Roster Building Thread VI (2022-23): Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Paraphrasing here but in one of the YouTube videos that was posted a hockey analyst read off Alexis Lafrenier’s 2023 playoff stat’s and in all categories the analyst read off zero after zero which lead him to say “was Lafrenier out there doing his cardio’s because he wasn’t playing hockey “.

Hello dark ages part 2

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Hello dark ages part 2

We could very well see that if this team does nothing with Panarin playing half-assed, and the kids don't take the next step because they hit their respective cieling already.

Add in every other team around us only getting better (Except maybe the Flyers and Penguins).

Why waste Igor's and Fox's prime years? It did us no good with Lundy.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Panarin to RW if we're stuck with him might be a good idea. It would make him play more straight ahead and not allow him to pull back and pirouette when he crossed the blueline with this stick towards the middle of the ice. Playing with his stick along the board forces him to get it deep more and cycle more to create scoring chances rather than look for the trailing defense off the rush. This Rangers group was dreadful at moving up the ice as a unit. There wasn't any support for Panarin from the trailers at all.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This team could very easily turn itself into an absolute menace if they would buy in to getting the puck up the ice, controlling the puck down low and creating scoring chances from low to high. Control the puck down low and move it to a defensive unit that can create chances.

If we look at the forward group as a whole, players like Kreider, Trochek, Lafreniere and Kaako are all what I would consider good around the net. Zibanejad and Chytil are good on the rush but aren't bad at it either.

Revamp the defense to a group who is more mobile and can create chances by getting pucks through and find a couple of guys who play well along the boards and at puck retrievals.

Fox and Miller are already good at this. Trouba and Schneider need work. Promote Jones and let him learn from mistakes. Trade Lindgren to bring in someone who can drive more offense from the back-end.

Lunch-pail guys. Fast. Rodriguez. Garland. Acciari. Keep it simple and facilitate the puck to the skilled players already here. It also alleviates the concern of not enough PP time.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Paraphrasing here but in one of the YouTube videos that was posted a hockey analyst read off Alexis Lafrenier’s 2023 playoff stat’s and in all categories the analyst read off zero after zero which lead him to say “was Lafrenier out there doing his cardio’s because he wasn’t playing hockey “.

9 shots, 15 hits (3rd among forwards after Trocheck and Goodrow), so I guess not ALL categories... But obviously he did not contribute on the scoreboard and he NEEDED to.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Sad our centers were drafted as centers but suck so bad at faceoffs. Do they even work at this?
There's a lot more the playing C than taking faceoffs, and I will contend that the biggest problem all 3 of them have is low hockey IQ/poor vision. Chytil and Trocheck both have horse blinders on sometimes and Mika has good D positioning but doesn't find soft spots on the ice often enough 5 on 5 to unleash his shot.

Reactions: ArPanet

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Starting at the 12:40 Mark.
Newsday, Ranger’s Beat Writer Colin Stephenson talks about the state-of-the-Rangers:

A lot of Panarin apologies. The part about Ruff is the best part. More writers should call out stupid Ranger fans for their even more stupid coach whipping boys that make no sense.

I don't think trading Lindgren should be off the table, and it has nothing to do with him, but everything to do with revamping the mix on D. If we are stuck with Trouba, then it would behoove the Rangers to pair him with someone who is extremely mobile and proficient at moving the puck.
Lindgren is both capable on his feet and a good passer. He is also adept at shaking pressure through smart and accurate reversals to his partner. The D core can become better at moving the puck up and out of the zone simply by shifting the pairs around. Stop letting the players dictate who they play with like this is a f***ing pickup game with their buddies.

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
There's a lot more the playing C than taking faceoffs, and I will contend that the biggest problem all 3 of them have is low hockey IQ/poor vision. Chytil and Trocheck both have horse blinders on sometimes and Mika has good D positioning but doesn't find soft spots on the ice often enough 5 on 5 to unleash his shot.

Maybe if this team actually skated with hustle it would have a better result. More competitiveness. It seems like they are clueless to why they lost round 1. This team cant be that stupid unless they are hiding riffs in the locker room or some cancer in the organization. no American interview from Panarin. Get this guy out of here. He is the issue in my opinion.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
How many years did it take us to get a player like Fox? And now after a bad series there are people saying to trade him.

Fox is no Leetch. Far from it. So let's kill that narrative.

If you're stuck with the NMC players, your young players don't progress any further...great! We have Fox and Shesty playing for a bubble team at best.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
we're stuck with Trouba and Panarin. Goodrow needs to be gone. one of our other non-Fox defenseman needs to be traded. I don't think it should be Lindgren but he is not a first pairing D on a cup winning team, sorry. that leaves Miller and Schneider. if you can get a middle 6 RW that drives play at 5v5 for Schneider you do it immediately. i don't know if you can, you might need to move Miller for one. there has to be a team out there with a glut of wingers that could use a young NHL defensemen. Jones needs to get a real chance and then we need one more D, one that can break out of his f***ing zone.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I was thinking someone more experienced, I like Jones but I wouldnt put him with Trouba just yet.

I like the idea of Gostisbehere is he comes in at a reasonable amount. Perhaps $3-3.5m per season. I would still play him with Schneider however and I think Jones could do well with Trouba.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Adam Fox is still one of the top D in the league, game 7 included. Every D in this league has a massive blooper reel. It's a hard position to play...forwards always have the advantage. Makar also had a nice giveaway in his series.

If we trade him, we are rebuilding for 5 more years.

Actually, I would argue that impact-wise Fox is like a 1OA.

So there you go.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Fire everyone involved in player development immediately!!! Howden was the worst forward I've seen on the Rangers since Glass until Blais and Reaves came along.

Howden was amazing against Edmonton last night. I couldn't believe my eyes.

1683222875822.png

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I like the idea of Gostisbehere is he comes in at a reasonable amount. Perhaps $3-3.5m per season. I would still play him with Schneider however and I think Jones could do well with Trouba.
I wanted Ghost at the deadline, so I would be happy to sign him but he doesn't seem like someone the Rangers would target.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Fire everyone involved in player development immediately!!! Howden was the worst forward I've seen on the Rangers since Glass until Blais and Reaves came along.

View attachment 702830
I wouldn't be upset if the Rangers signed him as a UFA. And yes, everyone in Player Development is shit.

Reactions: Go Rangers

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I was thinking someone more experienced, I like Jones but I wouldnt put him with Trouba just yet.

Understand the concern but it's time to actually let the young players sink or swim in legitimate roles. We tried it every other way.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Fox is no Leetch. Far from it. So let's kill that narrative.

If you're stuck with the NMC players, your young players don't progress any further...great! We have Fox and Shesty playing for a bubble team at best.

He has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Leetch, but Fox is still one of the top defensemen in the game today.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

View attachment 702830
Both him and Barron are players we'd trade for now. I said both were good players who needed development and never got it here. Something needs to change here and now.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If you're going to trade a defenseman to augment the forward group, keep the better player in Lindgren and trade Schneider.

He has more value. Front offices salivate over his size and what he can do at his size, even if he's hit or miss, like when we signed Trouba.
Sure I'm not against that either but really it's the top 2 pairings that need to be augmented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad