000) C Adam Edström to a 3 year ELC
NYR sign RFA C Filip Chytil to a 2 year contract @ $2.75 M
NYR sign RFA G Igor Shesterkin to a 4 year contract @ $5.4 M
NYR qualify RFA:s Gabriel Fontaine, Adam Huska, Tim Gettinger and Ty Ronning
NYR sign UFA D Ryan Suter to a 1 year contract @ $4.500.000
NYR sign UFA FWD Barclay Goodrow to a 5 year contract @ $2.850.000
NYR sign UFA G Jaroslav Halák to a 2 year contract @ $1.500.000
NYR sign UFA D Nick DeSimone to a 1 year contract @ $700.000 (two way) for VET presence in Hartford

NYR 2021 Entry Draft (done at Draft Sim)

#9 (VAN) – Mason McTavish
#64 (BUF) – Colton Dach
#111 - Oliver Kapanen
#115 (EDM) – Roman Schmidt
#143 – Martin Rysavy
# 167 (LA Kings) – Simon Knak
# 175 – Robert Orr
# 177 (WPG) – Brody Lamb
# 189 (VGK) – Isaac Beliveau
# 207 – Joe Vrebetic

Last edited:
Reactions: Michal and Ola

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
They aren’t shopping Horvat, he is not getting traded. I have no idea where this mumbo jumbo is coming from lol
BOESER is the one who is on the table

well there goes that dream. i knew boeser was on the block, had only seen horvat mentioned here but ran with it....seemed too good to be true, not surprised it was.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I just went FULL @BBKers.
SO SORRY - JUST KILL ME!

Expansion draft
The Seattle Kraken chooses Colin Blackwell

Trades
1. NYR acquire Lawson Crouse from Arizona in exchange for Julien Gauthier and a 2021 4th round pick (from OTT - #105)
2. NYR acquire Jujhar Khaira and their 2021 4th round pick from Edmonton (#115) in exchange for Alexander Georgiev
3. NYR acquire Kurtis MacDermid plus a 2021 6th round pick from LA Kings (#167) in exchange for Libor Hájek and a 2021 4th round pick (from LAK - #103)
4. NYR acquire Ryan Reaves and their 2021 6th round pick (#189) from Las Vegas in exchange for Keith Kinkaid, Anthony Bitetto and their 2021 3rd round pick (#79)
5. NYR acquire Bo Horvat from Vancouver in exchange for Pavel Buchnevich.
6. NYR acquire the 2021 1st round pick (PIT - #25) and prospect Matvei Guskov from Minnesota in exchange for Ryan Strome
7. NYR acquire the 2021 1st round pick (VAN - #9) and the 2021 6th round pick (WPG - #177) from Vancouver for their 2021 1st round pick (#15), the 2021 1st round pick (acquired from PIT - #25) and prospect Karl Henriksson.

Buyout

Anthony Deangelo
: $383,334 (cap hit in 2021/2022)

Offseason Signings

NYR sign NYR draft pick (#, 2000) Adam Edström to a 3 year ELC
NYR sign RFA Filip Chytil to a 2 year contract @ $2.75 M
NYR sign RFA Igor Shesterkin to a 4 year contract @ $5.4 M
NYR qualify RFA:s Gabriel Fontaine, Adam Huska, Tim Gettinger and Ty Ronning
NYR sign UFA Barclay Goodrow to a 5 year contract @ $2.850.000
NYR sign UFA Jaroslav Halák to a 2 year contract @ $1.500.000
NYR sign UFA Nick DeSimone to a 1 year contract @ $700.000 (two way)

NYR 2021 Entry Draft (done at Draft Sim)

#9 (VAN) – Mason McTavish
#64 (BUF) – Colton Dach
#111 - Oliver Kapanen
#115 (EDM) – Roman Schmidt
#143 – Martin Rysavy
# 167 (LA Kings) – Simon Knak
# 175 – Robert Orr
# 177 (WPG) – Brody Lamb
# 189 (VGK) – Isaac Beliveau
# 207 – Joe Vrebetic
Wow. That lineup would be a bad night for Tommy Boy, Dillon, Hathaway and Bambi legs (if he resigns).

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Wow. That lineup would be a bad night for Tommy Boy, Dillon, Hathaway and Bambi legs (if he resigns).

LAF - Zib - KK
Bread - Horvat - Goodrow/Kravtsov
Poolman - Chytil - Kravtsov/Goodrow
Khaira - Crouse/Barron - Reaves/Rooney

Lindgren - Fox
Suter - Trouba
Miller - Nils or Schneider
MacDermid

Shesty
Halak

On D - Jones, one of Schneider/Nils, Robertsson and Reuanen all start off in Hartford

THIS TEAM WOULD MEAN BUSINES FROM DAY 1 WITH GALLANT. NASTY!

Reactions: Ola

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
LAF - Zib - KK
Bread - Horvat - Goodrow/Kravtsov
Poolman - Chytil - Kravtsov/Goodrow
Khaira - Crouse/Barron - Reaves/Rooney

Lindgren - Fox
Suter - Trouba
Miller - Nils or Schneider
MacDermid

Shesty
Halak

On D - Jones, one of Schneider/Nils, Robertsson and Reuanen all start off in Hartford

THIS TEAM WOULD MEAN BUSINES FROM DAY 1 WITH GALLANT. NASTY!
I love how Chris Kreider has just stopped existing in this scenario

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Anyone get the sense that the Howden deal was a precursor to Reaves ending up in NY? Vegas is exempt. It would make sense for them to trade for a player and not send one back until after the expansion draft.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Once again, it needs to be said: Reaves doesn't do anything well. At all. He is below replacement player level.

Please stop trying to will him onto the team.
Cmon Irish, he is real good at beating up “The Bad Guys”. Dark Slather surely wants a guy like him around, if not in the top12 then at least on the team. As a #13/#14 fwd on a deep squad he is not creating a Tanner Glass kind of situation. I think. I want MacDermid too. As a #7/#8 D. Just because we can. The Syracuse Bulldogs would almost be back - reincarnated and rising from the ashes of despair since Captain Tim beat up a ref…

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few stable ground remarks:

1. Drury will carefully plan to make the POs next season. Even if it’s maybe not a must, it’s of course everyone’s goal.

2. Long-lived successful management personnel and coaches gain a lot of success in this league by being “careful”. AV is a perfect example.
What does this mean? A lot of it is about looking at the “big picture”, which is what it takes to win game and just as importantly in a long grueling NHL regular season — not giving games away. Besides, if you start well, you get a lot of free pts later in the season since teams won’t see you as road kill.

So what does it take to start well and to not give games away? Continuity is really important. Having 4 lines and 3 D pairings, a PP and a PK not struggling. Not sure how much it matters but maybe losing TDA hurt our PP, which hurt Ziba’s start more than necessary (wasn’t all “COVID”) and all those components really hurt our start last season. Right? Hard to say what is what, but continuity can be valuable. It’s not a must, but it reduces risks.

How does this affect our off season? Strome, Blackwell and Howden can/could be upgraded. Buchnevich is in theory replaceable from within. To bring in more toughness, players must be sent out.

My conclusion? It’s going to take guts from Drury to trade Ryan Strome. Looking down the road, I think he probably should be dealt this summer. Give us time to build a new line around Panarin, bring in elements the team needs. But it’s risky.

3. Looking at how Gorton operated, I am fairly certain that trading Buchnevich would have been first priority while also playing Lundkvist in the NHL next season. Why do I mention these two names in the same sentence? It’s classic Gorton MO because he always had an eye on optimizing value. You get good value for Buch now, Kravy’s value is boosted by playing in the NHL getting good ice time. Indisputable. Giving Lundkvist sheltered ice time and having him learn from Fox, think many will see the resemblance. From a value POV, Lundkvist could take another step. It feels like a large portion of Gorton’s moves were pet peeves of him in that perspective. McQuaid, the trade carousel of netminders.

How will Drury operate? Gorton’s modus isn’t the only alternative. Ive often heard ex NHLers complain on how they had experienced that management always had its eye on the future never giving a team a chance. Many GMs and coaches prioritize differently than Gorton did. More focus on supporting what you have. Risk minimizing. What will Drury do? How will Drury operate?

For example, the answer to these questions are not given under Drury: Is Lundkvist vs Schneider primarily a question about potential value down the road for Drury or is it about setting a path for the future? A mobile defense or a bigger defense? Gorton wanted Ds that quickly could get to the puck and heavier forward who were hard to contains. A team like Tampa is built 180' differently with a big D and small forwards.
These things remain to be seen under Drury.

4. We need to beef up the front office. More chefs doesn’t result in worse soup in this regard. That type of thinking doesn’t fly. A day only have 24 hours for Drury to. Drury can pitch ideas with Slats in the big picture. Who are negotiating with UDFAs? Who is signing players for HFD next season? Who is looking for an assistant coach for HFD? Who is hiring scouts?

NHL GMs are hopeless. Before a deadline, it’s always reported how things pick up just before it and there is a shortage of time to get things done. Drury can only talk to one guy at the same time.
It’s 2 months and 14 days since Gorton and JD was fired. We have cleared house in the front office. So far we have not hired anyone to work in the front office, right? I am sure Gallant is by Drury’s side. But this is not optimal. We are — easily — short 3-4 vital management positions.
This is not optimal. I don’t give a **** if Drury risks bringing in the wrong guy if he rushes this decision. Gorton was so scared of getting someone that would be hard to work with. Get in the game. You make a mistake you can correct it. It’s Dolan’s money at worst. You might risk having someone undermine you, but that is a personal risk not one for the organization.

This could literary be the most hectic time — ever — for a NHL GM. A pandemic. Flat cap. A rebuilding team. A shortened off season. An expansion draft.
Beef up the front office Drury, yesterday. He had almost 80 days. Tic tac, tic tac.

5. We have for a long time had the philosophy to bring kids to HFD as soon as possible, get them into our control ASAP. There are pros and cons with this. It’s something I hope Drury reconsiders or at least nuances our view more.

Look at Kravy, he looked good coming back from the KHL.

6. The debate how much reliance should be put into analytics have been ongoing for close to a decade now. Many will remember that I’ve been very critical of — some views — drawn on analytic data. ‘Pionk isn’t a NHL defender’ and stuff like that.

But — if analytics was a helpful tool, but nothing more, up until a certain point — a ton of focus is put into improving it and a lot of influences comes into hockey from more resourceful sports. If it wasn’t the best call to go all into analytics in hockey 5 years ago, the coming 5 years could provide you with a different answer.

I heard Pierre McG trash analytics recently. But we shouldn’t let sins of past generations color our view of the future. I think a ton can be made in this area.

And, I also think it’s an area in which it’s beneficial to be staffed up over the ears. Or we should use consultants. Whatever. Amature scouting won’t like it have the last 5 years in 15 years, that I can guarantee.

MSG has all the resources in the world. Why isn’t 30 guys working with these things between the Knicks and Rangers?

7. The draft is upcoming. Over the decades I’ve followed hockey — trends have always had a huge impact on where good players in the draft comes from, and these trends are very volatile. A country like Sweden can have 10 awful years followed by 10 great years. Russia, Canada and the USA are hardly immune for this. Canada have destroyed some drafts in recent memory, and had some very average crops.

Germany have had some really good years. The USNDP have had so much success.

Germany is an exciting hockey country. Hockey is a very small hockey country. But Germans knows about hockey, many likes hockey. They have a society that is perfect for hockey. It’s a great show to go to hockey in Germany. Germany have slowly but surely built up their program. The Slovaks were like not only a top 7 country at its peak, it was probably up there in the top 5. Now they aren’t and probably “never” will be again. Hockey is a training sport. You will never see a mega star come from a B-tier program. It’s like gymnastics. You need the elite trained talents. The more complex a sport is, the more elite training is required. Diego Costa in Soccer is a great example. A great star at his peak. He didn’t play organized soccer before he was 15.

The fact that Germany has produced Draisatl, Stutzle and Seider is clear proof that their program is up there with the best. That will keep paying off. I really hope we pay a lot of attention on German hockey the coming years. It’s too strong words to talk about how they can rewrite the hockey map, but it could definitely be worth while for an organization that finds the right players from Germany.

8. Tampa Bay won their two most important games last season 1-0 by trapping for long stretches. We have a bad experience of trying to protect leads and never did it well under AV.
But you can’t always be on top. What does a team like Tampa have now that Colorado don’t?
I hope we can add this element under Gallant and Drury. It also helps your goalie. We can’t live on Hank being super man between the pipes. Vasilievsky has been sick for Tampa, but he also have had a rally easy ride the last years. How good would he have been for Toronto or us or Philly and the likes?

There are many cliches in hockey that are more than cliches. A lot change, but not everything. Games are won in front of both nets. I mean, if you do a good job clearing the crease in front of your own net and can win battles in front of the net in the attacking zone — you have a chance to win a game. Its also very easy to lose a game in hockey and much harder to win it.

I just think we should be much more open to being more defensive in NY. Like one thing, Kakko, Ziba and Panarin — all these guys have a lot of experience trapping and is all very comfortable doing it for stretches.

It’s not 03’ anymore, we should of course not trap all the time. But like Tampa, at times? It should be considered.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Thinking the 4th round pick we just receive for Howden gets flipped in a package for Reaves.

It will be a low 4th more like a 5th round pick. Hopefully we pick up McNabb for the 4th and include a lower level prospect for Reaves.

To much smoke not to see Reaves somehow on the Rangers this year. Someone is going to brought in because we are going to play Washington this year at some point and Tommy boy will be there.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
One thing I'd look for just based off of everything said yesterday leading up to the freeze is a trade with Calgary.

Not only has @Edge hinted at this for the better part of 2 years, it seems the flames had a ton of lines in the water. Im sure that they have some shit in place for when things open up again and it wouldnt surprise me at all if one of those trades was with us.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It really isnt the worst thing to have Reaves as a 13th forward to slot him against Washington and the Islanders. Its easy to be critical now in the offseason about 2 months removed from our last game, but you simply cannot have Tom Wilson taking liberties with your star players, your talent. No, Reaves cannot prevent Wilson from being on the ice at the same time as Panarin or Lafreniere and taking a run at them, but he does live in the back of Wilson’s mind that he will have to answer the bell if he thinks he can take advantage of us. And for someone like Wilson, who is indeed important to the Capitals success, if he gets hurt in a fight it serves them no good.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Idk about Reaves. He plays a role, does occasionally play well and will make the bonehead play. Guy is a 12 year vet. This isn’t getting Kocur at age 26.

. . . although the whole Tom Wilson issue will take on a life of its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad