Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Enough baggage to keep a jumbo liner on the ground....
That's alleged baggage, and I think the accusations became weaker since the SJ/FLA trades. It definitely quieted down significantly, he played great again, and his contract ends this year. So locker room cancer, if it is true, has an expiration date for us and any renters.

I appreciate any reservations and concede that there exists a chance it sours, but I really like the risk/reward.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
If Kakko is what scouts say he is, he should never make 3 million. Give him a legit salary on a max-length contract. $9 x 8, for example. That turns into a bargain in 4-5 years when the top talent is getting 15 per. Don't bridge your core.

And frankly, if Kakko isn't what scouts say he is, our rebuild likely fails.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If Kakko is what scouts say he is, he should never make 3 million. Give him a legit salary on a max-length contract. $9 x 8, for example. That turns into a bargain in 4-5 years when the top talent is getting 15 per. Don't bridge your core.

That was his ELC, what will the cap hit of Kakko and Kravys ELCs be? Is it just 925k? Doesn’t the potential bonuses count anymore?

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I would make myself available to the Panthers in a Hoffman trade. 1 more year, just over $5m, plays both wings, consistent production.

How much would Florida really want in return when they really want to sign Panarin? Probably promising Q that they would give it their best shot. They presumably want Bob too.

This is a chance to get a bargain, turn him into another big return at the deadline, and keep the cap flexibility in the future.
hoffman is a stud, legit sniper

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Capfriendly has Calgary signing the Russian keeper the other day. There is maybe 1-2 exceptions, but the last like 5-7 years basically no Russians have joined a NHL team after the KHL season.

The Russian and NA reporters always talks about how that is because their contracts runs through April. That is nonsense. If the KHL players could go to the NHL after the KHL season ended Russia wouldn’t get a team for the WCH. All other nations has put a halt to that too, unless the player is signed and only loaned to SHL team in Sweden for example.

Due to the above confusion nobody is asking the right questions. Is there a rule from the KHL/the Russian hockey federation to not release a player? Can exceptions be made for kids not picked on the national team? And so forth.

It's not nonsense. When players are younger, the KHL team is not going to release that player and lose their KHL rights. The teams want to retain the rights in case there's an NHL lockout or if the player wants to return. With Gusev there's no reason to retain his rights because those rights expire when he turns 27, that's why SKA released Gusev, but not Shestyorkin

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How many players must go for us to be able to fit in Panarin? Which contracts does Gorts need to get rid of?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Some on twitter have said our rebuild is effectively done if we add Kakko/Hughes, and that it just becomes a matter of waiting for the flower to blossom.

Not sure I agree. It's close.

I see a ton of depth -- Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lemieux, Buchnevich, Barron, ADA, Hajek, Lundkvist, Reunanen, and many more, particularly on defense.

I also see a core starting to form -- Zibanejad, Kakko/Hughes, Georgiev/Shestyorkin, Miller (who I really believe in).

That said, I think we need one more great talent to add to the core. It'll do us a ton of good to be bad one more year and pick top 10 again in an even better draft than this one is.

And if we're playing the time game, then we'll probably be bad anyway. So just don't buy and stay the course.

What else happens in our first round will have an impact, but I’d feel a lot better with one more top ten finish next year in an absolutely loaded top of the draft.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's not nonsense. When players are younger, the KHL team is not going to release that player and lose their KHL rights. The teams want to retain the rights in case there's an NHL lockout or if the player wants to return. With Gusev there's no reason to retain his rights because those rights expire when he turns 27, that's why SKA released Gusev, but not Shestyorkin

It’s nonsense. They don’t need to release them. What are they going to do, sue for damages? The teams can’t care less what the players does 2-3 weeks after the season.

If that is stated as the reason it’s not the real reason.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It’s nonsense. They don’t need to release them. What are they going to do, sue for damages? The teams can’t care less what the players does 2-3 weeks after the season.

If that is stated as the reason it’s not the real reason.

Yes it is. Traktor is not releasing Kravtsov's rights because those rights are worth a lot in the KHL.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Im' pretty sure @Ola's talking about next year on an ELC with max incentive bonuses, not his second contract...

Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad