Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I would make myself available to the Panthers in a Hoffman trade. 1 more year, just over $5m, plays both wings, consistent production.

How much would Florida really want in return when they really want to sign Panarin? Probably promising Q that they would give it their best shot. They presumably want Bob too.

This is a chance to get a bargain, turn him into another big return at the deadline, and keep the cap flexibility in the future.

Reactions: Ola and rangers1314

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would make myself available to the Panthers in a Hoffman trade. 1 more year, just over $5m, plays both wings, consistent production.

How much would Florida really want in return when they really want to sign Panarin? Probably promising Q that they would give it their best shot. They presumably want Bob too.

This is a chance to get a bargain, turn him into another big return at the deadline, and keep the cap flexibility in the future.

There were some rumors they would look to move Huberdeau, but I can't imagine that's true anymore with him having put up 92 points this year.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I think trading Kreider for more assets is the smarter play at this point. Use those assets (or others) in a year or two when the right player becomes available.

I really like the idea of:

Crouse + ARI 1st '19 + ARI 4th '21 (conditional 1st if Kreider re-signs OR is dealt at the 2020 deadline)
for
Kreider + Vesey/Fast

Crouse gives the Rangers a young power forward who would be a unique addition to the organization. Someone who can both play the game and can impose his will a bit on the opposing teams defensemen. Lemieux was a good start in that regard.

I was thinking the same kind of offer.

My thinking is if one of:

Zegras
Turcotte
Boldy

Fall in the draft the Rangers could get one of these players at 14. Or seeing how it doubtful Zegras falls that far package a 2nd ( not ours ) and Arz pick and move up.

Last I know most go and forth but if were trading CK I personally would try to sign Pararin not only to play along side Zbad but to pick up the production that CK would have done.

Pararin if he'd sign in the 8.5 range would be a steal. 2 years when we start rolling he will still be a very important part of this process.

Also I would try hard for Fox as Carolina is in a tuff situation knowing he's leaving and will want something in return--offer a 3rd if they say no wait it out.

Reactions: charliemurphy

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
There were some rumors they would look to move Huberdeau, but I can't imagine that's true anymore with him having put up 92 points this year.
He's on a nice contract, that doesn't make a ton of sense with Q coming in. There were rumors they were trying to move Hoffman too. Something has to give with their cap and aspirations.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its pretty curious that the UFA who come here for 7m per and shows up out of shapes and plays like crap gets a total pass while ankid like Neal Pionk who steps up to the plate to fill a role nobody else can fill on the roster despite its far from optimal for him is generally hated.

One cup in 80 years. Maloney defended Shatty on his and Giaconnes latest podcast. It’s the NYR way. These guys should be calling for Gorts head to get rid of Shatty. It should just be totally unacceptable to sign big deals as a vet and then show up out of shape. Brendan Smith also gets a ton of support. Makes a lot of money, showed up really out of shape last season.

Sometimes you get what you deserve.

Reactions: belford222

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I’m going to throw out an alternate option, despite me wanting Panarin. Say he does indeed go play for Q in Florida, why not target Gusev or Kaprizov? I know Vegas was closer to bringing their kid over compared to Minnesota, but both are absolute studs in the KHL and would be instantly cheaper than Panarin.

Idk what the cost would be, but I’d hope Gorton is at least looking into a savvy move like that.

Speaking of Gusev:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Interesting idea, of Kreider goes we need to get another vet winger. Hoffman could be a good placeholder and fetch a good return at the deadline. At least if we don’t want to pursue EK... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: DutchShamrock

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Some on twitter have said our rebuild is effectively done if we add Kakko/Hughes, and that it just becomes a matter of waiting for the flower to blossom.

Not sure I agree. It's close.

I see a ton of depth -- Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lemieux, Buchnevich, Barron, ADA, Hajek, Lundkvist, Reunanen, and many more, particularly on defense.

I also see a core starting to form -- Zibanejad, Kakko/Hughes, Georgiev/Shestyorkin, Miller (who I really believe in).

That said, I think we need one more great talent to add to the core. It'll do us a ton of good to be bad one more year and pick top 10 again in an even better draft than this one is.

And if we're playing the time game, then we'll probably be bad anyway. So just don't buy and stay the course.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Enough baggage to keep a jumbo liner on the ground....

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Some on twitter have said our rebuild is effectively done if we add Kakko/Hughes, and that it just becomes a matter of waiting for the flower to blossom.

I see a ton of depth -- Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lemieux, Buchnevich, Barron, ADA, Hajek, Lundkvist, Reunanen, and many more, particularly on defense.

I also see a core starting to form -- Zibanejad, Kakko/Hughes, Georgiev/Shestyorkin, Miller (who I really believe in).

That said, I think we need one more great talent to add to the core. It'll do us a ton of good to be bad one more year and pick top 10 again in an even better draft than this one is.

And if we're playing the time game, then we'll probably be bad anyway. So just don't buy and stay the course.

Kravstov

Reactions: Machinehead

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Speaking of Gusev:

Capfriendly has Calgary signing the Russian keeper the other day. There is maybe 1-2 exceptions, but the last like 5-7 years basically no Russians have joined a NHL team after the KHL season.

The Russian and NA reporters always talks about how that is because their contracts runs through April. That is nonsense. If the KHL players could go to the NHL after the KHL season ended Russia wouldn’t get a team for the WCH. All other nations has put a halt to that too, unless the player is signed and only loaned to SHL team in Sweden for example.

Due to the above confusion nobody is asking the right questions. Is there a rule from the KHL/the Russian hockey federation to not release a player? Can exceptions be made for kids not picked on the national team? And so forth.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

100% with you, just because these kids played a lot in the NHL this past season doesn’t mean they’re ready to be consistent players you’d need to rely on to start pushing for the playoffs. And Kakko is a great get, but outside of the tippy top prospects of this era, these kids don’t come in and take a team over in their first year. The good thing about next year’s draft is you don’t need a top 2 pick to get another one of these kind of players, but you do need to be somewhere around 5, so there’s more margin for allowing the team to take some positive steps.

Also the defense is still going to suck for 2 more years, so they’re kind of limited in that regard

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

We have a few guys with superstar potential. Kakko obviously. Shesty. Next two closest (but longer shots, IMO) are Kravtsov and Miller.

Getting another guy with superstar potential (with a fairly high likelihood of becoming at least a first liner/first pairing d-man) would be huge. Getting two (probably via trading back up into the top-1o this year and getting a top-5 pick next year) would be gigantic. Even though it seems the top 10 this year (and top-5 next year) are F heavy, I think we really need to find another potential top-pairing d-man.

Like you said, Gorton has done a very good job of acquiring all the quality depth pieces. Some won't work out. We don't need them all to. Now, it's time to go big fish hunting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We have a few guys with superstar potential. Kakko obviously. Shesty. Next two closest (but longer shots, IMO) are Kravtsov and Miller.

Getting another guy with superstar potential (with a fairly high likelihood of becoming at least a first liner/first pairing d-man) would be huge. Getting two (probably via trading back up into the top-1o this year and getting a top-5 pick next year) would be gigantic. Even though it seems the top 10 this year (and top-5 next year) are F heavy, I think we really need to find another potential top-pairing d-man.

Like you said, Gorton has done a very good job of acquiring all the quality depth pieces. Some won't work out. We don't need them all to. Now, it's time to go big fish hunting.
Yeah, their upside is crazy, but they're not as safe as a Kakko/Shesty. Maybe Miller and Kravtsov just become good.

I want at least one more guy who's safer to become a star so we don't have to worry about Kravtsov and Miller, or at the very least, it gives us another bullet in the chamber.

And then if Kravtsov and Miller hit their ceilings anyway, we win like 58 games. Who's complaining?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

Some of it is semantics, like when does the rebuild officially end? Personally, I still see some ripping out to come and I don't know that we are truly on our way until that happens. Everyone has players on the way out, but we have NMCs with Staal and Lundqvist, partials with Smith and Shattenkirk. I'm not convinced we can make a go with that much cap and roster committed to that many passengers.

Kakko definitely solidifies the foundation a ton. June 21 and 22 will answer a lot of questions about the future. If we gut any more including Kreider, Vesey, Namestinkov, it will probably happen then. We will also see if we landed a blue chip center or D.

That gets us a lot closer to July 1, so a few teams may have made a move (hopefully with us) to fix their RFA situation. Especially Toronto and Winnipeg.

Long answer short, I think Gorton makes a move or two to add a young, NHL established player. Not a big UFA guy. I become more comfortable with a modest add since roster unknowns become known. At least our projected core is easier to forecast and we aren't adding redundant parts with huge long term obligations.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Yeah, their upside is crazy, but they're not as safe as a Kakko/Shesty. Maybe Miller and Kravtsov just become good.

I want at least one more guy who's safer to become a star so we don't have to worry about Kravtsov and Miller, or at the very least, it gives us another bullet in the chamber.

And then if Kravtsov and Miller hit their ceilings anyway, we win like 58 games. Who's complaining?
And like you said, next year's draft is so good we don't even need to win the lottery to get a franchise player assuming we finish low enough, which I think we will naturally if we just avoid rash decisions like signing Panarin/EK65.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island

a top 5 pick next year and we are golden

id rather trade kreider for an unprotected first next year from the oilers...watch them fall apart and get another top 5 pick on top of ours, next years draft is stackedddddd

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

We have 61m comitted for next season. Buch, Lemieux, Pionk and DeAngelo are RFAs. If we keep them for less than 12m, Gorts is probably making some big blunders with bridge deals. But let’s assume that 12m to keep them.

That puts us at 73m. Kravy and Kakko at 3m per, 79m but 4m can be deferred to next season. Prolly not reached anyway, so it’s 75m.

That’s with a 23 player roster. Is Namestnikov tradeable? How Vesey at 2.75?

Gorton can probably not trade Shatty, he would be crusified by all Shattys friends in the organization and fans. Smith and Staal are I tradeable, unless they can go with max retention. Everyone are counting on us to be able to dump all those contracts, I believe it when I see it. Names and co.

To be honest, I just don’t get the notion that we just could stop getting lottery picks if we wanted. I believe that the road ahead is much tougher than what is assumed.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Some of it is semantics, like when does the rebuild officially end? Personally, I still see some ripping out to come and I don't know that we are truly on our way until that happens. Everyone has players on the way out, but we have NMCs with Staal and Lundqvist, partials with Smith and Shattenkirk. I'm not convinced we can make a go with that much cap and roster committed to that many passengers.

Kakko definitely solidifies the foundation a ton. June 21 and 22 will answer a lot of questions about the future. If we gut any more including Kreider, Vesey, Namestinkov, it will probably happen then. We will also see if we landed a blue chip center or D.

That gets us a lot closer to July 1, so a few teams may have made a move (hopefully with us) to fix their RFA situation. Especially Toronto and Winnipeg.

Long answer short, I think Gorton makes a move or two to add a young, NHL established player. Not a big UFA guy. I become more comfortable with a modest add since roster unknowns become known. At least our projected core is easier to forecast and we aren't adding redundant parts with huge long term obligations.
I think that's a bit of a blurred line. You can being progressing towards a finished product and still have guys to sell.

I too would be on board with a young, NHL add, in the vein of Lemieux or ADA.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We have 61m comitted for next season. Buch, Lemieux, Pionk and DeAngelo are RFAs. If we keep them for less than 12m, Gorts is probably making some big blunders with bridge deals. But let’s assume that 12m to keep them.

That puts us at 73m. Kravy and Kakko at 3m per, 79m but 4m can be deferred to next season. Prolly not reached anyway, so it’s 75m.

That’s with a 23 player roster. Is Namestnikov tradeable? How Vesey at 2.75?

Gorton can probably not trade Shatty, he would be crusified by all Shattys friends in the organization and fans. Smith and Staal are I tradeable, unless they can go with max retention. Everyone are counting on us to be able to dump all those contracts, I believe it when I see it. Names and co.
If Kakko is what scouts say he is, he should never make 3 million. Give him a legit salary on a max-length contract. $9 x 8, for example. That turns into a bargain in 4-5 years when the top talent is getting 15 per. Don't bridge your core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad