Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
531D06F0-179A-4DB6-A100-90905DA96BE9.jpeg

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
And what about the teams that have tanked the last 7-8 years? Where are they? Why havent they won yet? It took Ovechkin what 12 years?

12 years is better than never. Which is what will likely happen (and has happened) with this team for the last 20 years.

You're correct in saying my guess is as good as any as to what will lead to the success of this franchise. But having witnessed one option (the one you're advocating for) fail time and again, I'd much prefer to try a new route.

You can stop acting like I think of myself as some genius hockey mind. I'm a nerd behind his keyboard chatting about hockey on a Thursday night. I would like to see this team succeed, but it's not going to ruin my moods if they continue to suck for the rest of my life. It's just a game.

I like to chat on here because it's interesting to talk with other knowledgeable people about the sport. I think you're one of them. And as I said earlier, I prefer not to exist in an echo chamber. Having serious debates is the fun part of being around here. People can disagree and still like each other.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I would be the best at making up rumors. Would always go "Several reports have NYR completing their first big trade before the deadline tonight but my sources tell me will make a trade tonight but my sources tell me that it is unlikely that all details will be completed tonight on any front, talks will continue tonight and tomorrow and could possible drag on over the weekend all the way to monday, I am told."

Then 00:01 book it.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
There's also teams with multiple top 3 picks - Florida (13 & 14), Buffalo and Edmonton that haven't won anything and don't appear to be that close to winning anything. You can make the argument for either. Basically three teams won with top picks and a bunch haven't.

Ok...but the point still stands.

Picking in the top 3 doesn't guarantee you a cup, but not getting an elite talent in the top 3 almost surely guarantees you won't win one. That is my point.

The path is much smoother if you pick in the top 3. You also need luck in that it's a good draft year. But the point is, if you're not picking there, it's much harder to find that core guy your team can be built around and, in general, leads to failure.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I can't stand posts about top3 picks and cup correlation.. Yes, we know.. Getting top talent helps win cups.

Being bad enough to consistently get top picks takes incompetence or sabotage. A big market team like the NYR will struggle with continually getting top 5 picks. What you're asking for is to become Edmonton, Colorado and Buffalo; to sabotage the team to a point of not being able to escape the black hole.

We have a 6 pick, a 7 pick , a 9 pick and potentially another top pick this year. It doesn't matter where they're drafted but how they produce. Yes, it's obvious top picks are the more talented players.

Pitt got Crosby because they 'won' the lottery. This is a rare example of luck and suckage to net top picks.

Hopefully we win the lottery. That's not a strategy though. Even if we were the worst team in the league, we'd statistically have a better chance at picking #4OA than in the top 3.

Reactions: egelband

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So McQuaid wasn't dealt?

Damn. Thought it would be a James Myrtle account that would get me.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
How is there no Billy Bob from Varsity Blues gif yet? 10 10 10

Answer: I am bad with embedding stuff

Reactions: Trxjw

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I can't stand posts about top3 picks and cup correlation.. Yes, we know.. Getting top talent helps win cups.

Being bad enough to consistently get top picks takes incompetence or sabotage. A big market team like the NYR will struggle with continually getting top 5 picks. What you're asking for is to become Edmonton, Colorado and Buffalo; to sabotage the team to a point of not being able to escape the black hole.

We have a 6 pick, a 7 pick , a 9 pick and potentially another top pick this year. It doesn't matter where they're drafted but how they produce. Yes, it's obvious top picks are the more talented players.

Pitt got Crosby because they 'won' the lottery. This is a rare example of luck and suckage to net top picks.

Hopefully we win the lottery. That's not a strategy though. Even if we were the worst team in the league, we'd statistically have a better chance at picking #4OA than in the top 3.

So because you hate it, it's not a valid point? I mean......it's quite obvious that in years that you suck, like this year, we should be doing all we can to finish as low as possible.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
12 years is better than never. Which is what will likely happen (and has happened) with this team for the last 20 years.

You're correct in saying my guess is as good as any as to what will lead to the success of this franchise. But having witnessed one option (the one you're advocating for) fail time and again, I'd much prefer to try a new route.

You can stop acting like I think of myself as some genius hockey mind. I'm a nerd behind his keyboard chatting about hockey on a Thursday night. I would like to see this team succeed, but it's not going to ruin my moods if they continue to suck for the rest of my life. It's just a game.

I like to chat on here because it's interesting to talk with other knowledgeable people about the sport. I think you're one of them. And as I said earlier, I prefer not to exist in an echo chamber. Having serious debates is the fun part of being around here. People can disagree and still like each other.
Never said i hated you.

I just dont think its apples to apples to compare adding say Panarin this offseason as it was to adding some the washed up players we did in the early 2000s. I dont think the situations are even remotely close to the same. We absolutely did not have (6) 1st round picks between 3 drafts. We may end up with (9) between 4 drafts, consecutively, after this one. I feel there is a lot of promise here. There is a ton of talent with Chytil and Kravtsov that can be amplified by adding a player like Panarin to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad