Roster Building Thread V (2022-23): Cheese and WINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
People talk about moving Lindgren like it’s the boogeyman lmao

When in reality he’s replaceable

It’s Girardi all over again
I dont have an issue trading him, I am just asking who is replacing him and how and at what cost. Someone show me the replacement player for next year that can play top 4 mins, will cost less or equal to what we would get by trading lindgren, and that has an equal or lower cap hit. Someone show me that player that is getting plugged on the roster next year

Reactions: bhamill

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
A lot of guys on this team clearly do not take their offseason training seriously. I'm looking at Panarin, Fox, Lafreniere as prime suspects. If the team wants to actually win a Cup, and not just spout off platitudes about the "ultimate goal", they will actually commit to it in the summer. And Drury has to enforce it for once because it's always been an issue with this team.
Lafreniere and Fox in particular really need to get serious this summer about their training. Fox is able to get by most of the time because of his smarts but he was clearly fatigued in game 7, how did he expect to go on another 6-8 weeks of hockey after that? He needs to get in better shape.

Lafreniere needs to get series. He really seems like the type of kid who just does his normal training, takes trips, goes golfing and just enjoys his time. That's all fine but it's time for him to get serious about his training. His skating needs to improve and he really needs to get serious about his fitness so he can actually play with pace. He's a good player when he's moving his feet consistently but he only does it like 10% of the time which is why he disappears for long stretches. Get in the gym and train like Nathan MacKinnon. Do you want to be a star or do you want to be a bust? Wouldn't you want to do whatever you can to put your best foot forward?

I really hope the organization forces these players to take their offseason training seriously and Lafreniere in particular is mature enough to actually do it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hes very good with the puck, calm, collectible and eats shots. Hes worth keeping because hes not expensive
Good with the puck? Guy can’t make a pass out of the zone to save his life.

The only one I’ll give you for sure is eats shots. He eats shots and is injured half the time, that is true

Reactions: McRanger92

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hes very good with the puck, calm, collectible and eats shots. Hes worth keeping because hes not expensive
He was still injured in the playoffs, so that's a plus and a minus i guess, he wasn't his best because he was injured but at the same time he's a small guy who plays big and will likely be injured a lot.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
This is exactly how things should go.

Good piece. Agreed with most. We need better skaters and puck movers on the blue line. Zac jones should start with schneider unless something insane happens.

Cuylle othmann and sykora all play a gritty greasy type of game that we desperately need. Itll also push the vets too when they see 19-21 year olds who seemingly want it more than them. They won't want to be embarrassed and will be forced to compete.

I dont know if sykora will be ready but with this compete level, i dont think its crazy to think he could really open eyes and make the team or be called up midway through

Good with the puck? Guy can’t make a pass out of the zone to save his life.

The only one I’ll give you for sure is eats shots. He eats shots and is injured half the time, that is true
If you told me Mikkola 4 X 2.5 or lindgren 4 X 4.5, I am taking mikkola. He really impressed me

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
jones has done nothing to standout with the minutes he did get, so it is hard to criticize the coaches on that, but for arguments sake lets do this

okay, so you go:
miller fox
? trouba
jones schneider

again, who is paired with trouba on the 2nd pair that can move the puck and play against other team's better players? how are you acquiring the player? what is his cap hit? and is any of that better than lindgren?

If you think 16 disjointed NHL games is enough to evaluate a young player who fits the needs of the team, more power to you, we don't have to agree. As for the bolded, ask me again after the playoffs because we really don't have an idea of who will be available yet.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Good piece. Agreed with most. We need better skaters and puck movers on the blue line. Zac jones should start with schneider unless something insane happens.

Cuylle othmann and sykora all play a gritty greasy type of game that we desperately need. Itll also push the vets too when they see 19-21 year olds who seemingly want it more than them. They won't want to be embarrassed and will be forced to compete.

I dont know if sykora will be ready but with this compete level, i dont think its crazy to think he could really open eyes and make the team or be called up midway through

If you told me Mikkola 4 X 2.5 or lindgren 4 X 4.5, I am taking mikkola. He really impressed me
With Sykora I wonder if he is comfortable playing lower in the lineup and would it be better if he was playing in Hartford next year. Personally I'm kinda done with rushing kids in, I'd love if both he and Othmann played atleast until new years until they were called up, I'd prefer the whole year but given our cap issues its unrealistic. Cullye and Berard imo might be the guys next year to start.
I kinda doubt Mikkola is a 2.5 player anymore, probably why St.Louis moved him

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If you think 16 disjointed NHL games is enough to evaluate a young player who fits the needs of the team, more power to you, we don't have to agree. As for the bolded, ask me again after the playoffs because we really don't have an idea of who will be available yet.
let's say this another way, how many defensemen come into the nhl and immediately play a top 4 role? usually those the players that at some point in their career are in a norris conversation. now far be it for me to make assumptions but I dont think zac jones will be in that kind of group.

so again, you want to take a player with "16 disjointed nhl games" and put him onto your 2nd pair bc you traded away lindgren with no real plan. if you want to push for jones on the 3rd pair with schneider then i am all ears and we can watch him be manhandled again in his limited minutes, but suggesting he is going to be trouba's partner next year bc you traded lindgren to move miller with fox is borderline irresponsible and legitimately sets up jones to fail right out of the gate.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Lets say montreal gets the 6th overall pick and offers you it for laff, do you take it?

If you think 6th is too high. If the yotes offered 12th for laff, do you take it?
Hell yes and yes.

People talk about moving Lindgren like it’s the boogeyman lmao

When in reality he’s replaceable

It’s Girardi all over again
I 100% cash out now this summer if the Rangers can get a 1st or two high 2nd's for him.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Imo we have to stop with the old Ranger ways and build up the players we have instead of constantly flying in help. We have the pieces in the organization, I mean we have Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Othmann, Cullye, Sykora, Berard etc up front for kids and down back Jones and Robertson should be able to compete for the LD spot but all those guys need to be put in a position to succeed, that starts with the offseason, a detailed training regiment taylored to each player and it continues into next season with more opportunities on the pp. We fed Panarin and Trochek pp opportunities all year and what did that get us? First round exit and we still dont know what the kids are or if they can handle a pp. It's mind boggling really that we seriously wasted another year of development Nd experience on a bunch of guys that will likely be too old to contribute when the team is actually ready for a consistent cup run.

Reactions: CLW and McRanger92

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
This is exactly how things should go.

Good article and accurate. We should just run this out next year:

Laf-Chytil-Kakko
Panarin-Z-Othmann
Kreider-Tro-Vesey
Cuylle-Brod-Goodrow

Miler-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider

That's a faster lineup already. If anything, move Goodrow and get Sturm and resign Motte. Keep it simple and give the players that the Ranger drafted a chance to be the players the Rangers need.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
let's say this another way, how many defensemen come into the nhl and immediately play a top 4 role? usually those the players that at some point in their career are in a norris conversation. now far be it for me to make assumptions but I dont think zac jones will be in that kind of group.

so again, you want to take a player with "16 disjointed nhl games" and put him onto your 2nd pair bc you traded away lindgren with no real plan. if you want to push for jones on the 3rd pair with schneider then i am all ears and we can watch him be manhandled again in his limited minutes, but suggesting he is going to be trouba's partner next year bc you traded lindgren to move miller with fox is borderline irresponsible and legitimately sets up jones to fail right out of the gate.

So Jones can't play with Trouba because he'll get caved in, but play him with Schneider so he can get caved in? Just say you dont like Zac Jones. All I said was I'd like to see him get a real chance, not whatever Gallant did last year to pander to the front office and then bench him for Ben Harpur. He's played almost 150 pro games at 22 years old. Time to give him some run.

And I'm not trading Lindgren to make room for Jones, I'm trading Lindgren because he's a year away from being overpaid and I'd like to capitalize on the value he has despite being a one dimensional player. Sign Mikkola to replace him. He can actually skate up ice with the puck and provide size and defense.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So Jones can't play with Trouba because he'll get caved in, but play him with Schneider so he can get caved in? Just say you dont like Zac Jones. All I said was I'd like to see him get a real chance, not whatever Gallant did last year to pander to the front office and then bench him for Ben Harpur. He's played almost 150 pro games at 22 years old. Time to give him some run.

And I'm not trading Lindgren to make room for Jones, I'm trading Lindgren because he's a year away from being overpaid and I'd like to capitalize on the value he has despite being a one dimensional player. Sign Mikkola to replace him. He can actually skate up ice with the puck and provide size and defense.
so you are suggesting schneider and trouba play against the same caliber of matchups?

come on, youre smarter than that...

Reactions: RagFinMet

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Good article and accurate. We should just run this out next year:

Laf-Chytil-Kakko
Panarin-Z-Othmann
Kreider-Tro-Vesey
Cuylle-Brod-Goodrow

Miler-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider

That's a faster lineup already. If anything, move Goodrow and get Sturm and resign Motte. Keep it simple and give the players that the Ranger drafted a chance to be the players the Rangers need.
How’s it faster? You added 2 slow guys lol (Othmann & Cuylle) And Jones who is an average skater. And Brod who is a bit speedy I guess

Reactions: gravey9 and Savant

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
How’s it faster? You added 2 slow guys lol (Othmann & Cuylle) And Jones who is an average skater. And Brod who is a bit speedy I guess
Literally none of those players are slow. If you don't watch them just say so. I know they aren't Krav fast, but few players in the world are.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
so you are suggesting schneider and trouba play against the same caliber of matchups?

come on, youre smarter than that...

Im talking about roster construction, I'll care about matchups and D pairs more when the season is starting. The team needs puck movers, Zac Jones is literally a free puck mover. He deserves a shot. The rest is irrelevant until September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad