Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think there are other extenuating circumstances in whether they should sign Panarin. Here’s a hypothetical:

The Rangers trade Kreider to Toronto for the Toronto 1st ‘20 + Andreas Jonsson

The Stars re-sign Zuccarello, therefore the Rangers knownthey are receiving the Stars 1st.

The Rangers trade Jimmy Vesey to Colorado for the Avs 2nd ‘20 prior to the season.

Kevin Shattenkirk is traded to Buffalo for the BUF 2nd ‘20 + BUF 3rd ‘20 + Zack Bogosian

So going into 2020, Gorton knows he has his own 1st, DAL 1st, TO 1st, NYR 2nd, COL 2nd, BUF 2nd. They have tons of cap room and that would give them another year of 3 1st’s next year.

Would Gorton take the stab at a younger UFA knowing he would be one of the guys he can build around moving forward?

Reactions: Ola

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Just as speculative as saying we'll be in the Final in three years. Nobody, including you, knows what we'll be in three years.

So then why do you state it's so easy to respond to my original post and 'done and done' when it's not so definitive?

It starts with the lotto. If they win the direction of this rebuild changes.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think there are other extenuating circumstances in whether they should sign Panarin. Here’s a hypothetical:

The Stars re-sign Zuccarello, therefore the Rangers knownthey are receiving the Stars 1st.

The Rangers trade Jimmy Vesey to Colorado for the Avs 2nd ‘20 prior to the season.

Kevin Shattenkirk is traded to Buffalo for the BUF 2nd ‘20 + BUF 3rd ‘20 + Zack Bogosian

So going into 2020, Gorton knows he has his own 1st, DAL 1st, TO 1st, NYR 2nd, COL 2nd, BUF 2nd. They have tons of cap room and that would give them another year of 3 1st’s next year.

Would Gorton take the stab at a younger UFA knowing he would be one of the guys he can build around moving forward?
Build around for how long though? Those picks most likely won’t be guys you can count on for 3+ years, which would be 4+ of Panarin being on the team

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I would offer both Lemiux and Deangelo bridge deals, I want to see them stick with our system for another 2 or 3 seasons and see how they develop in a consistent environment. Tony has undeniably had a great season, and he deserves to be rewarded.

Reactions: egelband and bobbop

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Watching NBC rn, they pretty much just that if we can get Panarin we will be all over that, but it would be foolish money to spend on 31+ year old vets to ride out a rebuild.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would be shocked if ADA got more then 2 or 3 years at $2.5MM AAV. I believe that puts him going into his last RFA year at the end of the contract.

Lemieux I dont see more that $1.75MM for 2 years.

Buch is interesting. I have a suspicion he is dealt in a package in the summer.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I think people can do mental gymnastics all they want to convince themselves one way or the other that a guy will or won’t hold up over a contract.

At the end of the day, it still comes down to how long you’re willing to pay a guy a top dollar to play on a team that is going to need quite a bit of time to get it’s feet under it, and whether or not you believe any team, the Rangers included, isn’t going to alter its approach.
And the biggest issue for me is what does this organization have? We have a ton of unknown, unproven assets. I guess one take is to acknowledge that fact and spend because they may never pan out.

But I just wonder what happens if the normal percentage of prospects pan out? Where do we sit with a Panarin type, big contract 5 years down the road? We are at this stage of possessing the players, but not having enough info to forecast.

We don't know if Chytil and Andersson are centers or wings. Buchnevich is rounding into form. Kravtsov may be here next year. Do we have a breakout star hidden in the organization?

I don't want to commit to Panarin now and find out in 4 years we already had a 1st line RW in Kratsov, and 2nd in Buch, and the best 3rd line in hockey with Andersson, Howden and Lemieux. A glut of wings, but no top line defense or a need for a top 6 center. But a declining, redundant piece with Panarin is eating $10m and we can't address issues.

Its hypothetical and it may work out. I just think the risk/reward is off. We have glaring holes that coincide with the rest of his prime. Lundqvist is riding into the sunset and Georgiev could be Talbot still. The defense is a mess and the best options in the organization are maybe 4 years from being steady, experienced, developed top 4 players.

So 4 years in, the balance of the 7 year deal looks eerily like the 3 years of Marlow in Toronto. Money tied up in a redundant part, cap space gone at the most crucial off season in franchise history. The Marlow deal looked sketchy on day 1, but 2 years in it may be lethal. That's how quick the league moves. This will be 7 years, with less information, and not even the cup aspirations that at least could have justified the risk.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just as speculative as saying we'll be in the Final in three years. Nobody, including you, knows what we'll be in three years.

All speculation is not created equal.

It’s speculative to speculate that it is, unless you’re speculating that speculators are all speculating based on sound data.

But I think you’re speculating that speculators are speculating, which makes me wonder what kind of speculation you consider in your speculation.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Lemieux and DeAngelo will both get 1 year QO’s

Very little chance either of them get more
I’m fine giving both two year bridges. Give them a little security but let them sing for their supper. Pionk gets a bridge too. If anything it makes him a more moveable asset. A month ago I was pretty sure I would bridge Buchnevich now but I will admit to rethinking that.

One of the ways they then care additional cap space is buy out Smith.

Reactions: egelband

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Who are the Rangers selecting with 10th/11th pick in the draft? These clowns are going to run the table this week. They will end up with 83 points.

During the game on Friday night, the trivia question was which two other centers 25 or younger besides Zibanejad have scored 30 goals in a season.

Darren Turcotte and Mark Pavelich.

The team has been in business since 1926 and they haven’t had many great players for the Rangers play in their prime years. Many old big names.

They are winning these meaningless games. I know the players don’t view them as meaningless. They are playing for contracts. The players come and go.

They are making Gorton’s job more difficult. Unless the Rangers draft some difference makers, the rebuild will be a failure. Those players are found at the top of the draft.

The Rangers can have a million first rounders but unless they find their key players to build the team around, this franchise is going nowhere.

Just one homegrown superstar. Not all of these nice players.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Who are the Rangers selecting with 10th/11th pick in the draft? These clowns are going to run the table this week. They will end up with 83 points.

During the game on Friday night, the trivia question was which two other centers 25 or younger besides Zibanejad have scored 30 goals in a season.

The team has been in business since 1926 and they haven’t had many great players for the Rangers play in their prime years. Many old big names.

They are winning these meaningless games. I know the players don’t view them as meaningless. They are playing for contracts. The players come and go.

They are making Gorton’s job more difficult. Unless the Rangers draft some difference makers, the rebuild will be a failure. Those players are found at the top of the draft.

The Rangers can have a million first rounders but unless they find their key players to build the team around, this franchise is going nowhere.

I'm as frustrated as you are but there's literally nothing we can do about it.

Hope for the best when the balls fall and then pray our scouts know WTF they're doing. But I agree that we need difference makerSSSSSSSSS. Plural.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

To give you a serious answer, if the Rangers drop that far, I'm willing to say "just f*** it" and gamble on Caufield or Brink and pray to all of the deities on earth that they turn into a top line scorer.

I would go absolutely nuts if they go for another "safe" player like Suzuki, Krebs, York, or Seider with their top pick. This team needs difference makers.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016

If this all happened and you unloaded Shattys full cap hit it seems more plausible.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't want panarin. I don't think he lines up with our timetable.
I don't understand this...

If he's signed for 6-7 years, he's part of the 'time-table'. They can compete for a Playoff spot next year and continue to improve off of that. Signing Panarin alleviates a weakness on this team. We have a plethora of assets to help solidify the defense. We're not as far off as everyone makes it sound.

I'm not talking about being cup contenders next year.. It's a process. You do not flip a switch and just turn into a Cup contender.. Playing in meaningful games, at the end of the season, is extremely important. Having a coach like Quinn, who's demanding 100% effort/hard work, gets old real fast if you're losers.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

But you said that they suck and that we are one of the worst teams in the league, still we are winning? Who are these clowns trying to play well? Lettieri? Kids...

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
What do we think we should do for Fox’ rights, if at all? We have a great chance to get him for free but how about offering CAR a 4 or 5 and say someone like Nico Gross?
Before this season, I thought the odds of the Rangers acquiring Fox were slim to none, let alone at a reasonable price. But now I’m licking my lips for some Fox. Not only is he one of my favorite prospects, but situations like these are critical for a franchise, especially in a rebuild. If the Rangers can sign him after his senior year, great. But to minimize risk, I say trade for him. The Rangers cannot afford to mess this up. They have to make sure to get him, even if it will cost something. But the key here is we would be acquiring a tremendous asset for a (hopefully) greatly reduced price.

This guy has top pairing potential. I don’t think a 4th/5th and someone like Gross will do it. I would do a 3rd and one of Pionk/Gross/Gropp/Lindbom for him. Hell, I would even offer a late 2nd rounder for him straight up.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
In simple terms.. as I see it..

Next year - compete - possibly make playoffs?
Two years - compete - make playoffs
Three years - Make playoffs and win a round?
Four Years = Continue to grow - maybe a round or two?
Five Years - Make noise in the playoffs
Six Years - Make noise in the playoffs

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
These last two wins are detrimental to the lottery. Go ahead and keep winning. Was hoping they were weakened enough to lose. Just a short amount of time was all that was needed for a better place. This franchise could break an anvil with a rubber hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad