Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Trouba did play LD a bit in Winnipeg. My thing is what are the alternatives ? Move one of these guys so we can have Hajek play over one our ultra talented RHD? I'll gladly take the challenges of them being on their offhand versus having Hajek playing... No disrespect to him. I wonder though, and I'm not sure it's realistic, but the challenges of being on their offhand versus overall talent what if we wind up seeing a D group of Trouba, Fox, TDA, Miller, Lundkvist and Keane?
The chances of success of someone moving from side to side is not great. And the chances of Gorton and JD building a defense that primarily consists of small puck moving defensemen is also very small.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have two concerns about this

1) Very few teams have their top 3 D all playing on the same side of the ice. We'd need to teach Fox or ADA the left.

2) Our defense as currently composed is not defending well, objectively. SO the idea of giving huge salary bumps to guys we already have- when it clearly isn't working- seems like going in the wrong direction to me.

#2 is alleviated somewhat if we think that a) The struggles of our defense having nothing to do with Trouba/ADA and are entirely a function of the system/forward support/ left side or b) We assume that they will improve with time- but I think ADA and Trouba are pretty much done developing.
You can probably throw #1 out the window. If it could have happened, it already would have.

For #2 & 3, players that can be offensive difference makers, you certainly give them bumps. But you cannot have an entire team of smallish puck movers and they need to be balanced out with bigger, steadier partners.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
The chances of success of someone moving from side to side is not great. And the chances of Gorton and JD building a defense that primarily consists of small puck moving defensemen is also very small.
I don't think its a long term solution, I'm sure someone would be moved I'm just curious if it came down to top 4 dman on their offhand vs bottom pairing dman on their natural side how'd they react to that

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Trouba did play LD a bit in Winnipeg. My thing is what are the alternatives ? Move one these guys so we can have Hajek play over one our ultra talented RHD? I'll gladly take the challenges of them being on their offhand versus having Hajek playing... No disrespect to him. I wonder though, and I'm not sure it's realistic, but the challenges of being on their offhand versus overall talent what if we wind up seeing a D group of Trouba, Fox, TDA, Miller, Lundkvist and Keane?
If one of them can move to LD we're really set, and we'd have such versatility when injuries or penalties happen as well. I haven't seen any numbers but people have said it's extremely rare for RD's to play on the left side, but I'd presume that's partially because RD's are so rare to come by.

Playing defense on your off-hand introduces a litany of challenges though. Picture a right-handed dman on the left side skating backwards while a wingers entering the zone, since their left hand is holding their stick their mobility & reach in stick checking is far worse and they're on their backhand. They're also on their backhand whenever they're in board battles and trying to clear the puck. Every D to D pass the player can't just skate forward with it unless they're on their backhand, they would have to pivot inward every time.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Fox drives the offense just as much as he does and he’s a rookie. Lundkvist projects to be a superior player than D’Angelo.

I don’t know where this thought comes from. I know he’s having a good year, but if Nils is an equivalent talent to Tony, that would be great news for the Rangers. I’m certainly not projecting more than that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would venture a guess that something along these lines will probably be the Rangers mindset.

This is a team that has depth pieces in the system and on the horizon. If they're moving someone like ADA, it's for someone they view as an impact player.
Has to be. Again all is predicated on who DeAngelo is evolving into. A Kyle Connor type is also on my mind.

But there is simply no rush to move him. There is no log jam and there is the arbitration process. If a deal comes along that fits with what Gorton & JD envision, then I am sure that they will not have any issue making the move. But when I start to read reasons such as Lundqvist and Keane are coming......oh my.....

Reactions: rangers1314

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
for now, we have 3 excellent right handed defenders who seem to compliment one another.

the left side is far more troublesome.

in addition, there doesnt seem anyone ready to step in and play right away that can project to have the impact that the current right side has. nils isnt near ready. keane same.

the left side is staal and skjei and young guys.

if anything i would be hoping for a retirement party for marc staal- not happening and perhaps a trade involving brady skjei- (who needs a lobotomy) and someone attached to him to sweeten the deal for a centerman or a forward with some size and hands. i wouldn't rule out another lefty D coming back either if the suits dont think anyone his ready to play big minutes once brady is dealt.

i love the right side today and tomo. i keep that as is.

the left side minus staal and skeji sounds scary but i think we can add a decent FA to play some mins and fill in with hajek, lindy and rykov and perhaps an upgrade - read : more defensively responsible FA dman.

miller is atleast 18 mos away.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
We can sign TDA and then trade one or more of our myriad d-prospects to help out our forward pipeline which is looking quite dry and will look even more so once Kreider /Strome are gone. Also I hope Gorts and co will do whatever they can to get someone to trade for Skjei. That contract will be problem goin forward.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
We can sign TDA and then trade one or more of our myriad d-prospects to help out our forward pipeline which is looking quite dry and will look even more so once Kreider /Strome are gone. Also I hope Gorts and co will do whatever they can to get someone to trade for Skjei. That contract will be problem goin forward.

I still have a sneaking suspicion that Strome sticks around and re-signs.

Reactions: NYRangers16

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

If Fox passes ADA on the depth chart and one of those prospects shows that they can play in the NHL, then it would make more sense to trade ADA in that scenario. We will save cap space and we will get more in return.

Either way, the decision is likely a year or two away.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
What log jam? There is no log jam. Lundqvist is NOT in North America. Keane is in Hartford and there is nothing in his play that suggests he will be better. Cap issues? Fox still has a few more years on his ECL while DeAngelo is only next year going to be coming into his RFA years. Where is the issue?
I'm not saying there is one. My response was saying that the people that want to move them are the ones saying there is a log jam. I'm in agreement that so far there is really no one waiting in the wings

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I have to tell you, I just don't know if that happens with Chytil and company in the system.

Having said that, I don't think the TDL is a given for him at this point, if they do move him.

Strome isn't blocking Chytil, even now.

Is LA a 3C anytime soon? Has Howden shown anything to make people believe he's a 3C?

Strome can play wing or center and do so up and down the line up. Plus, he seems to have found "a place" here under DQ after the hell on earth that was Edmonton for him.

I'm not pushing for him to be resigned, but I see the value in what he brings and think perhaps he'd be willing to meet in the middle on a 3/4 year deal to stay in a place where he's having success....but maybe not. Who knows.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
If one of them can move to LD we're really set, and we'd have such versatility when injuries or penalties happen as well. I haven't seen any numbers but people have said it's extremely rare for RD's to play on the left side, but I'd presume that's partially because RD's are so rare to come by.

Playing defense on your off-hand introduces a litany of challenges though. Picture a right-handed dman on the left side skating backwards while a wingers entering the zone, since their left hand is holding their stick their mobility & reach in stick checking is far worse and they're on their backhand. They're also on their backhand whenever they're in board battles and trying to clear the puck. Every D to D pass the player can't just skate forward with it unless they're on their backhand, they would have to pivot inward every time.
Absolutely, and really we're only having this convo because the left side is so unspectacular. If we had another top 4 LHD we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. Skeji is here, Miller has high upside and everyone else is a bit more of a question mark. The only way I'd ship out one of these guys eventually and not have someone on their offside in the future is if we have an upgrade over Hajek and Lindgren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad