Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Broke- Discussing Panarin/Karlsson

Woke- Discussing RFA extensions for Lemieux/Deangelo.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
What do we think we should do for Fox’ rights, if at all? We have a great chance to get him for free but how about offering CAR a 4 or 5 and say someone like Nico Gross?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What do we think we should do for Fox’ rights, if at all? We have a great chance to get him for free but how about offering CAR a 4 or 5 and say someone like Nico Gross?

If he wants to come here I don't see how it makes a difference. If you think he's relatively undecided and could be 'pitched' on NYR, then maybe. But I think it'll be after the next NCAA season that a trade goes down.

Buffalo trading for Vesey was in hopes that they could pitch a role on their team to him and make him some promises.

Reactions: haveandare

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Depends on if you want to help CAR get an asset or not. BUF traded a 3rd for Jimmy Vesey's rights. Jimmy walked out on both Nashville and Buffalo. It's the same scenario, except the odds are better to sign with the Rangers.

It makes it more appealing to Fox to be acquired at the deadline and burn a year off the ELC, where he effectively will be an RFA after his rookie year. I think that would be appealing to Fox if he were traded to a team that he was going to sign with.

The question becomes.... who are those teams? And how much are they willing to pay for the above scenario to happen?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I have been a proponent for signing Panarin.

He's an elite level talent that this fan base wants.

I personally do not care that he would be acquired via UFA signing as opposed to drafting and developing one

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
If he wants to come here I don't see how it makes a difference. If you think he's relatively undecided and could be 'pitched' on NYR, then maybe. But I think it'll be after the next NCAA season that a trade goes down.

Buffalo trading for Vesey was in hopes that they could pitch a role on their team to him and make him some promises.
I think a trade would be to convince him to sign this summer and get the ball rolling a year earlier than waiting over a year to do it

Reactions: DutchShamrock

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I have been a proponent for signing Panarin.

He's an elite level talent that this fan base wants.

I personally do not care that he would be acquired via UFA signing as opposed to drafting and developing one
Drafting and developing one means you have them for longer, signing them as a UFA means you give one a giant contract they probably won’t be good at the end of

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Drafting and developing one means you have them for longer, signing them as a UFA means you give one a giant contract they probably won’t be good at the end of

In addition to the fact that, at best, the guy performs at a level consistent with his salary, as opposed to providing significant positive value while on an ELC. Teams don’t win when UFAs are their centerpiece, and it’s because of the above value proposition.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, a 7th rounder next June if anything.

Just to be able to wrap him up before the off-season, it’s not optimal to have to wait until late August to know if you will get a guy that have to play right away or not.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Yes yes... why on Earth would we want to draft our own “elite” player when we can throw a bag of cash at one who doesn’t fit our timeline, all but guaranteeing 1st round exits for years to come, thereby making our own 1st rd picks mid rounders and making like 4 fans happy for a few months because “shiny new toy”?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

What if you never draft someone as good as Panarin? Or maybe you do and then you have two elite players? We arent gonna have cap issues for years and years, a free player can't hurt.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Yes yes... why on Earth would we want to draft our own “elite” player when we can throw a bag of cash at one who doesn’t fit our timeline, all but guaranteeing 1st round exits for years to come, thereby making our own 1st rd picks mid rounders and making like 4 fans happy for a few months because “shiny new toy”?

I posted this in the last thread but Panarin will likely be playing at the level he is at now for the next 4 to 5 years (30 goals / ppg player) then for the last couple of years be in the 20 goal/50-60 pt player.

Hes played in the NHL for just 4 years and has only missed a couple game. That means less wear and tear on his body through a grueling 82 game plus playoff schedule on a smaller rink where the game is more physical.

KHL season is just 60 regular season games. Though aside from his last 2 years in the KHL, he never played over 40 games.

He doesn't have a lot of miles on him. He also doesnt play that style of game that leads to an early break down.

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
To me it all comes down to the contract Panarin gets though. 7 years doesn’t scare me as much due to his age. But I’m not okay exceeding about $9-9.5m. If that doesn’t get him, okay, move on. Stone got $9.5m in a market where he won’t have as many endorsement deals as someone in NY will with the Rangers. Similar level of player.

Again, I’d thats not enough I get it, but this organization shouldn’t be a bank and shouldn’t need to be giving out record setting contracts.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think people can do mental gymnastics all they want to convince themselves one way or the other that a guy will or won’t hold up over a contract.

At the end of the day, it still comes down to how long you’re willing to pay a guy a top dollar to play on a team that is going to need quite a bit of time to get it’s feet under it, and whether or not you believe any team, the Rangers included, isn’t going to alter its approach.

Reactions: Barnaby and Kupo

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think people can do mental gymnastics all they want to convince themselves one way or the other that a guy will or won’t hold up over a contract.

At the end of the day, it still comes down to how long you’re willing to pay a guy a top dollar to play on a team that is going to need quite a bit of time to get it’s feet under it, and whether or not you believe any team, the Rangers included, isn’t going to alter its approach.

I honestly think it comes down to if they win the lottery. If they do and draft Hughes, I think the timeline changes.

I think they try to add another top 10 pick and they go after Panarin. I also think they try to make a package to add a top pairing young RHD.

They are going to want to try to take advantage of Hughes' ELC as much as possible.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I posted this in the last thread but Panarin will likely be playing at the level he is at now for the next 4 to 5 years (30 goals / ppg player) then for the last couple of years be in the 20 goal/50-60 pt player.

Hes played in the NHL for just 4 years and has only missed a couple game. That means less wear and tear on his body through a grueling 82 game plus playoff schedule on a smaller rink where the game is more physical.

KHL season is just 60 regular season games. Though aside from his last 2 years in the KHL, he never played over 40 games.

He doesn't have a lot of miles on him. He also doesnt play that style of game that leads to an early break down.
Easy to respond to this post:

We won’t be a contender in 3 years.

Done and done.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
As long as we dont sign Duchene or Karlsson to long term high dollar deals I'm ok. I think Panarin is a different beast, I'm ok with signing him, he does everything offensively, skates well, playmaker,shooter and can control play. I have no problem projecting that he will be elite for 5 years atleast, and by that time will still be worth the contract on a 7 year deal with the escalating salary cap. Remember Pastranak and Scheifle signed a couple years ago and they are already massively underpaid, 9 or 10 mill in 5 or 6 years will likely look like 6 now.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
What if you never draft someone as good as Panarin? Or maybe you do and then you have two elite players? We arent gonna have cap issues for years and years, a free player can't hurt.
What if Panarin comes to a team on a mega contract that’s worse than any team he’s ever been on just because he wants to be in the city and doesn’t hit the point totals he’s expected to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad