Speculation: Roster Building Thread VIII (2021 Offseason Thread) - “And then there was light…”

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
the issue with zibanejad is that the team needs an immediate replacement, not prospects who might one day be a 1C
This team isn't setup on a timeline where it can wait to develop a 1C , so if you trade Zibanejad you need to find another C to trade for, and of course that involves spending assets etc and now you still have the 2C problem, etc...

I also don't think Larkin is a good/direct replacement for Zibanejad

This is 100% true, but looking around, young players are making consistent differences in playoff rounds. Look at Suzuki. They just need to key in on the right guys.

For me, I’d prefer to see a Larkin-Chytil-vet 3rd line C for a year while they develop a high end talent at center than commit to Zibanejad. I’m very concerned with how he’ll age

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
I have been around HF since 99/00 when we had SOTI giving us breaking news and inside information.

Edge, bobbop and Amazing Kreiderman add so much to this forum. I love what you all bring. If not for your insight this would be no better than any other message board and I wouldn't bother. Thank you guys for the information you provide.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’ll say this, if Kreider would return Robertson + 1st + 3rd piece and the entire board looks back and says we should have dealt him in hindsight, should we learn our lesson and look to trade Zibanejad? Yea I know the team needs centers but we’d be talking A prospect + 1st + 3rd piece more than likely.
If we were drafting McDavid or another can’t miss 1C in a couple of weeks the situations might be remotely similar.

The Kreider deal, even with this Robertson news, is only regrettable because of Lafreniere.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I’m catching up from the last thread

I’m a big fan of Gorton but he deserves to be fired for not trading Kreider for a 1st + Robertson+ from Dallas

What a whiff on that one

that trade may have won Dallas the cup last year.

I’m thinking both Gorton and JD would be here if they told Dolan the team would win next season. Guessing they stuck with the theme about the kids might not be ready. Then why did they resign Kreider? Sends a strange message to Dolan imo.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I’ll say this, if Kreider would return Robertson + 1st + 3rd piece and the entire board looks back and says we should have dealt him in hindsight, should we learn our lesson and look to trade Zibanejad? Yea I know the team needs centers but we’d be talking A prospect + 1st + 3rd piece more than likely.
The trade market is also vastly different post covid. Not sure we’d get a comparable offer for Zibby.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Maybe the idea is to trade for Larkin and use him in a package for Eichel? If that is the case then I could see why they would trade Lundkvist. Not saying Im fully convinced that Eichel is a good idea, but something important has to be moved to get him.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

no because it’s harder to get a top C

Kreider was also signed not knowing Laf would fall in their Lap

who said Robertson was offered ? Did I miss something ?

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017

1536076841-home-alone-scream.png

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This is true, so the return would be better? Will the team regret his deal similarly?

Hard to say, but I doubt we're going to trade him. Who are we getting to replace him? If we end up trading for Eichel, then maybe Mika gets moved, but that seems less and less likely. Any other center, and I think the plan will be to have that player plus Mika.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
that trade may have won Dallas the cup last year.

I’m thinking both Gorton and JD would be here if they told Dolan the team would win next season. Guessing they stuck with the theme about the kids might not be ready. Then why did they resign Kreider? Sends a strange message to Dolan imo.
This is an excellent point. @NYSPORTS - I think I vaguely remember the acquisition of Gauthier was a depth move to prepare for the possibility we moved Kreider at the deadline. I am not saying they are the same player but Gauthier was a bigger body with some speed. Then 11 am on Trade Deadline Day, JD had that press conference where they announced the Kredier extension and confirmed the traffic accident with Buch and Igor. The night before the trading deadline, Brooks wrote an article essentially preparing us for an eventual Kreider trade.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
no because it’s harder to get a top C

Kreider was also signed not knowing Laf would fall in their Lap

Yes in the last Roster thread this was brought up. Still being talked about here.

Do you know what the offer from Dallas was?

A first and Robertson. Third component escapes me right now and I am hesitant to guess and then have to chase down an error.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Well, at least Gorton is gone...I mean he'll pass on a great offer AND get out of Kreider's contract, but he'll get a shitty return for a top-6 W and a top-pair D.

All of a sudden, I don't hate Dolan as much...

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
A lot of us wanted Kreider moved and when he wasn't, my thinking was that Gorts couldn't even get a 1st plus for him at the time.

Hearing this news doesn't make me learn anything other than maybe firing Gorton wasn't that bad of an idea at all.

Yes, I realize the left side was a ? without knowing about Laf... Laf could still bust I suppose but we KNEW what Kreider was and is and even without Robertson, we should've dealt him at that point in our rebuild.

Awful mistake that keeps on giving (me headaches)

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnaby

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Robertson - Zib - Buch ($6M)
Bread - Chytil ($2.7 M) - Strome
LAF - Lundell/Holloway - KK
Kravtsov - Barron - Gauthier
Rooney - Howden - Blackbeard

Lindy - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Jones - Nils
Hajek

Shesty ($5.5 M)
Georgiev

Then trading #23 (NYR) + #30 (Dallas) + something else for a center like Lundell @ #12 (Florida) or Holloway at #14 (Edmonton) would’ve also likely happened as well…

That would have been a very interesting roster, along with ~14.5 M in cap space to boot (albeit but no Schneider then), to go into the off-season with. Imagine the possibilities… Revisionist history yes, indeed, but Jimmy Dolan knows this stuff too…
Yep, you ruined my day!

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
No one, not 1 person on here ever thought there would be a snowballs chance in hell that LaF would fall into our laps. Kreider at the time was playing the best, most motivated hockey I have ever seen him play. Even though his point totals were largely the same, he was having a tremendous impact on the overall game breakaways net front presence , chemistry with Zibby, you name It.

a first and Robertson would have been nice, especially with how robertson looks now. But fact of the matter was, we thought our string of luck had stopped with Kakko. LaF wasn’t even a fairy tale at that point. And we would have been going into the following season with panarin and what on the left side???? Hindsight is 20/20
Let’s not make up our own revisionist history. We had a young team without any real leaders. Kreids leaving would have been losing another vet in the room while still playing at a high level. Obviously now with him destined for 3rd line duty it looks like a colossal mistake, put at that time pre-covid. Pre-LaF you mind as well flip a coin

100%. CK was playing his best during this time--I have a sneaky suspicion that management wanted Kreider signed long term and wanted to make him captain of the team.

Most have thought all long Zibs/Kreider or Trouba would get the C.

A--I don't believe Zibs wanted to be captain--and then to add last season starting out poorly didn't help.

B--Kreider hit another one of his scoring slumps.

C--The incident with TDA--Trouba stepping in as some of mentioned ( We only know so much ) had a big effect on the team and management saw this.

Hence no C last season.

It really wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Trouba name captain during training camp.

Oh course now that we know what happened and what was proposed Robertson and thee 1st was most likely the better move. Can't look back only move forward.

I for one would love Larkin--hell who evens knows maybe he can come in and get Kreider to where we all wish he could go--talent/speed all still there.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

Not really because Zibanejad is the only legit C we have, he's not locked up longterm like Kreider was (yet) and Zibanejad is just an overall better and more consistent player than Kreider is.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Kreider deal, even with this Robertson news, is only regrettable because of Lafreniere.
No. It’s a case of horrible asset management and negligent GM’ing quite frankly. Taking all the names out, a rebuilding team Getting a first and a top prospect for a rental is a no brainer. This wasn’t another MZA for conditional magic beans offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad