Salary Cap: Roster-building thread Part XXXVI | Light up this dumpster fire! Light em up up up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Pens have had some awful luck with Letang and Maatta and Dupuis. That made things pretty dicey this year. Now the question is can the Pens do what they need to do and dump high cost contracts through trade or buyouts. Yes that is easy in a sense. The next issue is an organizational change. Tell the GM the Pens need to get younger, faster and bigger. The priority is to quit trying to win a cup by making trades and or decisions that go nowhere. The last step is to actually hire a GM and coach who grasp that the future is draft and development and not fooling themselves that Sid and Geno are not declining assets. They are and only a change from keeping the older car running, to considering a new car is what is needed.

So basically we need a coach that can see his players are getting ****ed. Tippet, McClellan and Babs are the ones that come to mind. Good god if we could get Tippet or Babcock...I would be ecstatic

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Not sure Babcock would come here but Tippet is one coach I wanted to go after but the Pens kept Danny boy. Assuming they are off the block, fire MJ and for me at least get a guy who will bring a no nonsense approach to the roster. Not the best but Randy Carlyle is available and has won a cup and did have Toronto one period from beating Boston two years ago until Toronto took away his authority for not kissing Kessels and others butts. He is gruff and has faults, but if he has management behind him to toughen the roster and allow him time to develop and help DP with his defense, then he is not the worst choice.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'd actually really like Tippett, but i feel like it's a year too late.

54028689.jpg

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
No it's 2/3 of the remaining contract, which gets spread out over 4 years. You don't take the annual cap hit, multiply it by 2/3, double the years and each year gets set equal to the 2/3 result.

I think because his salary varies in the last two years it's not evenly spread out. If I'm remembering capgeek correctly its like 1.1 for the next two years then 0.9 the following two years, or vice versa. It is definitely worth it.

Yeah I read that wrong. His salary is 3 and 2.5 mil in the last two years. It's definitely worth it to buy him out. No excuses this summer to still have this guy on our list.

Last edited:

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
This could have been our playoff roster:

Saad Crosby Hornqvist
Perron Malkin Forsberg
Downie Sutter Bennett
Spaling Lapierre Comeau

Maatta Letang
Martin Cole
Despres Scuderi
Dumo

:(

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
When Letang's career is over very soon you can bet the same people who are dreaming now of Forsberg will be saying aren't they lucky they drafted Pouliot instead.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Because Scuderi is over 26 the buyout is 2.25 for 4 years so its not really worth it. Surely someone would take him at 50%?

That pass to Lovejoy in Game 1 was typical Scuderi. No pressure, 10 ft pass and he misses the stick by a couple of feet :cry:. Maybe buyout is the only option or keep him a don't play him.....yeah right like thats going to happen :cry::cry:

Buyout for over 26 is 2/3 of the remaining contract value spread over twice the number of remaining years.

3.375 x 2 = 6.75 x 2/3 = 4.5 / 4 = 1.125M

Apparently Burkle and Lemieux believe in their core. Crosby, Malkin, MAF, Letang. Kovacevic was insistent he talked to those two and they won't trade those guys, unless one of them asks out. That would be my only concern, especially Crosby. The pressure to win is greatest on him and he may have had enough of this monkey org ****ing with his legacy.

They had trouble last season selling playoff tickets as well. Maybe the avg fan isn't buying into the propaganda as much as we think.

If they are playing their youth, cap space won't be such a big deal. I still think Scuds can be moved if they retain 1-1.5m.

Move Scuds and a sweetener for a journeyman AHLer or an NHL player with a contract that can be buried. We know the Oilers covet Sutter (hopefully they go blueline this draft). Trade Sutter to the Oilers and send them Scuds as a cap dump.

Oilers would probably bite if JR is worth his salt.

You had me right up until that ending. :cry:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Babcock is someone that I believe that the entire organization needs. From front office to the players. If Burkle is not happy after this playoffs, I can see him making the push for him. It makes a lot of sense. The GMs don't quite know what they're doing. Babcock coming in and demanding a say could really help them out. JR is there for his connections and as a figurehead, Botterill is still there to be the cap number cruncher, and Babcock gives significant input as to the team he wants to build. This is man that knows what it's going to take to build a cup team around Sid and Geno. He's been in the business long enough to give us our best chance.

With that, as a coach, he's the best available. You can keep MJ as an assistant. Choose between Tocchet and Agnew. MJ just looks so overmatched. It's not that he's not a good coach, it just seems like the magnitude of having all stars like Sid and Geno and a dysfunctional in the national hockey league seems overwhelming for him. We need a solid coach. We need a glue guy. A rock. Someone who is going to tell it like it is when it needs to be said. You think Downie wouldn't get a thrashing? You think Kunitz would be solidified in the top 6? He could be exactly what rejuvenates this organziation, especially Sid.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
When Letang's career is over very soon you can bet the same people who are dreaming now of Forsberg will be saying aren't they lucky they drafted Pouliot instead.

Dude, come on now. You are crossing the line. This is inappropriate.

WooWooKennyWu*

Buyout Scuderi - 1.125m for 4 years (+2.25)

Trade Kunitz to Western Conf team (+3.85)

Trade MAF -- Murray will start 40 games next year (+5.75)

Trade Sutter (+3.3)

Trade Perron (+3.81)

Savings: 18.96M
11.1M (Martin, Ehrhoff, Downie, Lapierre)
30M for new Pens GM

.... instead of trading any of the Untouchables -- Malkin, Letang, Crosby

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Buyout Scuderi - 1.125m for 4 years (+2.25)

Trade Kunitz to Western Conf team (+3.85)

Trade MAF -- Murray will start 40 games next year (+5.75)

Trade Sutter (+3.3)

Trade Perron (+3.81)

Savings: 18.96M

.... instead of trading any of the Untouchables -- Malkin, Letang, Crosby

1,2 and 4 I can definitely get behind. 3 would be stupid and I don't really see the point of 5.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
1,2 and 4 I can definitely get behind. 3 would be stupid and I don't really see the point of 5.

Agreed. The trade Perron group around here is absolutely dumbfounding. Same with MAF at the moment.

Of all the issues we have, those two are not one of them.

MAF just resigned and was probably the biggest single reason we made the playoffs in all reality. His play this year vs last year is quite good. That first goal was garbage, yes, but other than that he was solid. Murray and Jarry are not ready yet. Maybe by the time MAF's contact is up they will be a good duo, but Fleury is our guy for the next couple of years like it or not.

Perron is part of the solution. Young, top 6 wing. We need him. EVERYONE'S production and scoring was down. It was not just Perron. The short sighted "what have you done for me lately" view on Perron is very ignorant. The trade Perron supporters lose about 99% of their credit with me. If you are advocating trading him or regretting the trade, there is likely no hope for you and I certainly won't be taking your opinion seriously in any capacity.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm too lazy and sick to go through and break up the post with quotes, RRP. I'm sorry. :laugh:

I'll just say these few things and then leave it at "agree to disagree" ...

The team is in shambles, both in terms of injuries and the players that make up the roster. I'm not going to pass judgement on any of the new guys (Hornqvist, Perron) until I see them play an entire season with this team while it's not in the midst of the greatest collapse this organization's seen in a decade or more. I'll take the relatively small production drop off between Hornqvist and Neal for the fact that Hornqvist is 10x the hockey player Neal is, or has been for several seasons. Ideally we'd have both, but I'll take the guy who is going to play a more successful style in the playoffs. That's Hornqvist.

Shero ran wild, Hulkamania style, all over this franchise for the better part of a decade. He inherited a Cup winner and then proceeded to crash and burn over the next 5 seasons. JR's a dumbass, but he didn't turn this team into what it is now. That's like saying Shero built the Cup winning team after he inherited Patrick's foundation and tinkered with it. A guy doesn't do this much damage in the span of one calendar year. He just doesn't. Just like he can't be expected to clean up the Chernobyl-like disaster he was left with in the span of a calendar year. Now, it's become very evident since the deadline that things are still absurdly ****ed up, and the front office needs gutted, but that doesn't exonerate Shero. Make no mistake, Shero build this disaster and left it smoldering on the ground for the next guy to work with.

There's blame to go around. Lemieux and Burkle for allowing it to get to this point, and talking out of their ***** last summer in the infamous DK interview. Shero for his sickening fetish for aging, over the hill veterans and his stubborn, spiteful unwillingness to adapt and evolve. JR & the idiots alongside him for ****ing up the Despres trade, signing another soft veteran defenseman in Ehrhoff, and not having the balls to move Sutter, Kunitz, Martin or Scuderi (all of Shero's mistakes, let's not forget). Johnston for continuing the grand Penguins tradition of ****ing up roster decisions and screwing over young players. Tocchet for proving there was a damn good reason he was tweeting from his living room couch for years. And us the fans for continuing to financially support this entire disaster. :laugh:

Well...that's what Shero did. He inherited great core pieces, then proceeded to shape that team into a Cup winner by flushing the team of its has-been/wannabe scorers and bringing in the right complementary players, something that many GMs who are gifted great core pieces fail to do. Shero also managed to retain all those great pieces, something many people said couldn't be done.

The Pens were not a disaster left smouldering on the ground when Shero was fired. They were a team where playoff appearances were never in doubt, and they had made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in his last year despite countless key injuries and a significant cap rollback that ate away at team depth.

It wasn't the success we expected, but it's a damn sight better than where we are a year later under Rutherford.

I know many here think Shero's track record relegates him to leper status, but I invite anyone who wants to come up with a list of all the GMs they think are better than Shero, so we can compare their bodies of work. I think it'll be an awful short list. Shero's teams always made the playoffs handily, made two Finals and won a Cup, he made several great trades, very few poor trades, and his "bad vet signings" were cheaper and fewer than those of his colleagues.

Like I said, I wish we hadn't canned him and I'd take him back in a heartbeat. So yeah, agree to disagree. :laugh:

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Chiarelli has made some pretty horrific blunders in the last few years. But if people like him so who am I to judge.

They should have went with McGuire, no sarcasm.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Hopefully we can send a private jet full of Brinks trucks, Sid and Geno to Babcock's door this summer and kill two birds with one stone; a new coach and a new GM in the same guy.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Chiarelli has made some pretty horrific blunders in the last few years. But if people like him so who am I to judge.

They should have went with McGuire, no sarcasm.

Some kids probably would have got a shot but I'm not sure he would be that great.

Anonkun

Apr 18, 2015
Chiarelli sucks. He traded Seguin. Boston is a huge mess right now because of his bad moves and signings.

No he doesn't, he's a big reason they became a competitive team in the first place.

There are reports that his hands were tied and he was forced to make that move.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Much like Shero, people shouldn't let a few mistakes over the last couple years cloud the big picture with Chiarelli. He'd be a great guy to guide this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad