Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
He left 2 million/year on the table - of course it's a discount.

But, since we're talking semantics ("endorsements" in Toronto vs. San Jose) then maybe you should consider the considerably higher tax rate in Ontario vs. the United States as well when making these types of arguments.

Tavares took less to play where he wanted to play. It's cut and dried.

The fact of the matter is he is still being paid an average of 12 million dollars a year. In a high tax city. He took a "discount" but that contract isn't doing Toronto any favors with making sure the rest of their roster is signed and complete.

Reactions: egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So if you are Panarin do you want to spend the next several years of your career playing in front of a half empty building in beautiful Miami or would you prefer playing in an atmosphere like last night in the world’s greatest city? Asking for a friend...

Fort Lauderdale is closer to Sunrise than Miami - Miami, on a good day, is about an hour away.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The fact of the matter is he is still being paid an average of 12 million dollars a year. In a high tax city. He took a "discount" but that contract isn't doing Toronto any favors with making sure the rest of their roster is signed and complete.

If you want elite players, you have to pay them.

Reactions: TheTakedown

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Oscar Lindberg said:
Some of these guys are so desperate to be right on this lol

Rangers will be in on Panarin. Whether or not they sign him is a different story, but you’re kidding yourself if you think they won’t be involved at all

No one has said this.

The extent to which they'll be in on him has come into question. I personally don't see them being too keen on handing him a huge contract.

I also don't think hes as obsessed with playing for the Rangers as some do. I'm sure he likes New York, but he likes other places too (New York also has more than one team.) I'm also pretty sure he likes winning, which isn't happening here for a while, with or without him.

OTOH, if they want a fanny in the seats type move that actually would get people excited, EK is the guy, not Panarin. Most people have no clue who Panarin is.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
So if you are Panarin do you want to spend the next several years of your career playing in front of a half empty building in beautiful Miami or would you prefer playing in an atmosphere like last night in the world’s greatest city? Asking for a friend...

That I don't know. I would prefer the latter, but you never know with players. Lifestyle matters. I was hanging out around the beaches in LA where the Kings live. Some of those guys will not give up that lifestyle for anything.

If you can have win it's something else. Tampa has a little hockey commune, and there are a ton of New Yorkers there that are Ranger fans that root for the local team.

Reactions: leetch99

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The same friend wants to know if he’d rather play for a team with a ton of young exciting talent or a team that is the 2nd worst in all of hockey since the trade deadline and likely a bottom 5 team overall?

Why are we limiting his options to just NY and Florida?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The same friend wants to know if he’d rather play for a team with a ton of young exciting talent or a team that is the 2nd worst in all of hockey since the trade deadline and likely a bottom 5 team overall?

I think Friedman said recently that LA is #1, but he’s not sure how they get it done

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
OTOH, if they want a fanny in the seats type move that actually would get people excited, EK is the guy, not Panarin. Most people have no clue who Panarin is.
This is not directed at you, just regarding selling tickets. If the first and only goal was to put fannies in the seat, there is no rebuild. If you want to put fannies in seats, you need to field a competitive team, not simply sign a star player. Add Panarin to this team next year, and while they may be better, they are still not competing for anything other than to see how high of a draft pick they get. Ergo, same fannies in seats issue.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is not directed at you, just regarding selling tickets. If the first and only goal was to put fannies in the seat, there is no rebuild. If you want to put fannies in seats, you need to field a competitive team, not simply sign a star player. Add Panarin to this team next year, and while they may be better, they are still not competing for anything other than to see how high of a draft pick they get. Ergo, same fannies in seats issue.

I agree with you.

I don't think they're hurting as much in that area as some would like to believe. They're still going to end up selling most of their tickets, the Garden will not turn into a Prudential Center esque ghost town.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
His market value based on what SJ was willing to offer him, and also the Islanders offered him more as well if I remember correctly was higher than the contract he took from Toronto, therefore it was a discount, it doesn't matter whether his contract is still relatively high compared to the rest of the league. When it comes to the Leafs cap situation, maybe take a peek at the 6.25M cap hit for a 40-year old 40 point scorer like Marleau or the 4.5M cap hit to a scrub like Zaitsev. Those are the contracts that are causing issues, not signing a 28-year old star player for 11M.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Sure. But signing an elite player to a long term, very expensive deal that will be rife with NMC/NTC has to be at the right time. Next year on the Rangers is not it.
You're slightly setting up a strawman here. You're comparing it to an absolute perfect scenario.... It would be amazing to sign an elite UFA, that's 25 in 2-3 years. That's not likely to happen though.

There's a discrepancy between players like Parise and Suter, compared to Panarin. They were good players, not great. I'd say Panarin is closer to a Hossa.. Offensively, I'd say Panarin is better. These players just don't come around often.

Next year ( or two for that matter ) is about playing in meaningful games in March. The kids would benefit greatly IMO
Year 3-6/7 is about contending.

I don't understand the issue. All I see are hypothetically unlikely scenarios. 'Well, a better thing might come along' ... Ok, if we're speculating, the odds are against that scenario coming to fruition.

Reactions: pld459666

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You're slightly setting up a strawman here. You're comparing it to an absolute perfect scenario.... It would be amazing to sign an elite UFA, that's 25 in 2-3 years. That's not likely to happen though.

There's a discrepancy between players like Parise and Suter, compared to Panarin. They were good players, not great. I'd say Panarin is closer to a Hossa.. Offensively, I'd say Panarin is better. These players just don't come around often.

Lol what?

Parise was 1000000% on the level of Panarin when he signed, ditto Suter who is a legitimate top pair D.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

In the grand scheme of things..what a random, small, short-sighted time frame to base the future of this team on.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
In the grand scheme of things..what a random, small, short-sighted time frame to base the future of this team on.

It's the type of roster he'd be walking onto.

Makes more sense than pretending that he'd be joining the team that started the season.

But this is a bottom 5-7 team this year no matter how you shake it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad