Roster Building Thread V (2022-23): Cheese and WINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yes, but as RangerBoy said Mercer’s most frequent line mates were Hischier, Tatar, and Hughes. He’s playing with the Devils better players.

Laffy and Kakko don’t get much time with Mika and Bread.
And when they have they haven't produced. Can go around is circles but even I'm 7 games you can watch mercer and see he is an absolute player, meanwhile laffy looked... Lesser by a lot

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
New York Rangers fans want to trade every 21 year old on the team away. I’m not sure we deserve to win a Cup.
There are times where trading young players make sense. I doubt TB regrets moving Drouin. In theory, the Rangers should know their young players better than anyone. They should have the best idea of a ceiling and the guys character. That’s not me saying to trade all the youth. I value youth and contract control a lot, but to act like it’s a non starter simply over a young guys age and draft slot can also be foolish.

Yes, but as RangerBoy said Mercer’s most frequent line mates were Hischier, Tatar, and Hughes. He’s playing with the Devils better players.

Laffy and Kakko don’t get much time with Mika and Bread.
On the flip side, if Lafreniere was looking like Mercer than I guarantee he would’ve gotten more opportunities.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
And when they have they haven't produced. Can go around is circles but even I'm 7 games you can watch mercer and see he is an absolute player, meanwhile laffy looked... Lesser by a lot
If you give Laf or Kakko PP1 minutes and put them with the best players, they will definitely score more at even strength in my opinion.

Sometimes skill players just need to handle the puck with space on the PP to get the confidence going.

I’m not disagreeing with you that Laf and Kakko are disappointing, especially compared with other players from their respective draft classes. But they certainly haven’t had the same opportunity on the PP as most of those players. It’s impossible to get much going with 30 seconds left on the PP and Trouba fishing the puck out of the D zone!

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Something I know for sure is that a handful of players on this team that will be returning need to really take advantage of the summer to try and get in much better physical condition.

Specifically Lafreniere and Fox. I get the impression that Laf has not taken his off seasons as professionally and seriously as he should. He seems like a bare minimum type of guy and his stagnant performance and physical limitations defitnidky reflect that. He needs to seriously dedicate this summer to training seriously to get into better shape and work in his skating.

With Fox he really seemed to fall off toward the end of the season culminating in his game 7 which was one of the worst games of his career. He really seems like he needs to get better conditioned considering how much the team relies on him. He needs to take his training more seriously and really work on improving his physical condition. These guys really need to follow a Kreider’s lead.

I really hope management mandates this going into the summer and the players are mature enough to realize they need it.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
On the flip side, if Lafreniere was looking like Mercer then I guarantee he would’ve gotten more opportunities.
The Devils were out of the playoffs by December last year. What did they have to lose by giving a talented rookie a shot on the PP?

Also it’s not like Mercer had much competition. What were the other options? Sharangovich, Tatar, Boqvist, VESEY??

The Rangers have a psycho owner who demands making the playoffs. No coach would ever take Bread, Zib, Kreider off of the PP. Strome was also pretty good in the bumper.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The Devils were out of the playoffs by December last year. What did they have to lose by giving a talented rookie a shot on the PP?

Also it’s not like Mercer had much competition. What were the other options? Sharangovich, Tatar, Boqvist, VESEY??

The Rangers have a psycho owner who demands making the playoffs. No coach would ever take Bread, Zib, Kreider off of the PP. Strome was also pretty good in the bumper.
I just hate the constant excuses. It’s not as if Kakko and Lafreniere are out there making plays and showing flashes where you think, “Gee, I’d really like to see this guy get more of an opportunity on the PP. I think they could really do some damage.” Kakko and Lafreniere can both go 10 games where you forget they’re on the ice. I think they’ll both have solid middle six careers, but this idea that they are being held back is ridiculous. They haven’t done anything that makes me pine to see them on the PP except a more recent birth date. Other good hockey clubs develop young talent. It’s not like the only way to do it is place a kid on the top line and force feed him PP1 time otherwise you’re blocking him.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I’m not saying it’s true, but if you’re correct that he can’t motivate himself because he’s not being gift wrapped PP time then he should be dealt. It’s not like he’s up in the press box or riding the bus in the minors. Start making plays and he’ll get more opportunities.

There's a couple reasons top 3 picks get thrown right into the mix on top lines in all situations, even when it looks like they are (initially) way over their heads. Reason #1 is to get the reps in and adjust to NHL speed. Force-feeding them minutes speeds up that process. Reason #2 is more important, and it's all about role and mentality. Laf, Kakko, and to a lesser extent Chytil have been developing as support players because they've been PLAYED as support players. Playing on the top line, being the guys the rest of the team rely on to get the goals and drive play is a different kind of hockey than "don't f*** up, try to play defense, and defer to the big guns whenever you get a 4 or 5 game stint in the top 6). Top 3 picks, just to even GET to that point, are used to that kind of pressure, and smart teams don't take that pressure away from them (since they've already proven, by dint of being a top 3 guy, that they can handle it).

We need to get Laf and Kakko into those big roles because they are developing like support players. The team needs to remind them who the f*** they really are, and hope it's not too late to get them back to that and develop properly.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs and CLW

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
One thing. Can we all understand that ‘getting faster’ doesn’t mean literally getting faster skaters or hiring magic barb underhill. It means *playing faster*. The players on the ice moving together, better transition game, dominating the neutral zone. Sorry…just had to get that out there.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I just hate the constant excuses. It’s not as if Kakko and Lafreniere are out there making plays and showing flashes where you think, “Gee, I’d really like to see this guy get more of an opportunity on the PP. I think they could really do some damage.” Kakko and Lafreniere can both go 10 games where you forget they’re on the ice. I think they’ll both have solid middle six careers, but this idea that they are being held back is ridiculous. They haven’t done anything that makes me pine to see them on the PP except a more recent birth date. Other good hockey clubs develop young talent. It’s not like the only way to do it is place a kid on the top line and force feed him PP1 time otherwise you’re blocking him.
Yep. I hear so much about ‘the kids’ ice time. And i get it. I agree I want those players doing more. But on the other hand, it’s not like they’re getting benched. They get a good amount of ice and so many shifts are inconsequential, pointless. If they were going out there and making hay I think they’d be rewarded. Even when they do get pp time they don’t do much with it. Anyhow, I’m not particularly down on them and I’m looking forward to seeing them next year. But it’s not so cut-and-dried.

Reactions: Gospel of Prospal

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
One thing. Can we all understand that ‘getting faster’ doesn’t mean literally getting faster skaters or hiring magic barb underhill. It means *playing faster*. The players on the ice moving together, better transition game, dominating the neutral zone. Sorry…just had to get that out there.
I think we all understand that. I'm more concerned if the FO understands that. Tuffness was the theme 2 years ago, I can see speed being the theme this year.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
And when they have they haven't produced. Can go around is circles but even I'm 7 games you can watch mercer and see he is an absolute player, meanwhile laffy looked... Lesser by a lot.

Everyone on our team looked lesser by a lot, in 4 of the games we scored 2 goals total.

There’s something rotten in NY, especially in regards to youth development.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

I agree, but having better skating technique certainly doesn't hurt. Seeing how e.g. rapidly and drastically Lehkonen's and Rantanen's skating has improved in Colorado and our guys skating in mud also highlights basic technique issues. Hire Colorado's skating guy/gal, that is if they have one and it's not Mikko milking Makar and Mackinnon for tips.

Reactions: mas0764

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
That's an interesting thought. I know Buffalo might be looking for a RD maybe we could swing Schneider for Quinn or Peterka.

You know what would happen with Quinn or Peterka here tho don't you. The issue goes deeper than just talent.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

The Rangers are caught in their own trap. Hughes didn't produce until he did. The Rangers simply cannot wait for reasons often pointed at here, including the HC not giving a shit about development.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
There are times where trading young players make sense. I doubt TB regrets moving Drouin. In theory, the Rangers should know their young players better than anyone. They should have the best idea of a ceiling and the guys character. That’s not me saying to trade all the youth. I value youth and contract control a lot, but to act like it’s a non starter simply over a young guys age and draft slot can also be foolish.
They def don't but they didn't trade him for some aging vet with a 5mil contract. They traded him for an equal young prospect that fit a need. Drouin for Serg was an equal trade esp since Drouin was at the height of his value after having 53pts in 73 games. If you were to say to me Laf for one Eklund, Dellendra, Wright, Pinto, C Geekie (I'm sure there more and better fits just off the top of my head). Then there would be a discussion.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
What does Jesper Fast want on his next deal to come back and save Panarin's ass again? The only winger he ever had real chemistry with. Letting him walk to the Canes was another JD & Gorton banger

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Yes for sure. But also, some guys need to be literally faster. Haha

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
A lot of guys on this team clearly do not take their offseason training seriously. I'm looking at Panarin, Fox, Lafreniere as prime suspects. If the team wants to actually win a Cup, and not just spout off platitudes about the "ultimate goal", they will actually commit to it in the summer. And Drury has to enforce it for once because it's always been an issue with this team.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
A lot of guys on this team clearly do not take their offseason training seriously. I'm looking at Panarin, Fox, Lafreniere as prime suspects. If the team wants to actually win a Cup, and not just spout off platitudes about the "ultimate goal", they will actually commit to it in the summer. And Drury has to enforce it for once because it's always been an issue with this team.
Yup. I have brought it up before. There needs to be a change. Vally basically confirmed it for the guys you listed and thensome. If McDavid works out all summer, then you better cause he is probably the only player in the world at this point in athletics that can take some time off and still be good.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I think most of these guys' offseason work seems to involve going shopping for new suits and getting fresh haircuts. Can we please not draft more of these kinds of players which have these kinds of priorities?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
With the benefit of a few days to simmer, I think the team is going to largely stay the same. Potentially with a new coach. There seems to be a rift between Drury & Gallant based on how GG was nearly fired in December and this alleged shouting match after one of the games last week. If Gallant is back due to a lack of better options, the whole caching staff needs to be purged and they need to bring in actual tacticians. The Kids also need to be in the top 6 and getting regular PP time. The days of giving the veterans all the premium ice time need to be over. The team needs to try something new and I know people think Laf & Kakko are busts, but they need to be afforded a sink or swim chance before next summer when the team can fully retool if needed (Trouba/Kreider NMCs).

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I actually am getting the feeling they are gonna try to run it all back minus the rentals, and maybe even the coach. And change almost nothing. Not sure if even that is affordable though.
Keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result is not a path to success. LOL

I do agree that they are pretty much stuck to this roster, minus the rentals Kane/Tarasenko, barring some unforeseen circumstance where at least 1 of the NMC guys agrees to waive (unfortunately, highly unlikely).

This roster was poorly constructed with a coach that didn't match how the coach prefers to play. Too many players only want to play their own way, torpedos be damned! There need to be accountability, a change in the culture. The players almost need to police each other; someone falls out of line, there will be consequences.

This team needs speed, grit, intestinal fortitude and know how to develop younger players properly. If Chris Drury can't learn from this, then he shouldn't have the General Manager's job. Hire someone who knows how to build a successful/Stanley Cup winning team.

Reactions: mas0764

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If Drury trades the kids he should be fired. If you watched that playoff series and came to the conclusion that this was the right avenue to take then you aren't GM material. They gave Panarin, Zib, Kane,, etc the bulk of the quality ice time and they didn't produce.

I actually think Drury's plan is quite the opposite. If he was butting heads with Gallant, I doubt he was pushing to play the struggling veterans more

Reactions: bhamill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad