Speculation: Roster Building Thread VIII (2021 Offseason Thread) - “And then there was light…”

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have been sitting here thinking about how easy it would be to sign a GOOD 3rd line just via UFA this offseason if the team had roster space. Bonino. Foligno. Goodrow. Nosek. Haula. The Rangers are in the unique spot of having A LOT of cap space for this upcoming season and more than likely, the season after that. It's after that season when it may get tricky. 2-year deals for guys like Foligno and Bonino would bring both a veteran presence, guys who know what you need to do consistently in this league and a stiff presence (thanks Mollie for the inspiration) to a group of younger, more skilled forwards. If Gallant than wants, he can tie them at the hip with Kreider and there is a 2nd/3rd line that should be really difficult to play against and score.

The key to this is opening up spots.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buch
Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Kaako
Howden-Rooney-Gauthier

The guys highlighted are who I would like to see monetized. One of the guys in italics are probably taken in expansion.

I keep coming back to the fact that Chytil needs to be given the opportunity to grab the bull by the horns. The team has taken kid gloves to these guys for long enough. That's not to say we shouldn't expect bumps in the road, but he has 186 games in the NHL. It's time. Either the team believes in him or it doesn't.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kaako
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Bonino-Foligno
_____-Rooney-_____

Your various projections keep excluding Barron. Why?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I wonder if Howden is at the point where he doesn't even get claimed on waivers on that day before rosters are due, and a bunch of players get put on the list. Maybe he can go to Hartford and turn his career around like Daniel Sprong did.

Howden never spending time in the AHL once he got here was stupid.

You can look at it as stupid but the Rangers had just traded away a lot of key players and didn’t really have a farm system to draw replacements from. We had Lias then, Filip the teenager and Vinni Lettieri. Howden had a good first camp with us and got a job.

Did it hurt Howden’s development? Quite probably it did. Maybe a season or two in Hartford and he would have a more balanced two way game. Now it seems like he is what he is. At that time of his rookie season though the Rangers didn’t have a lot to choose from and today he certainly seems like a player we can upgrade on. The sad thing that always comes up here on HF when we’re discussing this player though is people hating on this still very young player for shit that’s not really his fault. If he had stayed with Tampa he would certainly have gotten the development he needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad