Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It's been pages since any of us said anything that hadn't been said already.
Yup. I went down for a nap two hours ago (humble brag about being on vacation this week, FTW), and we're still discussing the same exact talking points. Think I'm going to avoid this thread for a while. I'll just change my signature to illustrate my view point going into the summer.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Does anyone have a list of potential UFAs?

I have a feeling that as we scroll through less flashy names, those are the players who are more likely to be targets.

Karlsson at 11M for 7 years? ;)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Does anyone have a list of potential UFAs?

I have a feeling that as we scroll through less flashy names, those are the players who are more likely to be targets.

See, those are exactly the players I'd like to avoid unless they're on short 2-year type contracts. Jordan Eberle, Jeff Skinner, Kevin Hayes, Derick Brassard, Gustav Nyquist, Marcus Johansson, Brock Nelson, Wayne Simmonds, etc, etc. I'd take Zuccarello back, maybe. Otherwise, those middle-6 types are the ones who end up being the worst contracts in the long run.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Your kidding right? Or is it you’re kidding, right? Or is it your kidding, right?

Now it’s grammar. JC.

It's just really annoying to read text posts that are grammatically incorrect.

Especially over something so easy.

You're = You are. If you can replace the word with "you are" and it makes sense, then you def want "you're."

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
See, those are exactly the players I'd like to avoid unless they're on short 2-year type contracts. Jordan Eberle, Jeff Skinner, Kevin Hayes, Derick Brassard, Gustav Nyquist, Marcus Johansson, Brock Nelson, Wayne Simmonds, etc, etc. I'd take Zuccarello back, maybe. Otherwise, those middle-6 types are the ones who end up being the worst contracts in the long run.
Couldn't agree more. Either go for the elite FA or go for low cost value signings.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Exactly.

Go very big, or go very small, or go home.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Agreed. I'm not interested in going more than two years on those type of deals.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It's just really annoying to read text posts that are grammatically incorrect.

Especially over something so easy.

You're = You are. If you can replace the word with "you are" and it makes sense, then you def want "you're."
Thanks for that too man.
I’ve said this before. I’m spitting off the top of my head or just letting it flow. There are so many typos. And i do, I edit a lot of my posts. But I mean, I’m not here to make sure you’re :) getting to read grammatically correct posts, I’m here to share my thoughts. I don’t get paid for this stuff

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Your right it’s not 2010. Kids make much bigger impacts quicker, across the board, it’s not just a few and it’s not just top 5 picks.
You cannot presume that all draft picks pan out any more than you can presume that they all develop at the same time and in the same way

Reactions: jas

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I feel like that 2009 team was a team in transition. It was transitioning from the Jagr years, and the failed Drury-Gomez experiment, but was still more or less at the point where the drafts from several years prior were coming of age and ushering in the next wave.

I don't see this team as a transition team. I think that transition is still a few years off.

It's also worth noting that Gaborik's contribution to the window included being traded. Here in 2019, Gaborik gets a NMC. And Panarin will as well.

There was a stronger veteran presence and the youngsters were farther along, for sure. Definitely a bit of a different vibe.

That said I am not sure that team (without Gabs) would beat this team in a 7 game series and (at least for the moment) I definitely would peg this team to have a stronger chance at being competitive in 2022-2025 than that team of being competitive in 2012-2015, even with Hank out of his prime. That team was just so devoid of talent and upside its crazy to look back on it.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
You’d pop a lot of balloons over at hfboards with your take.

Response

Ha.

They clearly don’t listen to gorton in pressers or read the tea leaves well..

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
You cannot presume that all draft picks pan out any more than you can presume that they all develop at the same time and in the same way
And I don’t. But with close to 40 picks in 4 years time, if we don’t have a bunch than we’re screwed in the big picture

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There was a stronger veteran presence and the youngsters were farther along, for sure. Definitely a bit of a different vibe.

That said I am not sure that team (without Gabs) would beat this team in a 7 game series and (at least for the moment) I definitely would peg this team to have a stronger chance at being competitive in 2022-2025 than that team of being competitive in 2012-2015, even with Hank out of his prime. That team was just so devoid of talent and upside its crazy to look back on it.

And I guess I view it from the perspective of what comes next.

2009 felt, and still feels somewhat isolated. Like a regroup was in order.

2019 feels like more than that. And that might be the key difference between a regroup and a rebuild.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
They won't have to bridge anyone.
They have 17.5M in cap room for next year. 11 for Panarin (might not even be enough) leaves 6.5 for Buchnevich, ADA, Pionk, Lemieux. 6.5 might not even be enough to bridge those 4.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Further, and no one seems to take this into account, it doesn't really make business sense to sign a win-now player for Eleven Million Dollars (TM) per year just to be a better lottery team.

Hockey is still a business.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
They have 17.5M in cap room for next year. 11 for Panarin (might not even be enough) leaves 6.5 for Buchnevich, ADA, Pionk, Lemieux. 6.5 might not even be enough to bridge those 4.
That doesn't include a cap increase and/or moving out guys like Strome/Namestnikov/Vesey or trading/buying out Smith.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I think guys like Johnsson and Kapanen are possibilities on the offer sheet or trade with me to avoid it front. Would not be shocked if one of the two are rangers. Same with someone off the Jets. Connor/trouba/Laine/morrisey. Either a RFA guy or someone they move to make room for the RFA contracts. Martinook on Carolina a possibility for depth. McAvoy in Boston via a Kreider sign and trade. Shocker that I could see, Poille moving subban at the draft for flexibility and rangers being all over it. Rangers are gonna land a good RD. Who knows to what level and how they acquire them, but there is :) (grammar guys) a need and there are candidates out there

If panthers land panarin, what does it take to trade for hubreadeu

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I agree 100% here. If the Rangers do go the free agent route, they should be looking for a home run impact player like Panarin and/or stopgap 1-2 year deals for vets while the kids develop.

None of this 5-6 years, 6 million annually for the likes of Jordan Eberle crap.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
That doesn't include a cap increase and moving out guys like Strome/Namestnikov/Vesey or trading/buying out Smith.
Moving them for what? This is already an incredibly weak forward group,probably bottom 5 in the league. If you're dumping salary, you're taking back lesser players, if you're getting back roster players at all... so you're tacking on AHL level talent in their place to upgrade the first line?

This is assuming you can actually get *anything* for Strome/Names/Vesey, which I am very dubious about. The league is not short on bottom 6 forwards and every team has AHL guys who cant wait to get in there.... on ELCs, not $3M/4M a year. Let alone buying out Smith.... pure dead cap... for the grand prize of a threadbare forward group on a still lottery team? Why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad