Roster Building Thread VI (2022-23): Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Trocheck and Panarin don’t work well together
Zibanejad and Panarin don’t work well together
Chytil and Panarin don’t work well together.

What’s the common denominator here?

Zibenijad
Trochek
Chytil

are all horses trotting up the middle of the ice, but not stellar playmakers. Trochek may be a fine player, but I didn't like the signing because he was more of the same and not a different look (skill wise) which imo the team needs at C.

Panarin is a one man island and doing his own thing, which doesn't help.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Panarin is back, the lines to start the season should be:

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kaako
Kreider-Trochek-_________
Panarin-Chytil-_________
Motte-_______-Vesey

Panarin will have to make it work with Chytil. That RW should be an energy player who is responsible defensively. Think Rodriguez or Garland (if he is bought out).

I would sign Connor Brown to a 2-year deal at lower cap hit to play on that 2nd line. That would make the group of Brown, Vesey and Rodriguez/Garland somewhat interchangeable to shuffle things around however all (3) of those guys jobs should be puck hounds.

I'd probably be keeping tabs on Eller, Acciari and Blueger as a 4C with the back-up plan of Brodzinski and/or Leschyshyn.

I'd also push pretty hard to re-sign Lockwood, Blidh, Gettinger and Carpenter for NHL depth

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
I wouldn’t be surprised if Kane is back next year on a cheap deal. I also don’t think they’re going to give up on Lafreniere, though you do want to see some sort of improvement. He and Miller will probably get bridge deals. Kakko has earned a the top RW spot and a place on the PP.

Jones should get another shot at the pairing with Schneider. He could QB PP2 and gives us another puck mover, something that’s desperately needed. Schneider needs to learn when to go for the big hit and when not too, because he got caught a lot.

Trocheck and Panarin just don’t work well at all together. They both produce because they’re talented, but they don’t have chemistry. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re having the same situation with Goodrow that we’re having with Trocheck very soon. Instead of trusting Chytil to be the #2C they went out and spent on a mercenary.

I’m also stating the obvious, but the organization made an absolute mess when it comes to the cap.
To be fair, COVID screwed us with the cap.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Hold Lafreniere at gunpoint and make him watch a Power Point presentation called, “The Magic and Mystique of Playing Right Wing”.
put kreider in this spot instead, nothin about kreiders game screams he cant do it on the right side

Trocheck and Panarin don’t work well together
Zibanejad and Panarin don’t work well together
Chytil and Panarin don’t work well together.

What’s the common denominator here?
laf and kakko

am i doing this right? LOL

I have said this before but if the plan is to eventually move on from Lindgren, which is something that should be on the table, then signing a good 3LD this off-season should be a priority. I like this grouping:

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Gostisbehere-Schneider

A lot better than:

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Robertson-Schneider

Too little depth.

What's wild is that it's distinctly possible that Gostisbehere will make almost an identical cap hit to Lindgren right now.

A lot of this depends on how the team sees guys like Scanlin, Emberson and Robertson. All 3 project to be more defensive d-men than bringing offense at the next level should they succeed in doing so.
i absolutely love that top 6 on the back end

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Why can't Panarin play RW? As a pass-first righty, he could benefit from passing on his forehand off the rush. Probably helps him win board battles and chip the puck out of the zone when we're stuck in our own end. He's the highest paid player by a long shot and not producing. If he doesn't like it then waive your NMC dammit!!

It's not like he currently uses the one-timer on his offside that much anyway.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Why can't Panarin play RW? As a pass-first righty, he could benefit from passing on his forehand off the rush. Probably helps him win board battles and chip the puck out of the zone when we're stuck in our own end. He's the highest paid player by a long shot and not producing. If he doesn't like it then waive your NMC dammit!!

It's not like he currently uses the one-timer on his offside that much anyway.
i agree with this whole heartedly

panarin likes the left wing so he can open up, the problem with that is he NEVER cuts to the middle of the ice anymore. he curls back up the boards

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
Zibenijad
Trochek
Chytil

are all horses trotting up the middle of the ice, but not stellar playmakers. Trochek may be a fine player, but I didn't like the signing because he was more of the same and not a different look (skill wise) which imo the team needs at C.

Panarin is a one man island and doing his own thing, which doesn't help.

I thought we got him because we sucked at face-offs?

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
i agree with this whole heartedly

panarin likes the left wing so he can open up, the problem with that is he NEVER cuts to the middle of the ice anymore. he curls back up the boards
It makes way too much sense and has never really been tried, right?

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Starting at the 12:40 Mark.
Newsday, Ranger’s Beat Writer Colin Stephenson talks about the state-of-the-Rangers:

Last edited:

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
no it hasn't, because he refuses to do it

kreider often played the right when they put them together
Then tell him tough shit that's how it's going to be. If you want to stay with NYR, you do as you're told. Enough with the coddling of this guy. Strip the A off his sweater while we're at it. We throw A's to players like Oprah.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Valli saying Lafreniere needs to put the golf clubs away, and hit the gym and focus on hockey.

I can’t believe that has to be said. If you’re not a great skater you should at least be strong and strong on the puck.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I think I can speak for all of us when I say I'm tired of this team's decisions being based around Panarin including where he plays and who he plays with in the lineup and what acquisitions we make. The way we placate the entire organization around this guy like he's the second coming of Jesus is disgraceful.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I would nerver want to trade lindgren
mcranger92 does, and most of this started with the idea of trading lindgren to pair miller with fox and then trouba with jones. that is why there is pushback. jones with schneider, who cares. that is fine, lets see what the kid has...

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I think I can speak for all of us when I say I'm tired of this team's decisions being based around Panarin including where he plays and who he plays with in the lineup and what acquisitions we make. The way we placate the entire organization around this guy like he's the second coming of Jesus is disgraceful.

I started to sour on him when it came out he politicked not to play with Kakko. For the good of the team he needed to go and help Kakko get better.

Instead a year later he takes Kravstov under his wing to work on his one timer. Kravstov did nothing and is now in Vancouver. Thanks a lot.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
And also this was exacerbated by Quinn (and then Gallant to a lesser extreme) who basically took out all his frustration/bad cop routine on the younger players while failing to hold the veterans accountable just for the sake of them not losing the room and losing their jobs.

True accountability has not been in this organization since Tortorella and now we're seeing the results.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think trading Lindgren should be off the table, and it has nothing to do with him, but everything to do with revamping the mix on D. If we are stuck with Trouba, then it would behoove the Rangers to pair him with someone who is extremely mobile and proficient at moving the puck.

You mean like Zac Jones? I've been catching flack for that suggestion all day haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad