Roster Building Thread V (2022-23): Cheese and WINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
With the benefit of a few days to simmer, I think the team is going to largely stay the same. Potentially with a new coach. There seems to be a rift between Drury & Gallant based on how GG was nearly fired in December and this alleged shouting match after one of the games last week. If Gallant is back due to a lack of better options, the whole caching staff needs to be purged and they need to bring in actual tacticians. The Kids also need to be in the top 6 and getting regular PP time. The days of giving the veterans all the premium ice time need to be over. The team needs to try something new and I know people think Laf & Kakko are busts, but they need to be afforded a sink or swim chance before next summer when the team can fully retool if needed (Trouba/Kreider NMCs).

I agree about the team being similar next year. Imo you just move laf and kakko up, Cullye and Berard maybe take the 2 empty slots. We give Jones, Robertson opportunities as well. We'll likely go like that for the year then add at the deadline again

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I agree about the team being similar next year. Imo you just move laf and kakko up, Cullye and Berard maybe take the 2 empty slots. We give Jones, Robertson opportunities as well. We'll likely go like that for the year then add at the deadline again

Yeah replace Kane and Tarasenko with Othmann & Cuylle. Bump up the Kids, Kreider & Panarin should play less at even strength. I anticipate a Goodrow move and using the cap space to make some improvements to the overall team speed. Lafreniere & Lindgren are the most in danger as roster players who could be shipped out. Laf for obvious reasons; the organization knows more than us about what they have in him.

Lindgren is tricky because he is a fan and locker room favorite but he's not a great skater or puck mover, he has finished the last 3 season injured and he is due a contract soon but still will have quite a bit of value around the league. I also think Fox could use a kick in the pants and my opinion has always been that Miller will make a huge leap playing with Fox. Mikkola can do what Lindgren does at a lower cost over the next 2-3 years and we could use his size. If I'm Drury I'd be on the lookout for another puck moving defenseman, and thats on top of the fact that Jones needs to make the team next year

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If you give Laf or Kakko PP1 minutes and put them with the best players, they will definitely score more at even strength in my opinion.

Sometimes skill players just need to handle the puck with space on the PP to get the confidence going.

I’m not disagreeing with you that Laf and Kakko are disappointing, especially compared with other players from their respective draft classes. But they certainly haven’t had the same opportunity on the PP as most of those players. It’s impossible to get much going with 30 seconds left on the PP and Trouba fishing the puck out of the D zone!
I advocated for this throughout the year. I was hard on kakko last year but he showed more this year, more engagement overall. Laffy showed less to me. And I have said this before but I think one reason laffy does not get more ice time is because he looked like he couldnt physically handle the minutes. he always looks tired. If there is any truth to the body fat percentage rumor then that would explain a lot. hard to earn prime icetime if you are not in nhl caliber shape

Yeah replace Kane and Tarasenko with Othmann & Cuylle. Bump up the Kids, Kreider & Panarin should play less at even strength. I anticipate a Goodrow move and using the cap space to make some improvements to the overall team speed. Lafreniere & Lindgren are the most in danger as roster players who could be shipped out. Laf for obvious reasons; the organization knows more than us about what they have in him.

Lindgren is tricky because he is a fan and locker room favorite but he's not a great skater or puck mover, he has finished the last 3 season injured and he is due a contract soon but still will have quite a bit of value around the league. I also think Fox could use a kick in the pants and my opinion has always been that Miller will make a huge leap playing with Fox. Mikkola can do what Lindgren does at a lower cost over the next 2-3 years and we could use his size. If I'm Drury I'd be on the lookout for another puck moving defenseman, and thats on top of the fact that Jones needs to make the team next year
Fox and Miller routinely looked like shit this year when they played together. I keep saying this, but if you move miller off the 2nd pair who is realistically playing with trouba? and will that player cost more than lindgren? most likely they will. (spare me the zac jones stuff, none of the teams we traded with last year had any interest in him, his biggest fans are on this board).

Reactions: mas0764

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yes, but as RangerBoy said Mercer’s most frequent line mates were Hischier, Tatar, and Hughes. He’s playing with the Devils better players.

Laffy and Kakko don’t get much time with Mika and Bread.
laffy has done nothing when he plays with better players. kakko has really good analytics but the production is rarely there. as i said earlier, if you watch mercer you can see he has above average nhl skills and is a player, you can literally see him stand out compared to players around him. laffy looks like a 3rd liner, kakko does not deserve to be constantly lumped in with laffy at this point.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I advocated for this throughout the year. I was hard on kakko last year but he showed more this year, more engagement overall. Laffy showed less to me. And I have said this before but I think one reason laffy does not get more ice time is because he looked like he couldnt physically handle the minutes. he always looks tired. If there is any truth to the body fat percentage rumor then that would explain a lot. hard to earn prime icetime if you are not in nhl caliber shape

Fox and Miller routinely looked like shit this year when they played together. I keep saying this, but if you move miller off the 2nd pair who is realistically playing with trouba? and will that player cost more than lindgren? most likely they will. (spare me the zac jones stuff, none of the teams we traded with last year had any interest in him, his biggest fans are on this board).

The underlying numbers on Fox/Miller are excellent according to a chart @17futurecap posted a couple pages back. I'm not a stats guy like that but it matches what I've seen on the ice. And either way, both guys are extremely talented and it behooves the organization to see what they can do playing major ES minutes together.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The underlying numbers on Fox/Miller are excellent according to a chart @17futurecap posted a couple pages back. I'm not a stats guy like that but it matches what I've seen on the ice. And either way, both guys are extremely talented and it behooves the organization to see what they can do playing major ES minutes together.
put that aside, then what are you doing for a 2ld that can transition the puck and pair with trouba? who are you getting? with what? and at what cap hit?

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result is not a path to success. LOL

I do agree that they are pretty much stuck to this roster, minus the rentals Kane/Tarasenko, barring some unforeseen circumstance where at least 1 of the NMC guys agrees to waive (unfortunately, highly unlikely).

This roster was poorly constructed with a coach that didn't match how the coach prefers to play. Too many players only want to play their own way, torpedos be damned! There need to be accountability, a change in the culture. The players almost need to police each other; someone falls out of line, there will be consequences.

This team needs speed, grit, intestinal fortitude and know how to develop younger players properly. If Chris Drury can't learn from this, then he shouldn't have the General Manager's job. Hire someone who knows how to build a successful/Stanley Cup winning team.

I think running back isn’t all that bad but minor tweaks can make a huge difference. A) ship off the goodrow contract for futures or whatever, then use the cap space for guys like Rodrigues, nyquist, Athanasiou, Eller, brown. Guys who can move up and down the lineup, play with speed and/tenacity but should cost more than 2 mil a season. Give Jones a real shot to make the team, now tbe 3rd pair won’t get hemmed in and pp2 will get trouba off of it. FFS get Trouba away from pp time. I think that gives the nyr a lot more balance and can give them a checking line while also trying to kid the kids some actual playing time. Also as much as I don’t like GG, I think it’s fine to give him one more year (esp in the hope Sullivan becomes available next season). If he comes back the assistants need to be gone. They ruined a top 5 pp from the previous season, and no way was strome that important to the pp.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
put that aside, then what are you doing for a 2ld that can transition the puck and pair with trouba? who are you getting? with what? and at what cap hit?

Zac Jones needs to get a shot. Let Trouba bring him along like he did with Miller. And beyond that Drury might need to get creative and make a move that's not obvious to us, that's his job. I think he has the pulse of what the teams needs, Kane notwithstanding. We all know that move had a unique set of circumstances around it.

Reactions: surlysailor

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
laffy has done nothing when he plays with better players. kakko has really good analytics but the production is rarely there. as i said earlier, if you watch mercer you can see he has above average nhl skills and is a player, you can literally see him stand out compared to players around him. laffy looks like a 3rd liner, kakko does not deserve to be constantly lumped in with laffy at this point.
Yeah, Kakko and Lafreneire are not the same story.

Kakko does have very obvious NHL skill when you watch him and he strikes me as the prototypical power forward that has a learning curve at this level. And I question the effectiveness to which that's being fostered.

Lafreniere looks like a guy that plays down at the park. He does NOTHING.

If you told me Kakko still has potential and the Rangers haven't done the best job, but Lafreniere was just a lemon, I would believe you.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Lets say montreal gets the 6th overall pick and offers you it for laff, do you take it?

If you think 6th is too high. If the yotes offered 12th for laff, do you take it?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Ship out the kids. I mean all of them. Laffy, Miller, Kakko, Schneider, Chytil. Maybe keep Miller. Bring in vets 25-30 year olds. More Veseys, Martinooks, Garlands, Fasts, Harpurs.

That's what the coaches want and it fits the NYR DNA. There's the identity. UFAs and 'ard workers that 'urn it.

• Haha
Reactions: surlysailor

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

Kakko does have very obvious NHL skill when you watch him and he strikes me as the prototypical power forward that has a learning curve at this level. And I question the effectiveness to which that's being fostered.

If you told me Kakko still has potential and the Rangers haven't done the best job, but Lafreniere was just a lemon, I would believe you.
Kakko you can see it. Hes so strong on the puck. That stuff cant be taught

Ship out the kids. I mean all of them. Laffy, Miller, Kakko, Schneider, Chytil. Maybe keep Miller. Bring in vets 25-30 year olds. More Veseys, Martinooks, Garlands, Fasts.

That's what the coaches want and it fits the NYR DNA. There's the identity. UFAs and 'ard workers that 'urn it.
Thats silly. You dont get older, if anything you get younger

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Lets say montreal gets the 6th overall pick and offers you it for laff, do you take it?

If you think 6th is too high. If the yotes offered 12th for laff, do you take it?
Yes to both. I tried to be patient but I'm basically done with Lafreniere at this point. Now, do I have much faith in the Rangers being able to develop whoever they take with the pick they get into an impact NHL player, that I'm not so sure about.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Lafreniere's year was disappointing but let's not forget everyone was saying the same about Kakko after his third year, that he took a step back, hadn't developed.

I expect we will see more from Lafreniere this year coming.

Will he look like a star? Probably not. I think the "will he live up to 1OA" ship has sailed.

But putting up half a point per game at 21 is still not nothing.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Thats silly. You dont get older, if anything you get younger

You can't get younger.

- The coaches hate kids
- it's not a development league.
- kids don't help with the Stanley Cup window
- the Vesey, Harpur contracts show that you don't need kids on ELCs you can go with cheap vets instead

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Zac Jones needs to get a shot. Let Trouba bring him along like he did with Miller. And beyond that Drury might need to get creative and make a move that's not obvious to us, that's his job. I think he has the pulse of what the teams needs, Kane notwithstanding. We all know that move had a unique set of circumstances around it.
zac jones cant even pin down the 3rd pair job and you want him to take millers spot with trouba on the matchup pair that generally plays against other teams best players?

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
You can't get younger.

- The coaches hate kids
- it's not a development league.
- kids don't help with the Stanley Cup window
- the Vesey, Harpur contracts show that you don't need kids on ELCs you can go with cheap vets instead
Considering peak production years are 22-25, you get younger, not older. Trying to get older makes no sense. Youre trying to gut the roster of players entering peak production years for guys on the downturn? Silly
Peak production years 22-25

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
zac jones cant even pin down the 3rd pair job and you want him to take millers spot with trouba on the matchup pair that generally plays against other teams best players?

Jones "can't" hold down the 3rd spot? Or did Gallant never give him a real shot because he's not 6 feet tall? And you can put Jones with Schneider if you like. Trouba on the matchup pair hasnt exactly given me the warm and fuzzies the last 2 years either. if anything, you're playing Fox and Miller against the other teams best players in this scenario.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Jones "can't" hold down the 3rd spot? Or did Gallant never give him a real shot because he's not 6 feet tall? And you can put Jones with Schneider if you like. Trouba on the matchup pair hasnt exactly given me the warm and fuzzies the last 2 years either. if anything, you're playing Fox and Miller against the other teams best players in this scenario.
jones has done nothing to standout with the minutes he did get, so it is hard to criticize the coaches on that, but for arguments sake lets do this

okay, so you go:
miller fox
? trouba
jones schneider

again, who is paired with trouba on the 2nd pair that can move the puck and play against other team's better players? how are you acquiring the player? what is his cap hit? and is any of that better than lindgren?

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Yeah but this is the New York Rangers.
Again, silly comment haha. You dont just say, “lets get older because its dumb and the rangers are dumb”

jones has done nothing to standout with the minutes he did get, so it is hard to criticize the coaches on that, but for arguments sake lets do this

okay, so you go:
miller fox
? trouba
jones schneider

again, who is paired with trouba on the 2nd pair that can move the puck and play against other team's better players? how are you acquiring the player? what is his cap hit? and is any of that better than lindgren?
The talk of shipping out guys like miller is laughable. I can see someone making a case for trading laff for like the 5th overall pick to the habs. But just trading these guys to trade them is so dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad