Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Rangers poor record against the top teams in the league is 100% due to their lack of depth. I was in support of Drury's offseason moves to make space in the lineup for their young payers, but unfortunately their collective play its whats holding the team back.

Kakko & Miller have both shown signs of clear improvement this year, but still have yet to find the game to game consistency needed to be a locked in top 6F/top 4D. They will get there eventually, not worried about them.

Lafreniere & Lundkvist are still so early in there careers, but have shown very little of the dynamic play we saw from them pre-NHL. Lundkvist really doesnt look like an offensive player at all, he struggles with getting out of the Dzone and his decision making, but i have been impressed with his defensive play. Laf is invisible every night and looks out of shape, he skates hard and hits, but so did Brett Howden. He needs to start shooting pucks and going to the net consistently.

Chytil/Gauthier/Hajek need to be upgraded. None of them have shown anything to think they will be anything more than fringe NHLers so far.

The rangers veterans showed up big time last night in a game they knew would be huge test. Igor (outside of a brutal goal in the 3rd), Panarin & Mika were great, Kreider too was solid and the 4th line had a bunch of momentum swinging shifts. That will win them a lot of games (as weve seen), but their ceiling is capped as long as their young players do nothing

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Guess I was not far off when I said Tony DeAngelo would be a PPG player this season.....we miss his work in getting the offensive plays started , lugging the puck and sharp hard passes .....say what you want . Hopefully Jones brings some of that when he is given that chance and lightens the load on Fox who is being worked over by teams in their game plan on us. Laf and KK need more time as does Gauthier ...can't change that . Being poor up the middle does little for offensive creativity and hurts our wingers . We need a left side catalyst from our back end or another one behind Fox .....we just need one !

DeAngelo needed to go, but the overall point is spot on. When the Rangers are playing offense, they get plenty of chances. Unfortunately they only have 1 defenseman who can consistently make a first pass or skate the puck out of trouble, which is why they spend so much of the game playing defense. I think they expected more from Lundkvist in this regard, but they really need to give Jones a shot. Another puck moving defenseman is the teams biggest need, because they have enough star power to carry them at forward.

Id be very open to dealing Miller or Lundkvist in a package for Jakob Chychrun. He ticks a lot of boxes as an ascending top 4 D who can move the puck on an extremely reasonable contract

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Just saw a bunch of posts where guys are stating this guy is garbage or that guy is garbage. Your opinions are either correct or close to correct when comparing them to the right kind players that they need to contend. But honestly, this club is not there yet. They’re a bit better than last season but still evolving. There’s still holes that have to be rectified and probably will be in a year or two.
Most would agree that the teams record is still outstanding in the light of young players growing/maturing. Will be interesting to see if any of holes or weaknesses can be addressed during the season or if it has to wait till summer. As @Edge stated before, these decisions are going to be coming up quickly and final assessments need to be done soon. I’m going to try enjoy this season as much as possible and let the chips fall out.
Definitely looking forward to our three main sources relaying intell in the coming weeks.
Happy New Year!

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
If Kakko and Lafreniere are busts based on their play, they still are the biggest failures of the rebuild. Look no further than Mika Zibanejad, Chris Kreider, Jacob Trouba and their wonderful contracts.

For all the hand wringing over the kids--I get it, it'd be nice if they were destroying the league--there's bigger problems on this team than those two, who have at least been competent middle six wingers as near-teenagers.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
If Kakko and Lafreniere are busts based on their play, they still are the biggest failures of the rebuild. Look no further than Mika Zibanejad, Chris Kreider, Jacob Trouba and their wonderful contracts.

For all the hand wringing over the kids--I get it, it'd be nice if they were destroying the league--there's bigger problems on this team than those two, who have at least been competent middle six wingers as near-teenagers.
Those big contracts were only going to be a problem when Kakko and Laf needed to be paid. That problem isn’t even on the horizon at this point.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
DeAngelo needed to go, but the overall point is spot on. When the Rangers are playing offense, they get plenty of chances. Unfortunately they only have 1 defenseman who can consistently make a first pass or skate the puck out of trouble, which is why they spend so much of the game playing defense. I think they expected more from Lundkvist in this regard, but they really need to give Jones a shot. Another puck moving defenseman is the teams biggest need, because they have enough star power to carry them at forward.

Id be very open to dealing Miller or Lundkvist in a package for Jakob Chychrun. He ticks a lot of boxes as an ascending top 4 D who can move the puck on an extremely reasonable contract
I could live with Chychrun as well . Our young guns up front will come in time . I always believed great teams are built from the back out . That one -two punch from the back end is much harder to defend against and it basically is non existent for us right now and it shows . I expect the GM Drury is looking at that right now .....or I sure hope he is . Not every draft pick or prospect will be instant Ranger players let alone stars....if we have an opp to get JC from the desert....I'd say go for it .

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
of course you CAN, but the sky is falling right? This is the worst organization ever and Gretzky would have busted here. Hahaha. And I guess Tampa can’t develop players either. JT didn’t get it there either.

You realize you didn’t counter anything I said. In fact it IS a hard truth that COVID conditions are affecting most if not all players’ development. The fact that you think some are doing fine doesn’t change that. Haha. Why is that so difficult for you?

So who would you trade our first overall bust for from his draft class? I’m genuinely curious. I can’t think of one I would trade him for. But it’s subjective.
Has Stutzle, Lundell or Raymond been affected by COVID?

I absolutely do believe the NYR can't develop offensive talent... it's a genuine concern of mine (& others) and you spouting off about the sky falling or opening veins isn't doing anything to dispel that fact.

Laf having a great or heck even a GOOD game might... but at this point he better start soon and string some together or my stance isn't going to change and Lias & Kravtsov might agree.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Those big contracts were only going to be a problem when Kakko and Laf needed to be paid. That problem isn’t even on the horizon at this point.

They were only not going to be a problem if by some mystery, the players provided value in excess of or even equal to their cap hits.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016

BTW you forgot Panarin. In all seriousness every team pays its stars. If they don't someone else will. What is your point. We should not have signed them and let them walk? You don't pay them you end up paying some other players to come here. It is that way in every sport.

You can't run a team hoping some day that your young players will turn into stars and you need to reserve money in case you have to pay them. If they do that is an issue to deal with at that time.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Zibanejad, Kreider and Trouba are some of the main reasons why this team is where it is in the standings.

Kakko has been an average at best top 9 player this year, but Lafreniere has been nowhere close to that

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think there is a dangerous element of "happy to be here" attitude from Lafreniere.

I think, he needs an adjustment to his attitude with a trip to the AHL.

He needs to take more offensive risks as he is skilled enough to do that.

Ultimately, I still think it comes down to getting him a player with a shooters mentality as those players have the focus of finding open space. I dont think Chytil or Gauthier are those players

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Zibs, Kreider and Trouba are all overpaid but they are still good contributing players while Kakko and especially Laf really aren't. I mean Trouba has more points as a D than Kakko or Laf.

Reactions: McRanger92

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
Zibanejad, Kreider and Trouba are some of the main reasons why this team is where it is in the standings.

Kakko has been an average at best top 9 player this year, but Lafreniere has been nowhere close to that
Shesterken (and Fox) is the real reason we're anywhere near the top of the standings.

If we had two Giorgievs we would suck even if Laf scored more. Very good/ great goaltending has masked everything obviously wrong with the team and that's ok. We're making the playoffs and that will be fun. I believe we'll be even better next season. And Laf will score more. Kakko is already good.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Shesterken (and Fox) is the real reason we're anywhere near the top of the standings.

If we had two Giorgievs we would suck even if Laf scored more. Very good/ great goaltending has masked everything obviously wrong with the team and that's ok. We're making the playoffs and that will be fun. I believe we'll be even better next season. And Laf will score more. Kakko is already good.

Never said those 3 were the only reason we are good. The core of Igor/Fox/Panarin/Mika/Kreider/Trouba are all having great years. The young players are inconsistent at best and invisible at worst. Until that changes, our ceiling is probably a playoff team that can win a round, or 2 if Igor steals a series

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Yup. Need to fix that third pair and a little tinkering with the forward group (Cullye and Barron with a Pajuniemi cameo end of next year?).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Look at the line Lundell is on for Florida. It’s a 3rd line with a veteran in Hornqvist and a quick grinder in Marchmant. Those guys get in to the corners and drive the net. That creates space for Lundell. The Rangers don’t have a 3rd line right now. Chytil has been bad and Gauthier, while improved, isn’t that guy. Drury needs to find a veteran to play on that line. It would have been Blais but he is injured. Goodrow could easily be a replacement for Chytil but then what do you do with him?

They need a veteran 35-45 point hard nosed player for that line.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kaako
Panarin-Strome-Chytil
Lafreniere-Goodrow-_______
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

Thats what I would go with. It’s clear where the hole is. And attempting to throw Lafreniere, Chytil and Gauthier together isn’t working and it’s doing none of them any good.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Look at the line Lundell is on for Florida. It’s a 3rd line with a veteran in Hornqvist and a quick grinder in Marchmant. Those guys get in to the corners and drive the net. That creates space for Lundell. The Rangers don’t have a 3rd line right now. Chytil has been bad and Gauthier, while improved, isn’t that guy. Drury needs to find a veteran to play on that line. It would have been Blais but he is injured. Goodrow could easily be a replacement for Chytil but then what do you do with him?

They need a veteran 35-45 point hard nosed player for that line.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kaako
Panarin-Strome-Chytil
Lafreniere-Goodrow-_______
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

Thats what I would go with. It’s clear where the hole is. And attempting to throw Lafreniere, Chytil and Gauthier together isn’t working and it’s doing none of them any good.
I'm not a big line shuffling guy but I could get behind this and see where it goes (I guess Gauthier 3RW?)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Smith would be Taylor made for that open slot on Viper’s third line.

Ive been trying to look around for guys who I think may fit in that slot. Goodrow allows the team to look for either a center or wing which expands some options. Lehkonen from Montreal would be a good one. So would Gallagher although he has a longer term on his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad