Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
I'm just confused as to why people are so quick to trade ADA. His value is only going to go up and haven't we been looking for a righty dman for years who can put points up? Love the kid, love his tenacity, and seems to be a great teammate. The dude also makes plays happen. If we can find the right partner for his left side, we are in for a real treat for the next few years with that pairing

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
so Fox is dealet for 2 - 2nds. Worth it likely though.

NYR doesnt have a 2nd but does have 2 - 3rd rounders plus Kreider likely goes for more high pick(s)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'm just confused as to why people are so quick to trade ADA. His value is only going to go up and haven't we been looking for a righty dman for years who can put points up? Love the kid, love his tenacity, and seems to be a great teammate. The dude also makes plays happen. If we can find the right partner for his left side, we are in for a real treat for the next few years with that pairing

Well this may not happen but its clear they have 3 good RD. Trouba is signed long term and Fox is not going anywhere..........they have to pay ADA so lets say he gets an extension the regresses........well then they are stuck with that contract meanwhile Keane and/or Lundqvist are ready to come in...........that's a problem as ADA would be benched.

If they can trade him for a really good young F to replace Kreider who's likely dealt at the deadline well that's not bad asset management to me

Reactions: NYRangers16

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the ONLY scenario that deangelo gets moved at this point, imo, is if his contract demands are so high that it turns him into a bad value...I'm a huge fan of Lundkvist but it makes absolutely ZERO sense to move ADA before he has even signed or steps foot in NA.
I just made this point in the DeAngelo thread, DeAngelo cannot really price himself out right now as he is looking at several years worth of being an RFA and the Rangers could simply take him to arbitration.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Well this may not happen but its clear they have 3 good RD. Trouba is signed long term and Fox is not going anywhere..........they have to pay ADA so lets say he gets an extension the regresses........well then they are stuck with that contract meanwhile Keane and/or Lundqvist are ready to come in...........that's a problem as ADA would be benched.

If they can trade him for a really good young F to replace Kreider who's likely dealt at the deadline well that's not bad asset management to me

Great logic. Let's just avoid re-signing all our of young players that are playing great hockey because they might regress.

Or better yet, let's trade them for pennies on the dollar for a dime a dozen player like Johnsson on the Leafs.

:dunce:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Outside of Kreider, I think the only way some of these moves progress to fruition is if there's a deal for an established, youngish NHL player on the table.

I just don't see the Rangers moving ADA at this point because of what Lundkvist might be in a few years. Likewise, I really don't think they like the idea of moving Skjei at this time.

Now, do the Rangers consider those moves for the right names? Sure. But I just don't know if that's in the more immediate future.

Absolutely agreed. Due to cost and positional redundancy, I think he will be moved – eventually.

At the earliest this coming summer, but more likely the summer after that. And when it happens, it'll be a "hockey trade" leveraging a position of strength to address a position of weakness.

If DeAngelo is going to be 55-60 point player, why in the world would Gorton look to move him? At that point you learn to live with the defesive warts as there are simply not that many players like that. IF that is what DeAngelo is, the chances of Lundqvist being that are almost non-existent.

At some point, you need to look at see what is actually being produced by Player A as opposed to what you are hoping can be produced by Player B.

Also agreed. Which is why I listed the timeframe I did in my answer to @Edge above.

As to the why they'll trade him then, the answer will be because a) you'll have Trouba putting up 45-50, Fox putting up anywhere between 40-60+ himself, not enough playing time and salary cap to pay them all... and solid replacements coming up through the organization behind them.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I wouldn't mind seeing Fox take a few shifts at LD, just for ****'s and giggles. Long term:

Fox-Trouba
Miller-ADA
Robertson-Lundkvist

:popcorn:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As to the why they'll trade him then, the answer will be because a) you'll have Trouba putting up 45-50, Fox putting up anywhere between 40-60+ himself, not enough playing time and salary cap to pay them all... and solid replacements coming up through the organization behind them.
I would need to see several yeas of such production first before even considering moving him. He has arbitration coming for a few years, they (the Rangers) have the luxury of seeing how everything unfolds.

Again, if DeAngelo is 20 goals, 60 points, then would probably be others that get moved to create cap space. Or so I believe.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
you simply cannot move ADA when hes on the cusp of becoming a 60 point guy.

you just cant.

as for brady, im just not in love with this decision making in any zone. he just doesnt stir the drink for me in any way.

i actually like lindgrens game better rn.

Reactions: Mr Clutch

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
you simply cannot move ADA when hes on the cusp of becoming a 60 point guy.

you just cant.

as for brady, im just not in love with this decision making in any zone. he just doesnt stir the drink for me in any way.

i actually like lindgrens game better rn.

Reasons to trade ADA over Fox are too many to list.

However, Trouba is an alternative. The issue is that Troubs is far less of a gong show defensively than ADA, and brings a shot that ADA does not.

I'd be fine with trading either Trouba or ADA, as long as one of them goes.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

However, Trouba is an alternative. The issue is that Troubs is far less of a gong show defensively than ADA, and brings a shot that ADA does not.

Trouba's also the only guy in the org outside of recent 4th round longshot Skinner that brings the physical presence that he does.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

reasons for trading none of the right side are many

the left side needs attention. the corsi for the entire left side off this defense is something to behold.

i mean its really um..... something.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Can't really agree with this.. I think he's had his moments of inexperience, which shouldn't surprise anyone... But I think he's been a very solid addition overall.
He's inexperienced for sure

He may look okay via eye test but his numbers reflect his play not being great. Which is expected for a 21 year old defender

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In another few weeks, I'm hopeful the team takes a look at Rykov in place of either Hajek or Lindgren. Just to see what they have. People talk about the right side of the defense eventually being over-crowded however the left side, if Rykov can show he is NHL ready, has (4) guys + Staal. Skjei, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, Staal.

Although in fairness if Keane keeps playing like he has in the AHL, the right side will be over-crowded as well

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
In another few weeks, I'm hopeful the team takes a look at Rykov in place of either Hajek or Lindgren. Just to see what they have. People talk about the right side of the defense eventually being over-crowded however the left side, if Rykov can show he is NHL ready, has (4) guys + Staal. Skjei, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, Staal.

Although in fairness if Keane keeps playing like he has in the AHL, the right side will be over-crowded as well

agree on rykov. lets see what hes got

we seem to have many options in the D pipeline.

forwards not so much

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
agree on rykov. lets see what hes got

we seem to have many options in the D pipeline.

forwards not so much

And this is where the D for a forward talk comes from.

I'd be more inclined, this upcoming off-season, to trade a young defenseman like Hajek for a comparable forward prospect. Or to package a guy like Hajek with a guy like Howden or Andersson to get a good young forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad