Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Zibanejad is a 60-70 point player when he's never even eclipsed 60 or 70? Hell he's hit 50 just once.

He will probably eclipse that this year but this is the highest scoring season since the mid 1990's so 60-70 still isn't particularly impressive, considering 10 players already have 60 points at this point in the season and 4 players already have 70.

It's hard to see where Zibanejad would slot on this team when it's ready to compete again. I'd be interest in a deal around a blue chipper like Necas but i'd obviously want some more on top of him.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Zibanejad is a 60-70 point player when he's never even eclipsed 60 or 70? Hell he's hit 50 just once.

He will probably eclipse that this year but this is the highest scoring season since the mid 1990's so 60-70 still isn't particularly impressive, considering 10 players already have 60 points at this point in the season and 4 players already have 70.

It's hard to see where Zibanejad would slot on this team when it's ready to compete again. I'd be interest in a deal around a blue chipper like Necas but i'd obviously want some more on top of him.
So youre comparing Mika to the elite players that have hit 60 and 70 points this year already? Cmon that is just unreasonable.

He is 25 years old. Last year he missed 10 games and finished with 47 points at age 24. The year before he missed 26 games and finished with 37 at age 23. He scored 51 at age 22.

He is finally healthy and his progression of production is back on track. And this season while playing on a poor rangers team that has no depth therefore opposing teams have the luxury of zeroing in on his line. And for a period his wingers were Namestnikov and Fast.

Look at the whole picture before putting together your judgement of him.

He is easily a 60 point player moving forward and he absolutely slots in when this team is competitive again.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
So breaking down the 2018-2020 drafts.

Gospel according to Edge (subject to my opinion and people I chat with):

2018 is/was seen as having the best depth beyond the first round of the three drafts.

2019 is generally seen as having better depth at the front of the draft, and solid, but not quite as good of depth in the latter half of the first. It's seen as lacking the depth beyond the first.

2020, right now, is seen as having a very good top end, but a steeper fall-off after the top prospects.

If you're looking for bigger returns in the top 10, 2019 and 2020 are seen as giving you better odds.

If you're looking for bigger returns with late first round picks, 2018 and to a less extent 2019 are seen as giving you better odds.

If you're looking looking for the best chances to find talent outside of the first round, 2018 is seen as being the better draft for that.
This kind of changed though, the 2019 class is looking way deeper than 2018 at this point. It was originally supposed to be an average class with meh depth but it’s definitely upped its stock. I like the top 10 better in 2019 as well (aside from first overall) and I think it’s deeper all around. I’ve said that last years second round will be great but I already take 2019’s second round over it. And 2020 is a class comparable to 2015, insane top 10 with great depth across the 1st round. 2nd round is still an unknown

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I don't know about the timeline portion there, I mean the Zbad contract ends in 3 seasons after this one, he's going to be like 28-29 at that point, are the Rangers going to have two better centers than he is at that point? Seems like a lot of progress among the prospects, especially the center ones would have to take place between now and then to at least have the Rangers not at all considering an extension, should he still be playing well and all that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Something to keep in mind with the scoring leaders is that there's the haves and the have-nots.

For example, of the top 21 scorers: 3 play for Tampa, 4 for Calgary, 3 for Colorado, 2 for Edmonton, 2 for Toronto, 2 for Winnipeg and 2 for Boston.

That means 7 teams have 18 of the top 21 scorers in the league. And there are a number of other guys sitting in the top 30, if we were to expand our search, who would give Pittsburgh 3 representatives in the top 30, and Columbus 2.

So that would be 9 teams with 23 of the top the 30 scorers in the league.

And that doesn't take into account that Toronto has been without Matthews and Nylander for stretches, the Tampa has Hedman, and that Winnipeg also has Laine.

And looking at that list, there's an awful lot of first overall picks, and guys taken in the top 10 in their draft classes. Just going to throw that out there for the sake of conversations about finding elite talent in the back half of the first round and beyond.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This kind of changed though, the 2019 class is looking way deeper than 2018 at this point. It was originally supposed to be an average class with meh depth but it’s definitely upped its stock. I like the top 10 better in 2019 as well (aside from first overall) and I think it’s deeper all around. I’ve said that last years second round will be great but I already take 2019’s second round over it. And 2020 is a class comparable to 2015, insane top 10 with great depth across the 1st round. 2nd round is still an unknown

I gotta admit, I disagree on the 2018 vs. 2019 take and generally speaking, I think most people in the sport probably would take 2018 over 2019 without too much lost sleep.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I just don't see how the bolded makes any sense. Why are we assuming all of our prospects are going to pan out perfectly?

Reactions: Bob Richards

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I just don't see how the bolded makes any sense. Why are we assuming all of our prospects are going to pan out perfectly?
Exactly, we have right now one prospect that is surefire NHLer for 10 years+, and that is one of our top 3 prospects. We have to hedge our bets in this rebuilding.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'll use the Leafs as a comparison.

Zibanejad is Nazem Kadri (also a 50-60 point player). Look where Kadri slots in on that Leafs team after taking the next step. He's now a relatively replaceable player on that squad.

Rangers need to find an Auston Matthews and/or John Tavares/Mitch Marner. Is Necas one of them? Most likely not, but we know Zibanejad is 100% definitely not.

I would want some significant add to him but again a deal i'd definitely consider.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He has played maybe 50 games as a center in his life
I know, but I still think it's not unlikely to think he could end up playing center. As of now there just isn't a spot available but once Hayes gets moved they may keep him at center for the remainder of the season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know, but I still think it's not unlikely to think he could end up playing center. As of now there just isn't a spot available but once Hayes gets moved they may keep him at center for the remainder of the season.

Let's hope he improves at that position then because so far I am not impressed with what he has done at center. He's much better suited on the wing

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I gotta admit, I disagree on the 2018 vs. 2019 take and generally speaking, I think most people in the sport probably would take 2018 over 2019 without too much lost sleep.
2018 class was a bit overrated due to Dahlin/Svech at the top and 2019 is underrated due to no consensus #1 that’s head and shoulders above everyone else

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I'll use the Leafs as a comparison.

Zibanejad is Nazem Kadri (also a 50-60 point player). Look where Kadri slots in on that Leafs team after taking the next step. He's now a relatively replaceable player on that squad.

Rangers need to find an Auston Matthews and/or John Tavares/Mitch Marner. Is Necas one of them? Most likely not, but we know Zibanejad is 100% definitely not.

I would want some significant add to him but again a deal i'd definitely consider.
I love how we’re so high on Necas being a stud when he’s still in the AHL but Lias is considered a near-bust around here. Same with Chytil who everyone’s up and down on.

Reactions: jas

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Anyone can be traded for the right return. Zibanejad is a very good player with the tools to be a great player but he's not untouchable if someone came along and gave me the right offer. There's no place for fear in a rebuild.

I happen to think Necas has the ability to be every bit as good as Zibanejad is now. Perhaps better. If Carolina offered him for Zib and added another piece or two it'd be hard to turn down.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Kupo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad