Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Ive been trying to look around for guys who I think may fit in that slot. Goodrow allows the team to look for either a center or wing which expands some options. Lehkonen from Montreal would be a good one. So would Gallagher although he has a longer term on his deal.
I think Laf-Goodrow-Hunt could be a decent line if they want to try Chytil at wing. But, I agree that Smith would be a great fit.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think the key for any young player is getting comfortable and understanding what to expect from their line mates. Their game will still be forming so it’s important to not have too many moving parts/variables on a line. It creates too much confusion and the young players can’t get good feedback on what is working versus what isn’t. It’s like running an experiment on every shift. It will go much better with maybe 1 or 2 open variables than 6-8. Right now, that 3rd line has 6-8.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Strome and Panarin need to be separated. They only work for each other. That pairing doesn't work for the team anymore.
They were when Kakko was with them. Made sense to break them up and try him with Mika and Kreider but it doesn’t work all that well

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Smith would be Taylor made for that open slot on Viper’s third line.
Ain’t gonna happen.
Especially now with patches getting wrist surgery and out til at least playoffs...
Vegas ain’t Dumb. They know how important Smith is to them. It would be like us trading strome.
If they had to get cap compliant, it likely would have been Dadonov and Jannmark dealt for peanuts so they can self rent smith.....
But with patches Surgery now, it looks like they are content to play the LTIR game similar to how the lighting did....

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Ive been trying to look around for guys who I think may fit in that slot. Goodrow allows the team to look for either a center or wing which expands some options. Lehkonen from Montreal would be a good one. So would Gallagher although he has a longer term on his deal.
Lehkonen would be my choice as well. He’s not going to cost a bundle, and he fits the smith type mold they are looking for.... he’s just not anywhere near as good of a scorer.
I hope we at least give Barron some games before we make moves. He deserves some big boy time. It would be advantageous for him and the rangers long term.
Hopefully he snaps out of the little funk he was in. Not sure if he’s sick/ injured etc.
But if he’s back to normal I give him some games. Screw Greg Mckegg please.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I would probably be good with that as a stop gap. Although I would be hesitant to completely break up that 4th line which has been a consistent positive most games.
That’s fair. Although I think Goat or Barron could fit nicely with Rooney and Reaves.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Oh man. Poor girl forgetting the Canadien anthem mid way thru in Jersey..
They should just be singing the home team anthem in these games....no need for two anthems anymore with so many nationalities now in force . It's a minor change...but one that needs done . I feel bad for her ....it happens .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yup. Need to fix that third pair and a little tinkering with the forward group (Cullye and Barron with a Pajuniemi cameo end of next year?).
Was curious on how skating ability ranks with regard to our young prospects like Laf- KK-Othmann-Kravs-Cuylle-Barron & Bedard ? Who's got the ranking on wheels ? Remember....this could be our future core of 12 forwards moving forward 3 years .

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Was curious on how skating ability ranks with regard to our young prospects like Laf- KK-Othmann-Kravs-Cuylle-Barron & Bedard ? Who's got the ranking on wheels ? Remember....this could be our future core of 12 forwards moving forward 3 years .

I am definitely not an expert but Bedard and Kravs are by far the best skaters of that group. Othmann has been described as having the worst skating mechanics, but if he works with a skating coach a lot of that stuff gets fixed.

Reactions: leetch99

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
The Laff Chytil Gauthier line is infuriating, but I respect Gallant for keeping them together.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Boy chytil sure is looking like a stud 2c...

We saw the value of a Goodrow type player last night. Making plays that win games against good teams.

Becoming concerned w laf from the standpoint that he was getting mins before and playing the role he needed to, but now he's under 10 mins a game and turk is clearly not happy w him or that line. Not sure what changes to get this on track, but I have to believe chytil will have a new home by summer and another center will be here centering laf

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

We saw the value of a Goodrow type player last night. Making plays that win games against good teams.

Becoming concerned w laf from the standpoint that he was getting mins before and playing the role he needed to, but now he's under 10 mins a game and turk is clearly not happy w him or that line. Not sure what changes to get this on track, but I have to believe chytil will have a new home by next summer and another center will be here centering laf

Id be surprised if Chytil is here past the deadline

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Id be surprised if Chytil is here past the deadline
I agree, but making trades at the deadline is very hard. Difficult to see them going into the playoffs with chytil playing center. Even the stat boys need to be accepting of this by now...

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008

Becoming concerned w laf from the standpoint that he was getting mins before and playing the role he needed to, but now he's under 10 mins a game and turk is clearly not happy w him or that line. Not sure what changes to get this on track, but I have to believe chytil will have a new home by summer and another center will be here centering laf
They really need another center for Kakko and Laf. The Mika line has maybe one good shift a game at even strength. Mika needs Panarin while Kakko and Laf need a real center on the second line. Strome gets abused badly against playoff teams and it seems this is not something that he can fix as we're going on year three of the same old story.

Reactions: CLW

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
They really need another center for Kakko and Laf. The Mika line has maybe one good shift a game at even strength. Mika needs Panarin while Kakko and Laf need a real center on the second line. Strome gets abused badly against playoff teams and it seems this is not something that he can fix as we're going on year three of the same old story.
So a 9mil center needs an 11mil winger to be effective?

Strome needs panarin much more than Mika does.

This roster needs a change in personel, the mix doesn't compliment right now and no amount of juggling is going to fix that. They need to add a competent center and a mid 6 winger. Until then it's just juggling pieces that don't work bc we have a completely ineffective 3c (in any role he tries) and we lost a mid 6 winger to injury. Gauthier isn't a top 9 player and his only NHL role will be as a 4th liner if he evolves his game.

It is remarkable where this team is in the standings and shows just how good our great players have been.

Last edited:

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008

This roster needs a change in personel, the mix doesn't compliment right now and no amount of juggling is going to fix that. They need to add a competent center and a mid 6 winger. Until then it's just juggling pieces that don't work bc we have a completely ineffective 3c (in any role he tries) and we lost a mid 6 winger to injury. Gauthier isn't a top 9 player and his only NHL role will be as a 4th liner if he evolves his game.
For this season I'm more than fine with Strome and Panarin being together but next season we clearly need a real center for that second line. I see no reason why Mika's cap hit prohibits him playing with Panarin next season. Rangers need a better matchup line and the easiest way to get that is by playing Kakko with a real center next season. I'm not sure why we're rolling the third line we currently are but that's an easier issue to fix than our center position at 2c next year. The third line had a really good stretch there but their lack of finish really put a dent into their confidence and it needs a change. They also had that stretch while they were playing the weaker teams around the league and it's obvious we need some more veteran presence on that third line to play against the better teams.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

It is remarkable where this team is in the standings and shows just how good our great players have been.
There's only so much you can do when Kreider is married to Zibs and Panarin is married to Strome.

Dont get me wrong we still need more top9 capable talent. Laf and Chytil cannot be on the same line together. They need 2 vets. Kakko has shown signs but it hasn't led to much. Gauthier can't finish.

They need to rip off the bandaid..... or unless they reinforce that bandaid and re-sign Strome.

Looking at the box score and standings is nice. Watching the games, is concerning. We haven't been able to do much 5v5 nearly all season. That's been a major problem.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The Larkin ship has sailed....

What can Chytil, Lundkvist + get us? Gourde is the obvious answer. There's not many other choices. This is why the likelihood of Strome resigning is getting higher...

We need speed and/or effort+energy. Not another average skater floating around.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad