Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Couldn't agree more. Either go for the elite FA or go for low cost value signings.

Exactly.

Go very big, or go very small, or go home.

Agreed. I'm not interested in going more than two years on those type of deals.

I agree 100% here. If the Rangers do go the free agent route, they should be looking for a home run impact player like Panarin and/or stopgap 1-2 year deals for vets while the kids develop.

None of this 5-6 years, 6 million annually for the likes of Jordan Eberle crap.

CONSENSUS!!!

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Moving them for what? This is already an incredibly weak forward group,probably bottom 5 in the league. If you're dumping salary, you're taking back lesser players, if you're getting back roster players at all... so you're tacking on AHL level talent in their place to upgrade the first line?

This is assuming you can actually get *anything* for Strome/Names/Vesey, which I am very dubious about. The league is not short on bottom 6 forwards and every team has AHL guys who cant wait to get in there.... on ELCs, not $3M/4M a year. Let alone buying out Smith.... pure dead cap... for the grand prize of a threadbare forward group on a still lottery team? Why.
The what isn't much of a concern. Assuming singing Panarin, they would already have 14 forwards with Zibanejad, Kreider, Buch, Chytil, Andersson, Strome, Namestnikov, Howden, Fast, Lemieux, Kravtsov, Nieves, and Vesey.

Smith gets bought out to open up space for Hajek/Lindgren/Rykov. I'd prefer not to but it doesn't seem like he will have a place on this team and buying him out only really hurts in 20-21, but if he's in the minors the cap hit is the same for that season regardless.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I get that you can make it work, but I don't see the business sense in it. If the franchise can't really contend until the $25M of SSS/Lundqvist is off the books in 2021-22 (most ppl would agree here), then the next 2 years doesn't particularly matter outside of development and you're in effect giving Panarin $22M+ the next 2 years in order to sign him to 5/55 for his age 29-34 seasons.

That's a hell of a bribe to have someone stay put. And it's less than what he'd take home in Florida with a WAAAY better core. Dubious.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
My biggest issue with the way this quasi-rebuild is going right now is how dependent it is upon stellar scouting/drafting. There is a ton of pressure on Gordie Clark's team to produce with all the assets being forked their way.

I am fairly confident at this point that Gorton's plan is not going to change. It's pretty simple actually. Acquire assets, turn them into young players, and don't step in it on the free agent market. They key question is what is a fair timelines to gauge of Clark and his scouts are getting it done? Patience is obviously key, but at the same time, none of the recent draftees are show signs of being impactful NHL players just yet. In a league that is getting younger and younger, how long will Gorton's patience last until changes are made in the scouting department?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
The state tax thing has been cleared up. So long as panarin claims primary residence in a no state tax state and is paid in 99% signing bonuses, the rangers he gets his money as if he were playing in Florida. Rangers just have to match the offer

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
We are gonna have cap space Galore ......plus assets.....need dry ammo to steal someones malcontent superstar...Selloff is almost over. Money and prudent ntc and sign them up

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
They how can getting a such a player be a priority?

Is it a priority to you or a priority to Gorton?
I don't do this a lot, people's words are sacred, but this is a textbook logical fallacy.

It should be of high priority for anyone who doesn't want to see Howden, Chytil, Namestnikov, even Strome, as 2C.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
My biggest issue with the way this quasi-rebuild is going right now is how dependent it is upon stellar scouting/drafting. There is a ton of pressure on Gordie Clark's team to produce with all the assets being forked their way.

I am fairly confident at this point that Gorton's plan is not going to change. It's pretty simple actually. Acquire assets, turn them into young players, and don't step in it on the free agent market. They key question is what is a fair timelines to gauge of Clark and his scouts are getting it done? Patience is obviously key, but at the same time, none of the recent draftees are show signs of being impactful NHL players just yet. In a league that is getting younger and younger, how long will Gorton's patience last until changes are made in the scouting department?
Pretty sure unless he majorly borks something Gorton will be judged on the 2021-22 season. As far as the scouting staff goes, its a loyalty/nepotism business. His guys aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: wafflepadsave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad